Try 30 days of free premium.

Add Support for TV Movies

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 3

It seems to be an issue that pops up from time to time and has some degree of support so, I'd like to suggest TV Maze add support for TV movies to the Pending Features forum  to gauge the relative level of support.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 2

TVmaze system simply can't properly support movies in it's current state. Movies doesn't follow a main/guest cast system, they don't have seasons and episodes. So I suppose it implies some fundamental changes.

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
TVmaze system simply can't properly support movies in it's current state. Movies doesn't follow a main/guest cast system, they don't have seasons and episodes. So I suppose it implies some fundamental changes

To be clear, yes. The suggestion is to take whatever steps are necessary to support TV movies whether that is a change of software to include both, running a parallel system to handle the movies that integrates with the main system or whatever.

Raven_Sirius wrote 4 years ago: 1

Can this not be handled easily under the 'Specials' category when adding an episode. I've seen man many shows on TvMaze which have specials, which come at the bottom of the regular episode listing, and if necessary a category could be added to the drop down selection when adding an episode. Couldn't it?

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

Raven_Sirius wrote:
Can this not be handled easily under the 'Specials' category when adding an episode. I've seen man many shows on TvMaze which have specials, which come at the bottom of the regular episode listing, and if necessary a category could be added to the drop down selection when adding an episode. Couldn't it?

I think this should be possible, we have to talk to david and jan about this :)

dpratt wrote 4 years ago: 1

TVmaze already supports TV movies. There has to be at least two, but support is still there nonetheless. Changing the policy to allow TV movies would be as simple as allowing once off movies to appear as well.

dpratt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Raven_Sirius wrote:

Maybe the policy should say that all TV Movies should be listed as specials. Because in effect that's what they are.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

dpratt wrote:
Maybe the policy should say that all TV Movies should be listed as specials. Because in effect that's what they are.

When they are for an existing show, sure, otherwise I don't think they're all that special. TV movies aren't out of the ordinary as a whole and the only thing different between TV movies without a 'parent' show and theatrical movies is that they air on TV instead of a movie theater. I think how we have it now is fine, if it airs on TV but is connected to a show (like Psych, or when a Disney Channel Original Movie is used as a finale for the show it's from) then we add those as a specials for it because then there's something "special" to it, but not just adding a movie that just happens to be on TV. 

I think a better use of time is providing a way to add airdates for specials that air on a different network as long as it's part of the same studio family, like Psych airing on USA, but the 2nd movie being on the Universal streaming service (since now everybody thinks they deserve their own), and being able to change it to the correct network/service without it changing the show's network as a whole, or making it so we can mark specials as serialized/clip show/behind the scenes so they're included with the next/previous episode stuff when needed.

Try 30 days of free premium.