Try 30 days of free premium.

La Casa de Papel / Money Heist

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/27436/la-casa-de-papel

From what I could tell, the original Spanish TV version was 15x70', aired on Antena 3 in two parts, 9+6 episodes. The Netflix version (Money Heist) was re-edited to make episodes shorter without losing the footage, so they have first part as 13x45' (roughly), and the second part as 9x45', expanding the whole series from 15 to 22 episodes.

We have this show listed with 15 episodes for the Spanish Antena 3 channel. The question is: should we have a Netflix version as a separate entry, considering such a big discrepancy in the episode listings?

The policy do not allow Versions of a show with the original episodes split into multiple episodes, but this case IMO is not exactly fits this description, rather a combination of splitting with Versions of an original show that have been heavily cut; i.e. cutting a 60-minute episode to 30 minutes, which are considered a grey area, so I'd be glad to hear other opinions :)

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

I don't think we should create a new entry for this show. This show has not been heavily cut, but re-edited to a different episode order like you said yourself. Basically Netflix airs 2 episodes at once now.

We indeed made an exception to one of Netflix's their shows, but this was very heavily cut. Hunan aired this show as 96 episodes of 45 minutes, while Netflix airs them as 6 episodes of 90 minutes. To create it as a 6 episode series, they've cut so many scenes you could consider it as a complete new series. https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/12493/empresses-in-the-palace

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

I watched the show, both versions, it is almost the same, just a few edits :)

Ok, guys, thanks for the info :)

I wasn't watched it, so didn't know, how much the difference is. Apparently there's virtually no difference, so no need to create a separate entry.

Resolved :)

tolham wrote 6 years ago: 1

We should definitely have a new version that matches the Netflix episode numbering.

Gadfly wrote 6 years ago: 1

tolham wrote:
We should definitely have a new version that matches the Netflix episode numbering.

Given the site policy, why?

To match the episode numbering, as I said. I'm watching it on Netflix right now and so far I can mark off each episode as watched, but once I get to episode 16, I can't do that. Why not? What's wrong with being accurate?

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

tolham wrote:
To match the episode numbering, as I said. I'm watching it on Netflix right now and so far I can mark off each episode as watched, but once I get to episode 16, I can't do that. Why not? What's wrong with being accurate?

But we only track the ptemiere airdates and those are the spanish ones. As I said I compared the two versions and the differences are miniscule, so it does not justify its own listing. I hope you understand :)

I don't understand why you can't track the US premiere dates, as well as the US episode numbering.

tolham wrote:
I don't understand why you can't track the US premiere dates, as well as the US episode numbering.

Why would we do that for the non-US show? Netflix is providing the series from all around the world. The vast majority of those series were premiered in their home countries way before Netflix picked them. First come first served :)

Because the episode numbering is different, as I've said multiple times now. When I finish watching Money Heist on Netflix, I'll have watched 22 episodes. One of the main services that TVMAZE provides is an easy way to track how many episodes a person has watched, ergo, there needs to be 22 episodes for Money Heist.

Unfortunately it's not gonna happen. TVmaze policy explicitly does not allow versions of a show that shuffle the season numbering or episode order, or versions of a show with the original episodes split into multiple episodes. Ergo, only the original 15 episode version is allowed to exist in TVmaze database.

And I suppose we're just mere mortals who can't allow exceptions even when it makes sense. Unfortunate indeed.

Aidan wrote 6 years ago: 1

I always assumed the alternate order feature would be able to merge or split double episodes and such, thus creating a different number of episodes.

Anyways, I said "might", I covered my bases :)

david wrote 6 years ago: 1

tolham wrote:
And I suppose we're just mere mortals who can't allow exceptions even when it makes sense. Unfortunate indeed.

We don't allow multiple entries for the same show because that would generate a huge amount of duplicate/redundant information. All information (like each episode's guest cast, guest crew, cast appearances) would have to be added twice and any changes would have to be manually copied to the other entry. Comments on one entry's episode are not visible at the other entry's episode. And so on. That's obviously not a proper solution.

Indeed https://www.tvmaze.com/threads/173/alternate-episode-numbering-eg-dvd-order is the pending feature that would cover this problem. It's likely that this feature would cover "splitting" and "merging" as well, since that's a common discrepancy between TV and DVD listings.

Aidan wrote:
I always assumed the alternate order feature would be able to merge or split double episodes and such, thus creating a different number of episodes.

Anyways, I said "might", I covered my bases :)

Yeah, double episodes are easy. But how would you split 15 episodes into 22? )))) And how would you define cast and crew appearances for each part? I think it would lead to more confusion...

The good thing is that's a very rare case, I can't quite remember another one :) But the networks keeps inventing a new ways to screw us over :D

Aidan wrote 6 years ago: 1

Where I live it's not entirely uncommon to split episodes on BBC shows into two parts to fit in commercials. Then there's webisodes merged together to create longer episodes for TV and so on. In the end I think we're gonna end up with a lot of cases where the episode count differs.

Addic7ed wrote 5 years ago: 1

Hi, back to this topic, since a season 3 has been ordered by Netflix (not Antena 3 which is no longer part of the project), so either the listing should be modified according to Netflix's episode guide, or an English version of the show created (like many sites did), with 2 seasons (for now) and a third to come.

So tvmaze policy worked as long as it was the Spanish show, made by Antena 3, but it's no longer the case since it has be bought by Netflix.

Try 30 days of free premium.