Try 30 days of free premium.

Connecting shows question

MAT13 wrote a year ago: 1

Is there a way for a show to have both direct and indirect connections?

I wanted to connect "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" to original Star Trek, but because SNW is connected to "Star Trek: Discovery" I cannot do that. But that doesn't show original Star Trek show on ST: SNW page, and it should show both since it's connected to both.

In the very first pilot of the original Star Trek, Commander Pike and Spock are two main characters. Literally the same characters as in SNW. I know Pike appeared in earlier ST: Discovery episodes and that there is a connection to those series, but why would that exclude the ability to connect the show to both shows? Why can't a show has more than one direct connections with different shows?

Is there a way to make Strange New Worlds show both Star Trek and ST: Discovery under it's relations?

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

The only way to make it appear on a different show is to remove the other connection. 

Since every show is set within the Star Trek universe and numerous characters and actors reappear in the various shows, linking everything to Star Trek makes the most logical sense. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
The only way to make it appear on a different show is to remove the other connection. 

Since every show is set within the Star Trek universe and numerous characters and actors reappear in the various shows, linking everything to Star Trek makes the most logical sense. 

I removed the connection as a Discovery franchise and attached it to the original Star Trek instead then. Not sure why there isn't many-to-many relation option. For bigger universes of series this is quite a common connection. Show A is the main one. Then B is sequel to A, but then C is subseries that spawned from B, then D is new series that are connected both to original A, and to C. So each show's page would show appropriate direct relations. Ah well, we work with what the tools allow us, it's even stranger to see same actor when multiple actors play the same role on some show over course of many seasons ;))

LadyShelley wrote a year ago: 1

No, sorry, that's not how relationships are supposed to work. Strange New Worlds is a direct spin-off of Discovery and should be marked as such. The relationships have been reset to their previous order, which allows for the indirect relationship of how the original series fits with the others to remain intact. 

@MAT13 wrote:
I removed the connection as a Discovery franchise and attached it to the original Star Trek instead then. Not sure why there isn't many-to-many relation option. For bigger universes of series this is quite a common connection. Show A is the main one. Then B is sequel to A, but then C is subseries that spawned from B, then D is new series that are connected both to original A, and to C. So each show's page would show appropriate direct relations. Ah well, we work with what the tools allow us, it's even stranger to see same actor when multiple actors play the same role on some show over course of many seasons ;))

We aren't trying to highlight that all these shows are set within the same universe or with the same characters though, because that would make some I. P. s relations completely unmanageable. For example Scooby Doo or the many different versions of Spider Man. The rules for show relations are very clear and in place in the Data Policies at the bottom of every page. 

Show relations must always be created on the oldest show. E.g. to relate "CSI" and "CSI: NY" together, go to CSI to create this relationship. This relationship will automatically be visible on CSI: NY's page as well.

Relations should not be set recursively. E.g., create a relation between both "CSI" and "CSI: NY", and "CSI" and "CSI: Miami"; but not between "CSI: NY" and "CSI: Miami" as well. Even without explicitly adding it, the latter relationship will be automatically listed on both show's pages under "indirect relations".

Each pair of shows can only have one type of relationship set. If multiple types of relationships as described below would apply, consider the highest listed types first.

After Show

A show discussing or explaining events that happened on the main show.

Examples:

"Talking dead" and "The Walking Dead"

"Beyond Stranger Things" and "Stranger Things"

Talk Show Franchise

Multiple incarnations of the same talk/news show with a different host.

Examples:

"Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon"

"Daily Show With Jon Stewart" vs "Daily Show With Trevor Noah"

Serial Specials

Side episodes to a main show that form a serial storyline of their own.

Examples:

"Fear the Walking Dead: Flight 462" and "Fear The Walking Dead"

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot " and "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Reboot

A show with mostly the same characters as a previous show, remade for a different era

Examples:

"DuckTales 1987" vs "DuckTales 2017"

"Battlestar Galactica 1978" vs "Battlestar Galactica 2005"

Foreign Remake

A version of a previous show with mostly the same concept or storyline and characters, set in a different country/language.

Examples:

"The Office UK" vs "The Office US"

"The Bridge" vs "Broen"

"Big Brother NL" vs "Big Brother US"

Franchise

A show that's closely related to an existing show; because they share a similar name and premise, (main) crew or cast members portraying the same character, cinematic universe, and/or a continous storyline. This relation only applies when the similarites are present for the majority of the show's run; an occasional "crossover episode" between two shows that otherwise share no similarities does not warrant creating a show relation.

Examples:

"Joey" and "Friends"

"Supergirl" and "The Flash" and "Arrow"

"CSI NY" vs "CSI"

Earlier I wasn't telling you to remove the link and add it elsewhere, I was responding to what you were asking and saying that would be the only way to get that result. 

@LadyShelley wrote:
No, sorry, that's not how relationships are supposed to work. Strange New Worlds is a direct spin-off of Discovery and should be marked as such. The relationships have been reset to their previous order, which allows for the indirect relationship of how the original series fits with the others to remain intact. 

Strange New Worlds may be a spin-off of Discovery, but that's all it is. It has much more in common with original Star Trek, like the crew. And if they bring James T. Kirk (which someone already added under main cast), then Discovery just triggered this shows's existence, but it's got nothing to do with Discovery any more seeing how they went in the future, and Strange New Worlds is happening in the "present" and I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly start to turn it into the beginning of the original Star Trek if they start adding more of the original crew, which will make this a direct prequel to the original series. That is much stronger connection/relation than "spin-off". Although this may also be an alternate version of telling the story seeing how we know how Captain Pike ended in the original pilot, and if they make a different ending for him (like in his visions of the future) then these two will stop being part of the same universe. This is why many-to-many connections are not a bad thing to have.

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
Strange New Worlds may be a spin-off of Discovery, but that's all it is. It has much more in common with original Star Trek, like the crew. And if they bring James T. Kirk (which someone already added under main cast), then Discovery just triggered this shows's existence, but it's got nothing to do with Discovery any more seeing how they went in the future, and Strange New Worlds is happening in the "present" and I wouldn't be surprised if they slowly start to turn it into the beginning of the original Star Trek if they start adding more of the original crew, which will make this a direct prequel to the original series. That is much stronger connection/relation than "spin-off". Although this may also be an alternate version of telling the story seeing how we know how Captain Pike ended in the original pilot, and if they make a different ending for him (like in his visions of the future) then these two will stop being part of the same universe. This is why many-to-many connections are not a bad thing to have.

Actually New Worlds is a direct spin off of Discovery, yes..Discovery went into the future but it was in the same timeline then New Worlds is now.

If they willa dd more and more of the original Star trek Crew so that it becomes a prequel to it, then we can of course discuss it further. :)

@JuanArango wrote:
Actually New Worlds is a direct spin off of Discovery, yes..Discovery went into the future but it was in the same timeline then New Worlds is now.

If they willa dd more and more of the original Star trek Crew so that it becomes a prequel to it, then we can of course discuss it further. :)

I read you. It's a pity we have to choose either or and cannot connect it to both shows. Cheers!

kevin87 wrote a year ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:

If Pike's fate changes, then it would end up not being connected to the original show anyway and we'd have to change the relation because it would be a different show with a different future history and not a direct prequel for TOS. To be fair, even if it becomes a direct prequel to TOS, Discovery would still need to be the connected since SNW spun off from the specific versions of those characters/actors being featured on that show, and comes chronologically even before TOS... so Discovery is as much of a prequel (before the time travel) as SNW is. 

James T. Kirk will come in season 2 btw. It was everywhere when they announced Paul Wesley was joining. 

@MAT13 wrote:
I read you. It's a pity we have to choose either or and cannot connect it to both shows. Cheers!

I explained why up there 👆

Try 30 days of free premium.