Try 30 days of free premium.

The Daily Show

Myshows wrote 6 years ago: 1

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" starts on 1996, although Stewart began hosting The Daily Show in 1999. The cast also lists Craig Kilborn, who was a host before Stewart.

This show also listed as ended. And It 's not. So it seems all about hosts.

So I propose to limit "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" to 1999 and make a separate page for The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn (from 1996 to 1998) and delete Kilborn from a cast of 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart".

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

Myshows wrote:
"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" starts on 1996, although Stewart began hosting The Daily Show in 1999. The cast also lists Craig Kilborn, who was a host before Stewart.

This show also listed as ended. And It 's not. So it seems all about hosts.

So I propose to limit "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" to 1999 and make a separate page for The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn (from 1996 to 1998) and delete Kilborn from a cast of 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart".

I reread our policy, we follow the network first in this case, which means that the Trevor Noah part needs to be part of the Kilborn/Stewart part.

But I recall several talks about this, would be cool if other people can step into the discussion as well :)

JuanArango wrote:
I reread our policy, we follow the network first in this case, which means that the Trevor Noah part needs to be part of the Kilborn/Stewart part.

But I recall several talks about this, would be cool if other people can step into the discussion as well :)

If we do the whole Daily Show as one page with all hosts - it would be extremely inconvenient to follow it.

For example, people who started watching The Daily Show only beginning with Trevor Noah will need to skip about 3 thousand episodes, in order to catch up with the latest ones.

After all, a lot of people watch not a show per se, but just a segment of it based on the cast.

Myshows wrote:
If we do the whole Daily Show as one page with all hosts - it would be extremely inconvenient to follow it.

For example, people who started watching The Daily Show only beginning with Trevor Noah will need to skip about 3 thousand episodes, in order to catch up with the latest ones.

After all, a lot of people watch not a show per se, but just a segment of it based on the cast.

yes I know, that is why we need to discuss this first and look back why we made that decision in the past :)

So by this policy should The Late Show with Stephen Colbert be a part of The Late Show with David Letterman, since one host succeeded another?

Or The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn (and before him as well), The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and The Late Late Show with James Corden should be one page since it's one franchise of a particular network?

Because it's either one way or another. And either the rest of the shows should be merged together, or this two separated. :)

it is also important if the network makes anew showpage for it and if the network sees it as a new show .

Jan wrote 6 years ago: 1

We discussed this a couple of weeks ago. It depends indeed on how the network orders the show numbering. Does it reset the season count or not?

LadyShelley wrote 6 years ago: 1

Did some looking around. The on-screen title cards all say "The Daily Show with XXX" which would imply to me at least the show has different names and should be separate. On the other hand, they don't seem to reset the numbering when they change hosts, which would imply TPTB seem to think it all the same show. Looking at the web site, you have to dig around, but they do not reset the season count from host to host. There will need to be an edit wiki entry I think.

The network could not make a new page due to various reasons, starting with an intent to sustain numerous media links and references and ending with a hesitation to make any changes in an internal structure. So it could be the same show de jure, but de facto it's not.

Myshows wrote:
The network could not make a new page due to various reasons, starting with an intent to sustain numerous media links and references and ending with a hesitation to make any changes in an internal structure. So it could be the same show de jure, but de facto it's not.

Do you have a press statement for this, this would help us solve the situation.

JuanArango wrote:
Do you have a press statement for this, this would help us solve the situation.

No, I don't have a press statement, only a common sense :)

Myshows wrote:
No, I don't have a press statement, only a common sense :)

Problem is that common sense is very different to each person, this is why we have rules how to handle things :)

JuanArango wrote:
Problem is that common sense is very different to each person, this is why we have rules how to handle things :)

If it's very different to each person, it's not common then, by the definition, just saying :)

Myshows wrote:
If it's very different to each person, it's not common then, by the definition, just saying :)

haha, that is correct :)

JuanArango wrote:
I would agree with that!

Is there a way you or someone else up the food chain could merge them easily? There would certainly need to be an edit wiki explaining it as well since I'm sure someone will want to re-add separate listings for each host.

We also may need to take a closer look at some of the other talk shows to make sure we don't have a similar problem with some of them. Some of the older shows (like the Tonight Show) could be a problem though as they pre-date the internet

But I would think it's a place for a convenient way to follow shows and not for a pedantry for the pedantry's sake.

Myshows wrote:
But I would think it's a place for a convenient way to follow shows and not for a pedantry for the pedantry's sake.

Not sure it's really being pedantic, though. The network considers it one show (Trevor Noah's tenure starts with season 21, not season 1). The merged show title, "The Daily Show" could certainly have AKAs such as "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart " and "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" so it would still come up correctly in searches and in the API.

LadyShelley wrote:
Not sure it's really being pedantic, though. The network considers it one show (Trevor Noah's tenure starts with season 21, not season 1). The merged show title, "The Daily Show" could certainly have AKAs such as "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart " and "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" so it would still come up correctly in searches and in the API.

Yeah, but it would be a nightmare with an amount of episodes.

Try 30 days of free premium.