Try 30 days of free premium.

Anne with an E, netflix airdate or CBC

Tonks wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'm not entirely sure if you paid attention but CBC announced Anne with an E (they officially changed the title with season 2) for september. However, Netflix has announced that season 2 will drop july 6. CBC announced launch September 23 and one episode per week.

It is definitely a CBC show but without the financing back up of netflix, the show would not have had a second season, at least, that's what they say. So right now, Anne on here is CBC attached, but Season 2 will drop on july 6 everywhere in the world on netflix except for Canada. I'm not entirely sure what should be done, i'm not even sure how (on our site) we're going to do it.

This would probably not be an issue if world premiere date was in place, but since it's not and it's been in the pipelines since this site has been launched, there is no reason to talk about it again. However deciding which date should show might be problematic. do you change the network, it becomes netflix and then the dates for season 1 are wrong or you keep with CBC and it won't show on the calendars for netflix (US). Or is there a third option that i am unaware of (totally possible).

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'd say make the switch and list season 2 as a Netflix show dropping July 6th. If season 1 aired on CBC first, then keep it as CBC with CBC dates ... which appears to be the case. my 2 cents

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Guys, I'd recommend both of you to read the policy, in particular the "Airdate owner" chapter, it have all the answers you need :D

If the Netflix is indeed a co-owner of the series (some proof would be nice besides hearsay), then the show should be re-assigned to Netflix, and the 2nd season should use Netflix' airdates. However, if Netflix is still only just a buyer of CBC/Northwood produced series, the show should stay with CBC, using the network's airdates for the season 2.

Simple as that :)

momijigari wrote 5 years ago: 1

The FAQ states:

Airdate owner

A show's owner is the entity that commissioned the show. Usually, this is the same entity that airs the show's world premieres: a show commissioned by NBC will premiere on NBC. But occasionally, episodes have their world premiere on an outlet that's completely unrelated to the show's owner.

If a show has a single unambiguous owner throughout its lifetime, the episode airdates should be set to the premiere dates on the owner's TV Network or Web Channel as described above.

Netflix is the international distributor, so it seems the airdates should be from CBC.

It seems, to me at least, CBC & Netflix are equal partners (or close enough for government work) and it comes down who gets it on the air first. CBC clearly won season 1 with all episodes having finished airing 2 weeks before they appeared on Netflix. Netflix wins season 2 with a July start everywhere but Canada. YMMV

I'm recycling this topic.

Unreal season 4 is going to be dropped on Stan (Australia) in a couple of weeks. We know lifetime is not going to air it and we don't know when Hulu will.

So is it the same situation or we wait for Hulu who has acquired the rights in the US ?

Tonks wrote:
I'm recycling this topic.

Unreal season 4 is going to be aired on Stan in a couple of weeks. We know lifetime is not going to air it and we don't know when Hulu will.

So is it the same situation or we wait for Hulu who has acquired the rights in the US ?

It's not the same. Stan have no part in producing the series, they merely acquired rights to stream it in Australia.

GeorgeFergus wrote 5 years ago: 1

A similar situation is occurring for the series ReBoot: The Guardian Code http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/35042/reboot-the-guardian-code . It appears to have been commissioned by Canada's YTV channel, which has aired 20 episodes so far from June 4 to July 5. However, Netflix bought the first 10 episodes and put them up two months earlier, on March 30. Netflix has not announced any date for when they will stream the remainder of the episodes, so we have them listed here without any dates at all. Should the show's owner be changed from Netflix to YTV and the YTV airdates used?

GeorgeFergus wrote:
A similar situation is occurring for the series ReBoot: The Guardian Code http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/35042/reboot-the-guardian-code . It appears to have been commissioned by Canada's YTV channel, which has aired 20 episodes so far from June 4 to July 5. However, Netflix bought the first 10 episodes and put them up two months earlier, on March 30. Netflix has not announced any date for when they will stream the remainder of the episodes, so we have them listed here without any dates at all. Should the show's owner be changed from Netflix to YTV and the YTV airdates used?

I'll leave it to TPTB to give the final decision but, from how you describe it I'd say yes. As you describe it, YTV is the original owner/commissioner and Netflix just bought secondary rights ... they just got it on air before YTV.

In an ideal system, both would be used, IMHO. Personally, I'm less concerned who owned and when they aired it as I am when did it first air/become available. When multi-air dates are implemented here, that should, hopefully, take care of the problem.

SilverSurfer wrote:
I'll leave it to TPTB to give the final decision but, from how you describe it I'd say yes. As you describe it, YTV is the original owner/commissioner and Netflix just bought secondary rights ... they just got it on air before YTV.

It doesn't seem this way. The series is being called "A Netflix Original Series" everywhere, including the show's official website. So they're equal partners, no less, with Netflix having global rights, and YTV covering Canada only. Also it is unclear, how the Netflix will treat the rest of the episodes, as a continuation of season 1 or as season 2.

Since both sources have an equal amount of premieres, the following rule should be applied: In cases where premieres within a season are almost evenly split over different sources ... a ruling must be made specifically for that show.

So it's up to TPTB to decide, which source this show should be associated with.

The series is being called "A Netflix Original Series" everywhere

Netflix does it for any show that it distributes outside of the main country. Dynasty is distributed as an original netflix series everywhere in the world for example, black lightning too. Penny dreadful was "a netflix original series" when it was offered in France. I'm betting Arrow is as well in France since netflix got the rights starting season 6 (but before it was airing on canal+ and tf1). Star trek discovery is also distributed as an original netflix series.

That little bit is netflix being netflix and taking it a little bit further than the other networks did in the past. This is not a good way of judging if a show is actually a coproduction or not.

Tonks wrote:
Netflix does it for any show that it distributes outside of the main country. Dynasty is distributed as an original netflix series everywhere in the world for example, black lightning too. Penny dreadful was "a netflix original series" when it was offered in France. I'm betting Arrow is as well in France since netflix got the rights starting season 6 (but before it was airing on canal+ and tf1). Star trek discovery is also distributed as an original netflix series.

That little bit is netflix being netflix and taking it a little bit further than the other networks did in the past. This is not a good way of judging if a show is actually a coproduction or not.

Without having access to some inside financial information there's simply no other way to judge. On the other hand any other publicly available source considering the show as equally YTV/Netflix series, including the original Nelvana/Rainmaker press release.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Without having access to some inside financial information there's simply no other way to judge. On the other hand any other publicly available source considering the show as equally YTV/Netflix series, including the original Nelvana/Rainmaker press release.

The same press release is also available via the company that owns YTV - Corus Entertainment - press release

They do not however list them in the production press release so it makes me believe that they didn't co-produce it but merely bought the rights to it

Reading the press releases, and seeing that Corus owns both YTV & Nelvana ... and with Nelvana "handling worldwide distribution, licensing, and merchandising for the series", IMHO, Netflix just happened to win the bidding war to air the series outside Canada ... it could just as easily have been won by individual networks around the world with Netflix picking up the scraps if they wished. Now, like tnt said, without knowing deeper details it's hard to say for sure what is what ... perhaps Netflix won the worldwide rights by stepping up and paying part of the production directly rather than through a time limited license agreement thus elevating then higher than a mere buyer.

Being on the outside looking in is like trying to peer through Vaseline coated windows. Perhaps this is why the goddess invented coins ... this opinion and a toonie gets you a double/double at Timmies. ymmv.

Looks like it's a new tendency for the Canadian shows – to have a worldwide premiere prior to Canadian one. With all this smoke and mirrors covering the details of ownership and involvement of the parties in the production process, one could only speculate, how's the dices a really rolling.

Maybe it's time to make a general decision for all such cases when the information is ambiguous, who should be considered an airdate owner – a Canadian network or the first premiering source.

Unreal is available on Hulu as of today, before it drops on amazon video UK or stan.

Try 30 days of free premium.