Try 30 days of free premium.

Air Crash Investigation: season numbering

155fcea2 wrote 3 years ago: 1

Hello, it looks like the season numbering of Air Crash Investigation on TV maze is off by one with respect to Wikipedia, IMDB, TheTVDB, etc.

The reason is that episodes Special Report: System Breakdown and Special Report: Cruel Skies are considered independent specials here while they are considered to be Season 8 elsewhere. So Season 8 on TV maze is Season 9 elsewhere, Season 9 here is Season 10 elsewhere etc.

I am willing to fix this, I just wanted to know if anyone has any problem with that.

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

@155fcea2 wrote:
Hello, it looks like the season numbering of Air Crash Investigation on TV maze is off by one with respect to Wikipedia, IMDB, TheTVDB, etc.

None of the above is considered a valid source per TVmaze policy

The reason is that episodes Special Report: System Breakdown and Special Report: Cruel Skies are considered independent specials here while they are considered to be Season 8 elsewhere. So Season 8 on TV maze is Season 9 elsewhere, Season 9 here is Season 10 elsewhere etc.

By any means, they can't be a part of season 8, because they aired between seasons 6 and 7.

They rather should be a separate show, at least this is how NatGeo sees the "Special Report", i.e. https://www.natgeotv.com/asia/air-crash-special-report/about or https://www.natgeotv.com/za/shows/natgeo/air-crash-investigation-special-report. But they definitely do not belong to ACI as regular episodes.

I am willing to fix this, I just wanted to know if anyone has any problem with that.

There's nothing to fix, but thanks for asking.

155fcea2 wrote 3 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
None of the above is considered a valid source per TVmaze policy

Thanks for pointing that out. Then I will add that Discovery Canada (Canada being the country in which the show is produced) also seems to number seasons the way I mentioned. 

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

@155fcea2 wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out. Then I will add that Discovery Canada (Canada being the country in which the show is produced) also seems to number seasons the way I mentioned. 

And? If we look at the Smithsonian Channel's listing, the latest season should have a number 15. So why we should prefer Discovery's listing over anything else?

The country of origin is not essential. The show is produced by an independent company and being sold to Nat Geo for worldwide broadcast, and also to Discovery Canada and Smithsonian Channel (US). And it appears that most episodes are aired first by Nat Geo. For more info on that topic check the "Airdate owner" chapter of the policy I've mentioned earlier.

When this feature is implemented, it will allow creating an alternative list of episodes for a particular country/network.

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 1

There is no proper way to list this series. All episodes premiere differently worldwide. Episode 1 may have premiered on Natgeo UK, while Episode 2 may have done so in the Netherlands and so on.... It used to be Discovery Channel if the first few seasons, but we changed it to the Australian/English format a few years ago as they are the one with the most consistent schedule and premiere most episodes first.......

It's impossible with this show to determine a consistent listing, but the US market is definitely not up to date with this series compared to other regions.

TonyMayhew wrote 3 years ago: 2

Bringing up this headache of a series, once again :)

Currently, the series is listed as National Geographic Channel Australia.

Series 20, episode 1 airs tonight at 9pm on the UK Nat Geo with "Grounded: Boeing Max 8". thetvdb have the new series there starting yesterday with the episode "North Sea Nightmare" (The UK episode 1 is listed as episode 4 there).

Knowing how inconsistent thetvdb is with using the correct networks, I have no idea which one they are using for their listings, lol.

Anyone wanna try figuring it out is more than welcome! :)

Try 30 days of free premium.