Try 30 days of free premium.

Very Minor Possible Change: "Themself"

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 2

When you select someone as playing themselves, it says Him/Herself.

This is a very awkward wording when it actually shows up on the cast pages. Seeing a man or woman listed as "Him/Herself" seems kind of awkward.

I'd suggest the gender/neutral "Themselves" instead. "Themself" is also used in very informal language, but it's generally frowned upon in grammar guides. Such as here.

Seeing, for example, Bob Smith listed as Him/Herself looks... kinda strange. :)

Ly wrote 8 years ago: 1

It only displays as "Him/Herself" if someone didn't set the gender of the actor but when that happens it does look very awkward. A gender-neutral option is good to have either way and "themself" seems the most appropriate.

There are also sometimes groups that are officially credited such as a band's appearance, should we be crediting each band member separately? I'd personally like to be able to have it show up as "Themselves" to indicate it's a group of some sort since official credits are lumping them together.

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

Testing it, that is true. I think. Although a) it's not obvious that's what you need to do it, and b) a lot of people won't fix it.

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Ly is right, as soon as a gender is set to the person it'll properly show "himself" or "herself".

But, you're right, themselves sounds better. Updated!

I also slightly tweaked the appearance of self cast entries. From now, self cast entries where the Person name equals the Character name will be displayed simply as "Chris Matthews as Himself". This would be common for a talkshow guest, like here: http://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/204162/real-time-wi...

But for self cast entries with an actual name for the character, the character name will be displayed as well. For example at http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/419/snooki-jwoww: "Jenni Farley as Herself (JWoww)".

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

Thanks!

gmpugs wrote 8 years ago: 1

What about musical groups? Wouldn't it be smart to add the "themself" option for when they appear on talk shows?

Try 30 days of free premium.