Try 30 days of free premium.

Veronica Mars Movie Reopen Discussion?

sammy_hunt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Now that Veronica Mars season 4 is dropping, is it time to revisit the idea of the movie being kept as a special? Like the original thread said, it was released online as well as in theaters (the same day, actually). So it's not like it's an exclusively theatrical release. And now that season 4 is dropping and it is vital to the canon of the show to watch the movie before you watch season 4, I think it's worth making the argument that it should be listed as a special, because that's really what it is.

Cecile wrote 4 years ago: 1

Agreed. It's canon to the story (as the books)

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

Personally, I don't think it should be listed. Yes, it's canon, but so are theatrical films. This didn't premiere on a TV network or streaming service. From what I remember it was sent out to pledgers on Kickstarter early and then it was sold on digital outlets the same day as it opened theatrically, so that's no different than not listing a straight-to-video DVD release which we aren't supposed to do either, right?

https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/15/episodes

The inclusion policy for Shows applies to specials as well. This means only content that has premiered on a Network or Web Channel may be added; theatrical movies related to a show may not be added.

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

kevin87 wrote:
Personally, I don't think it should be listed. Yes, it's canon, but so are theatrical films. This didn't premiere on a TV network or streaming service. From what I remember it was sent out to pledgers on Kickstarter early and then it was sold on digital outlets the same day as it opened theatrically, so that's no different than not listing a straight-to-video DVD release which we aren't supposed to do either, right?

https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/15/episodes

I am afraid kevin is correct here :)

Well I was partially using as my guide Stargate SG-1, which has the movies listed on it (https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/204/stargate-sg-1/episodes). Now they were direct-to-DVD as well, and they are listed in the specials on the TV show. I read the episode guide before I posted this and it says nothing about direct-to-DVD movies. The only movies it specifies are theatrical release movies, which Veronica Mars was not really. I guess if the SG-1 movies listing is wrong too then that negates my argument, but in my mind I was viewing "available online same day" (Veronica Mars) and straight-to-DVD (Stargate SG-1) as essentially the same thing.

sammy_hunt wrote:
Well I was partially using as my guide Stargate SG-1, which has the movies listed on it (https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/204/stargate-sg-1/episodes). Now they were direct-to-DVD as well, and they are listed in the specials on the TV show. I read the episode guide before I posted this and it says nothing about direct-to-DVD movies. The only movies it specifies are theatrical release movies, which Veronica Mars was not really. I guess if the SG-1 movies listing is wrong too then that negates my argument, but in my mind I was viewing "available online same day" (Veronica Mars) and straight-to-DVD (Stargate SG-1) as essentially the same thing.

Since the policy says "this means only content that has premiered on a Network or Web Channel may be added" then to me that would also exclude DTV releases as well as theatrical. Maybe somebody should throw in direct-to-video DVD and digital releases into the policy wording as well.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

kevin87 wrote:
Maybe somebody should throw in direct-to-video DVD and digital releases into the policy wording as well.

I'm afraid that's not gonna happen, since it contradicts the topmost inclusion policy: Our definition of a TV show is something that premiered on television...
That's the reason we don't allow OVA anime series, so DTV movies are falling into the same category.

Yeah, that's the part that confused me. Veronica Mars was both a theatrical release and premiered on a Web Channel. So it's a yes and a no at the same time. So yeah, I think the wording should be updated to help in scenarios like this.

Also, does anyone know why the policy is that way? That theatrical releases don't count as specials even when they're directly canon to the show? Cause that seems weird to me.

tnt wrote:
I'm afraid that's not gonna happen, since it contradicts the topmost inclusion policy: Our definition of a TV show is something that premiered on television...
That's the reason we don't allow OVA anime series, so DTV movies have to fall into the same category.

Okay, well I guess that answers my question. But I watched the Veronica Mars movie the day it aired and we didn't go to the theater. We watched it online at home in front of the TV, which in my book is the definition of television. But I guess it is an on the line call, so I'll understand if it still falls on the no side.

tnt wrote:
That's the reason we don't allow OVA anime series, so DTV movies are falling into the same category.

I don't see how adding DTV to the wording contradicts the policy because DTV means it premieres on video, as you compare it to an OVA, and doesn't premiere on TV/streaming services.

sammy_hunt wrote:
Yeah, that's the part that confused me. Veronica Mars was both a theatrical release and premiered on a Web Channel. So it's a yes and a no at the same time. So yeah, I think the wording should be updated to help in scenarios like this.

Also, does anyone know why the policy is that way? That theatrical releases don't count as specials even when they're directly canon to the show? Cause that seems weird to me.

The thing though is it didn't premiere on a web channel, it was sold online. If it had premiered an actual streaming service then that'd count, but not being available to purchase on iTunes, Amazon, etc etc. I suspect they're not allowed because it's TV Maze not Film Maze. :p

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

The problem is that we are a TV site and we have to draw the line somewhere :)

Yeah I get it. I don't like it but I get it. But yeah, I agree that Direct to Video should be specified in the episode policy as whether it counts as a special or not. Because the specification of "theatrical release" is confusing if it also includes DTV.

kevin87 wrote:
I don't see how adding DTV to the wording contradicts the policy because DTV means it premieres on video, as you compare it to an OVA, and doesn't premiere on TV/streaming services.

^That's the contradiction, if you meant to allow DTV. Or did you mean rewording it like "theatrical and direct-to-video movies related to a show may not be added."?

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir? XD

tnt wrote:
^That's the contradiction, if you meant to allow DTV. Or did you mean rewording it like "theatrical and direct-to-video movies related to a show may not be added."?

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir? XD

Yeah I meant since non-televised movies aren't allowed, some additional wording should be added to the policy to cover DTV in the exclusion as well. Just saying "theatrical" can give the impression that movies that don't fall into that category are allowed.

kevin87 wrote:
Yeah I meant since non-televised movies aren't allowed, some additional wording should be added to the policy to cover DTV in the exclusion as well. Just saying "theatrical" can give the impression that movies that don't fall into that category are allowed.

This I agree with :)

Try 30 days of free premium.