Try 30 days of free premium.

[testing] New text editor

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

Indeed, this is what I ment with "URL's pasted into the editor are not automatically turned into a link".

If you're copying something that is already a hyperlink at the source, it'll remain a link in the editor. Though if you're copying a piece of plaintext that just so happens to be a URL, it won't be turned into an actual link in the editor.

gazza911 wrote:
If you type **text** if will display as text and then anything you type after that is formatted normally (as you've ended the bold markdown)

If you type ***text*** / _**text**_ then it will display as text, however whatever you type afterwards will still be in bold

Similarly __*text*__ = text but whatever you type afterwards will still be in italics

P.S This only happens on typing, not pasting (however if you type a second underscore or asterisk in a line it will apply the formatting)

This is so advanced that you're probably better off submitting it to Ckeditor directly :-P

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

david wrote:
Indeed, this is what I ment with "URL's pasted into the editor are not automatically turned into a link".

If you're copying something that is already a hyperlink at the source, it'll remain a link in the editor. Though if you're copying a piece of plaintext that just so happens to be a URL, it won't be turned into an actual link in the editor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point any URL was converting into link, yes? And then something changed and it stopped working for a plain text?

gazza911 wrote:
That's just how the browser works when you copy link address; you're copying just the address (which is just a string), not the link itself. In order for it to do that, you would have to on paste determine if it matches a regular expression of a link.

Anything which is copied as a link will get marked as one; if I copy chrome://settings from the address bar, it will be put as a link.

Thanks for the explanation :)

tnt wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point any URL was converting into link, yes? And then something changed and it stopped working for a plain text?

The previous editor was always ment to convert any URL to an actual link, yeah. But I think at some point this stopped working for some people because of changes in browser's behavior.

david wrote:
The previous editor was always ment to convert any URL to an actual link, yeah. But I think at some point this stopped working for some people because of changes in browser's behavior.

Yeah, I thought something like that. Do you think it could be done again with this editor at some point? I mean auto conversion text->link. It was very useful.

@gazza maybe this could be done via some Tampermonkey script?

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Yeah, I thought something like that. Do you think it could be done again with this editor at some point? I mean auto conversion text->link. It was very useful.

@gazza maybe this could be done via some Tampermonkey script?

There's probably plugins for ckeditor that will do it for you, although each will have it's own definition (regular expressions) of what a link is

Thanks, guys :) "Eventually" sounds fine for now :)

I just switched over the majority of the site's editors to the new CKEditor.

The only exceptions still left on the old (two iterations ago) editor are Articles and Recaps, since embedded images don't work very well in CKEditor yet. We'll continue to work on that and hope to switch these over soon as well.

Try 30 days of free premium.