Try 30 days of free premium.

Talk shows with additional guests.

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 1

While I was watching the episodes of Busy Tonight where I liked the guest she had on, namely the first episode, Mindy Kaling was her actual guest but a handful of other late night hosts also showed up in a little pre-recorded segment where she was backstage on their shows or they sent her video messages, but they weren't the actual guests. How should we handle when people randomly show up but are not actually the guests of the night? This happens a good bit, like when Jimmy Fallon plays games with his guests they will sometimes they bring in other celebrities that might have been in the building or something to be partners with them, and times like when James Corden had a pre-recorded video with Chris Pratt where they went hiking but Chris Pratt wasn't his guest that episode, or when Niall Horan walked out pretending to be James' new water boy, plus all of his Carpool Karaoke segments. Sometimes an actor will just show up to show a trailer and leave, this has happened with Tom Holland and Chris Pratt before.

Should we keep the episode titles as the guests announced and have them as guest stars and then add any additional/surprise appearances as co-stars, or should they be listed as uncredited since technically they weren't announced as being guests for that night?

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Well, it's simple :) On-screen data have the precedence over the press release. Actual appearance beats press release announcement.

The same happens with i.e. Talking Dead. Apart from the studio guests they have some pre-recorded segments with the show stars and crew. Usually they have the on-screen lower third title, some of them (rare) don't. So I'm adding the former as a guest stars, and the latter as uncredited.

Actually it's not different from the scripted shows, where some of the guest stars could be announced in the press release, and some don't, but they all credited on-screen.

Well with the game partners on Fallon and Niall Horan's appearance, they didn't have title cards with their names, but they were just introduced when they were brought out or were at least mentioned after they showed up (for example, I want to say James Corden said "Niall Horan everybody!" after he left the stage). The Busy Tonight appearances also didn't have name title card but she would either be at their show and talking to them there or would be filming something on her phone and say something like "Oh, I'm getting a message from Seth Meyers" and then the message from Seth Meyers would show, etc etc.

So we should only list them as guest stars if they're the announced guest or if their name shows up on screen, and everything else is uncredited then?

kevin87 wrote:
So we should only list them as guest stars if they're the announced guest or if their name shows up on screen, and everything else is uncredited then?

I suppose so. Maybe others have a different opinion?

MTQueenie wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'd say if they appeared but wasn't listed as a guest then add them as uncredited.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

MTQueenie wrote:
I'd say if they appeared but wasn't listed as a guest then add them as uncredited.

+1

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
I suppose so. Maybe others have a different opinion?

If they have a credit, either onscreen or verbal, I think they get guest star credit but if there is no sort of direct acknowledgement of their name then it's uncredited. Sometimes the lack of credit is to due to appearance fees or some such legal mumbo jumbo ... big stars can't be seen slumming on scale pay just as a goof as opposed to promoting a project. ymmv

MTQueenie wrote:

Wasn't listed where, in press release? But on-screen credits have precedence over press release. Or you mean wasn't listed at all, just appeared?

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

The question is, does the show somehow "credit" them? Is there an on-screen credit? A verbal announcement ("Tonight's guests include...")? Something else?

How is it determined that they're the "actual" guests of the night? Whatever that means is, if it isn't used for certain people, presumably they'd be Uncredited.

For instance, on the old Johnny Carson Show, Carson had some "players" who regularly appeared in sketches. SNL is another one. Are they credited at the end in the small print? Credited at all? That would help determine how "bigger" stars are credited on the same type of shows.

MTQueenie wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Wasn't listed where, in press release? But on-screen credits have precedence over press release. Or you mean wasn't listed at all, just appeared?

The ones that are announced we list in the "title" and add as guest, if someone else appears and is credited onscreen then i would also list those as guest but not in the "title", however if someone appears but isn't credited onscreen i would list them as uncredited.

MTQueenie wrote:
The ones that are announced we list in the "title" and add as guest, if someone else appears and is credited onscreen then i would also list those as guest but not in the "title", however if someone appears but isn't credited onscreen i would list them as uncredited.

Yeah, I agree, that's exactly what I've meant :)

MTQueenie wrote:

The problem I'm having is not many actually credit them the way a scripted show credits the cast. I will admit I only watch episodes when I like the guests, and generally only once the interview portion starts so I don't know how the opening credits are handled and don't stick around after the interview is done so I can't speak on the end credits either (maybe I should start), but I know some will show their names on the opening like Conan did, and Graham Norton shows them at the end... but then for instance, Niall Horan just did a small little joke where he came out pretending to be James Corden's new water boy. He isn't mentioned by name or in any official way, just came on and off, so he'd be uncredited, but then sometimes Jimmy Fallon will bring additional celebrities out to partner with himself or the guest when they play games, but they're only introduced verbally with no on screen text... so the main thing is do we credit them only if they were announced officially by the network and/or if their names are shown on screen, or does verbal only introduction count as well?

On Sunday's episode of Busy Tonight, the guests were Tina Fey and Tom Lenk, but they also brought out Elizabeth Gillies and Grant Show for a People's Choice Awards segment and their names showed up as text screen when they were out, but Busy introduced her husband (Marc Silverstein) by name and he gave them an award. Do we credit Marc as a guest star since she says his name in an official capacity, or if he uncredited since his name didn't show up on screen? The end credits for the show only have crew.

Since each show handles it differently and seems to do it differently even within each show, I'd almost say we should only credit the nightly guests announced prior (guests, special ongoing segments like Carpool Karaoke) as guest stars, anybody who has an additional appearance, whether pre-taped segment or surprise walk on even if they have on screen text, should be uncredited... but since on screen would trump press releases, we can't do that lol

Try 30 days of free premium.