Try 30 days of free premium.

Body Credit

Gadfly wrote 6 years ago: 1

Not a critical issue, just something for future consideration.

It doesn't come up as often as a voice credit, but sometimes you have a live-action character where the voice is dubbed and someone else (sometimes uncredited) does the body.

Examples include:

The Flash: Savitar was voiced by Tobin Bell, "bodied" by Andre Tricoteux.

The Flash, Grodd voiced by David Sobolov, bodied by Simon Burnett.

The Authority, in the Outer Limits episode "A Feasibility Study". Voiced by Ben Wright, bodied by Robert H. Justman.

The episode page crediting says "voiced by" but there's no "bodied by" (??) for the second actor who plays the character. It looks weird. There's no place where you can really explain what the second entry is for--it's not Character Information--and you can't list the two "characters" separately by creating a second one saying "Grodd (Body)" or something else,. Well, you could, but it seems counter-productive to have two differently-named character entries for the same character.

Thoughts?

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

How are they credited on-screen?

IMO "body" actor does the actual (physical) acting part, so he should be credited simply as an actor, playing the given character. It's kind of self-explaining: one actor is portraying the character, the other actor is voicing him.

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:

IMO "body" actor does the actual (physical) acting part, so he should be credited simply as an actor, playing the given character.

+1

tnt wrote:

IMO "body" actor does the actual (physical) acting part, so he should be credited simply as an actor, playing the given character. It's kind of self-explaining: one actor is portraying the character, the other actor is voicing him.

As I mentioned, they're typically uncredited.

Part of the issue is that there's (typically) a photo of the character, but since they're being dubbed the photo looks like... well, no particular person. It simply says (for example) Simon Burnett = Grodd. Unless you think that Burnett looks like a 800-pound CGI mountain gorilla. :) And the character image is the same for Burnett as for the voice artist (David Sobolov) since it's the same character.

There's no way to clarify that Simon Burnett played the bodymotion artist or physical stand-in or whatever for Grodd. It doesn't say "body of" or anything on the page. Or that Robert H. Justman played the body of the Authority.

http://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/177235/the-outer-limits-1x29-a-feasibility-study/cast

There are two "Authority of Luminoid" on the page, and no explanation for why.

Basically, there are two "aspects" to the characters mentioned and others. But TVMaze only identifies one aspect, with the "voices" credit.

It's self-explaining if you see the episode(s). But isn't part of the point of TVMaze to provide clarification to people who haven't seen the episode? Someone who is interested in Justman and looking at his credits page might think he voiced the character. A Justman fan (I'm sure there are some :) ) would look at the episode page and wonder why he played a metal-headed glob of postules.

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

Tricoteux actually credited in The Flash. And most of the time he is just acting in Savitar's armour. So it's easy, Andre Tricoteux is guest starring as Savitar, credited; voiced over by Tobin Bell, uncredited.

With Burnett it's totally different. You couldn't say, that he actually played Grodd. While he provided some motion data, there's a lot of digital animation involved, mimicking a real gorilla movement. So technically it is not correct to say, that Simon Burnett = Grodd. I'm not even sure, that he was involved in every Grodd's appearance, and there's no way to be sure (unless you was a part of the VFX team), where, when and how exactly Burnett's motion capture data was used.

That leaves Wright/Justman on Outer Limits. And a few hundred others. :) For instance. some of the guys in the Trek monster/alien suits weren't the same guys doing the voices. Do we treat them differently because they're pre-bodymotion capture?

But yes, the Tricoteux/Bell thing is the opposite of the Sobolov/Burnett thing. I suppose that would make it completely different, as it's the opposite situation. One is Body/Voice-Uncredited, the other is Voice/Body-Uncredited. And a lot of Tricoteux's performance was CGI, too. And eventually Grant Gustin played Time Fragment Barry Allen as Savitar, and Tricoteux didn't, but that's another issue. :)

As I also noted, Burnett did the bodymotion artist or physical stand-in. Is a physical stand-in a "Guest Cast" (Uncredited or otherwise)? I don't know. That's what my post was trying to address: how does TVMaze acknowledge the existence of such people? Should it? "Bodies" as compared to the existing "Voices" seems the simplest way to do it while still acknowledging there are differences in the two "versions" of the character; the body and the voice.

Try 30 days of free premium.