Try 30 days of free premium.

Kung Fu question

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

I see that new Kung Fu series ( https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/32355/kung-fu ) show to be related to old Kung Fu series ( https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/3294/kung-fu ).

Can someone tell me what is the connection beside the exact same name of the show?

I haven't watched original Kung Fu with David Carradine, but I have watched the direct sequel in the 1990s, "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues", and I have watched the new "Kung Fu" series and I am not sure what is the direct connection that original one is marked as parent show. Are the new series really a Reboot of the original?

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
I see that new Kung Fu series ( https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/32355/kung-fu ) show to be related to old Kung Fu series ( https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/3294/kung-fu ).

Can someone tell me what is the connection beside the exact same name of the show?

I haven't watched original Kung Fu with David Carradine, but I have watched the direct sequel in the 1990s, "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues", and I have watched the new "Kung Fu" series and I am not sure what is the direct connection that original one is marked as parent show. Are the new series really a Reboot of the original?

the press release says the following:

KUNG FU is produced by Berlanti Productions and Quinn's House in association with Warner Bros. Television and is inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman.

Now we have to decide if "inspired" is enough to keep the relation.

MantvydasN wrote 2 years ago: 1

I only watched the "reboot". From what I gathered it's more of a reimagining than a reboot. 

But they still credited the original creator Ed Spielman, so I guess it counts as related? 

@MantvydasN wrote:
I only watched the "reboot". From what I gathered it's more of a reimagining than a reboot. 

But they still credited the original creator Ed Spielman, so I guess it counts as related? 

I would say so then, yes.

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

@JuanArango wrote:
Now we have to decide if "inspired" is enough to keep the relation.

I don't think word "inspired" by itself is enough for any relation. It just means that it influenced the show in some way. Perhaps the basic setting or overall premise or characters, etc.. If creator of Guardians of Galaxy said characters and some spaceships were inspired by Star Wars, I don't think we would simply make relation between the two. All things are inspired by something because creators have inspiration based on something more often than creating everything out of no references of any kind. So the relation needs to be based on something more direct, imho.

I mean, we have several different He-Man series and it is obvious that each next iteration is inspired by the original (and isn't something completely new with new characters), yet they have no relation. But perhaps here we care more about if the connection or same person is credited than if it actually has any similarity (this isn't sarcasm, I mean, maybe we really take this into consideration here :). I dunno, just my 20 cents on the topic. I wasn't sure if there's any connection, so thanks for the comments, guys.

@MAT13 wrote:

I don't think word "inspired" by itself is enough for any relation. It just means that it influenced the show in some way. Perhaps the basic setting or overall premise or characters, etc.. If creator of Guardians of Galaxy said characters and some spaceships were inspired by Star Wars, I don't think we would simply make relation between the two. All things are inspired by something because creators have inspiration based on something more often than creating everything out of no references of any kind. So the relation needs to be based on something more direct, imho.

I mean, we have several different He-Man series and it is obvious that each next iteration is inspired by the original (and isn't something completely new with new characters), yet they have no relation. But perhaps here we care more about if the connection or same person is credited than if it actually has any similarity. I dunno, just my 20 cents on the topic. I wasn't sure if there's any connection, so thanks for the comments, guys.

I am partially with you, we have to draw a line somewhere, so I will ask the other staff about opinions here :)

@gazza911 @tnt @RoseRed @TomSouthwell @MTQueenie @LadyShelley @Thomas 

RoseRed wrote 2 years ago: 1

It is in no way, shape or form like Carradine's Kung Fu, but I'm sure they had to reference the creator of the original because of the name which to me does not make a relationship between the shows.

deleted wrote 2 years ago: 1

I don't think a relation between those shows is a valid option. Most series are inspired on something, will we connect them all to each other for that reason?

gazza911 wrote 2 years ago: 1

It sounds like a reboot to me, but I'm not familiar with either series.

I watched both shows, it is definitely not the normal kind of reboot, it is completely newly imagined, no characters or actors or producers are the same.

LadyShelley wrote 2 years ago: 2

So the creators wanted to "remake" Kung Fu without the white guy, with a female lead, and with a mostly Asian cast.

A lot of the early hype was that it was a remake/reboot of the Carradine series, so I can understand why that franchise tag was added, that's how the network was selling it: another old show we're "reimaging" 

The same argument could be made for Walker and Walker: Texas Ranger. The two shows have very little in common other than the name and the preseason hype.

I guess this is my way of saying I can see either way being correct.  

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 1

Not followed either show, but also not a fan of linking shows that "inspire" each other as I feel its too broad a term and could easily be abused and lead to every show of a certain type getting linked to one another. 

I think we need to decide when a show is completely rebranded and newly imagined, if we call this a relation.

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 1

Yes and no, is the series of Spiderman from 2017 a remake of every Spiderman beforehand dating back from the 60s because each show inspires the next? 

LadyShelley wrote 2 years ago: 2

To me, the link should be "Reboot" as that's basically what it is. The production "rebooted" the series. I think the problem may be that the show has the wrong association. It looks like it was set up as a franchise not a reboot. 

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Yes and no, is the series of Spiderman from 2017 a remake of every Spiderman beforehand dating back from the 60s because each show inspires the next? 

spider-mans are based on the same comic book, not on each other

kung fu is based on the premise of the old show, with the same-ish main character, and its creator involved

I don't watch either of them so I don't really care if they are related or not, but I see no reason not to connect them

MTQueenie wrote 2 years ago: 2

I have not watched either shows so not really familiar with them but if they should be connected i say it should be as a reboot.

Try 30 days of free premium.