Try 30 days of free premium.

DSW :: Magnum P.I. (CBS)

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

Dead Show Walking :: Magnum P.I. (CBS)

The premiere episode, following Big Bang & Young Sheldon leads, had just a 1.2 rating ... at 9pm ... on CBS ... dead show walking. Magnum was down 1.3 from Big Bang and 0.5 from Young Sheldon. Manifest on NBC an hour later at 10pm was a full point ahead at a 2.2 rating with more total viewers to boot. While some shows start out lower and climb in the ratings, the majority do not. Obviously it's too early to say 100% the show is headed for cancellation, but it doesn't have a lot of room/time to change things around ratings wise. I'm sure CBS was salivating at the thought of another Hawaii Five-0 syndication deal and might give the show more leeway than normal but at this point, it does not look good for the new Magnum. Delayed viewing and potential ratings increases will tell the tale, likely within a month after the numbers for the 3rd & 4th episodes are available. ymmv

For a review of the pilot by LadyShelly, see https://www.tvmaze.com/articles/337/i-saw-the-sunrise-magnum-pi-s01e01-review

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

haven't been able to watch it so far, as I caught a nasty stomach flu, but will definitely give it a try :)

Rickiesgal wrote 5 years ago: 1

I watched it and it was only ok. My gut says it won't last long. the scenarios are a bit much and the chemistry is not right. even the dialog just didn't feel right. it gets a meh from me.

In the preliminary numbers for episode #2, Magnum fell 25% week-to-week to a 0.9 rating ... sub 1 in only it's 2nd episode ... not looking good.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

SilverSurfer wrote:
In the preliminary numbers for episode #2, Magnum fell 25% week-to-week to a 0.9 rating ... sub 1 in only it's 2nd episode ... not looking good.

it is a dead chicken... :)

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

No moustache = no rating XD

Good news / Bad news for episode #3 ... good news is that it did not drop further and maintained last weeks 0.9 rating ... bad news is it is still a 9pm show on CBS with a sub 1.0 rating early in it's first season

LadyShelley wrote 5 years ago: 1

The series isn't going anywhere, it's right at the network average.

LadyShelley wrote:
The series isn't going anywhere, it's right at the network average.

Time will tell. It's still to early to say, for sure, either way but ... a freshman show on CBS in the 9pm slot already has 2 of 3 episodes rated under 1.0 ... if this is acceptable to CBS then they should just rename themselves The CW and close the other network down. I have no doubt it'll burn off it's original 13 episode order, it may even score a back order of some number, but at this point a second season seems highly unlikely. If it gets a back order of less than 9, it's 99.9999% a goner.

sub 1 is going to be the norm soon (maybe as early as this season, certainly by next season). If CBS and the rest decide to cancel anything with a sub 1 rating, that will be about 2/3 of their schedules. CBS average right now is a 1.0, as long as the show maintains where it is, it will be renewed. The network likes Peter Lenkov, they have a sweet production deal with the state of Hawaii, and the show is owned by CBS; it would have to drop a lot (say to 0.5 range) before cancellation was on the table.

Preliminary ratings for the 4th episode show an 11% drop to a 0.8 ... just to compare, Blue Bloods had the same rating with ~3 million more viewers @ 10pm on Friday last week and a larger share to boot. Meanwhile a 10pm show on NBC continues to out perform Magnum bigly.

So Magnum would be a fine show for Fridays, but if CBS accepts the mediocre~crappy ratings at 9pm on Mondays then heads need to start rolling at CBS ... if you don't expect, nay demand! better ratings from your shows even in this changing landscape then you will continue to see averages slide and eventually an environment that can not sustain 4.5 major broadcast networks. I don't see the numbers for the Spanish language networks often but when I do, they frequently are out performing one or two of the major English nets and almost always The CW ... better numbers with a smaller audience pool ... better ratings are possible on broadcast but only if TPTB demand better and are brutal with those who fall short.

A small glimmer of hope ... MPI gained 0.1 in the final ratings and ended up even with the last 2 weeks @ 0.9 thus, at this point I'd say, stabilizing in the ratings. Is it enough? I still say no, at least not in the current time slot. If CBS accepts a sub 1.0 show at 9pm Monday through Thursday then they should just close their doors and turn off the lights ... it's over for them.

Aidan wrote 5 years ago: 1

They could always move it to another day.

Hawaii Five-0 is in it's 9th season with a cast that keeps complaining about the workload, so I i don't see it lasting much longer than a season or two

Then there'd be a Friday spot open, which would be a better fit for this show, I think.

Aidan wrote:
They could always move it to another day.

Hawaii Five-0 is in it's 9th season with a cast that keeps complaining about the workload, so I i don't see it lasting much longer than a season or two

Then there'd be a Friday spot open, which would be a better fit for this show, I think.

If it could still keep that 0.8~0.9, agree it would slide in there nicely.

It's like she knows what she's talking about ;)

CBS GIVES FULL SEASON ORDERS TO “GOD FRIENDED ME,” “MAGNUM P.I.” AND “THE NEIGHBORHOOD” FOR THE 2018-2019 BROADCAST SEASON

MAGNUM P.I. reaches over nine million viewers each week, improving the Monday 9:00-10:00 PM hour by +50% over last season. MAGNUM P.I. stars Jay Hernandez, Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill, Tim Kang and Amy Hill. Peter Lenkov, Eric Guggenheim, Justin Lin, John Davis, John Fox and Danielle Woodrow are executive producers for CBS Television Studios in association with Universal Television. It airs Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

We'll see come May '19 ... this could be a case of they need something to put on the air and don't have anything to fill the spot or at least anything they have confidence in ... but if CBS is happy with a sub 1.0 show at 9pm on a weekday, they deserve whatever comes their way ... if you don't demand better, you get stuck with a mediocre reboot with abysmal ratings ... on the bright side ABC, NBC, Fox & The CW have to be happy with this decision. :)

Try 30 days of free premium.