Try 30 days of free premium.

What do "score" represents, from show search

ivanskodje wrote 6 years ago: 1

Example End point URL:
http://api.tvmaze.com/search/shows?q=halt-and-catch-fire

You get an object that has a score and the Show. What do the score represent, and what makes it different than "ranking", found inside the Show?

In context:

weight: Overall show popularity (0-100). A value of 100 would indicate that it is the most popular show.

ranking->average: Average rank given by users (1-10).

score: ??

On a separate note, here is another suggestion for how we may make information more accessible: json documentation explaining what the keys and values represents. :)

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

I suppose that's a relevance of the search result. If you do the search which returns a multiple results, each of them will have the score lesser than previous. E.g. http://api.tvmaze.com/search/shows?q=girls

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

Score is how relevant it is to your search and is comprised of multiple factors;

The weight contributes partly to the score, so a more popular show may be scored higher as people are more likely to search for popular shows.

An exact match to your search will boost the score.

For partial matches, shorter show names that match will have a higher score than longer names.

If a match is found only in an AKA name and not the main title, it will have a lower score than ones that match in the main title.

P.S. Due to there being multiple factors, an exact match might not always be scored the highest.

Thank you.
To confirm; The "score" is simply a value given to indicate relevance to your search.

What range does it have? 0-100? 1-100?

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

ivanskodje wrote:
Thank you.
To confirm; The "score" is simply a value given to indicate relevance to your search.

What range does it have? 0-100? 1-100?

Yes, it's the relevance.

In real terms, it's probably closer to 1 - 40 (anything that would have been less than 1 probably wouldn't be counted as a match).

gazza911 wrote:
Yes, it's the relevance.

In real terms, it's probably closer to 1 - 40 (anything that would have been less than 1 probably wouldn't be counted as a match).

Appreciate it!

I will note it down as a value that may have a range of 1-40 (although it would be nice to get a more exact documentation from the admins) :)

david wrote:
Score is the literal value calculated by Elasticsearch: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/scoring-theory.html. If you're not sure what it means, you should probably ignore it. If you do want to use it, the key takeaway is to only compare the values within a single search request, but not globally across different searches.

Since I am working on a TVMaze wrapper for Java, I need all the values and all the documentation possible. It is not about what I will or won't use :)

Try 30 days of free premium.