Try 30 days of free premium.

Confusion About What Shows Can and Can't Be Added

sammy_hunt wrote 8 years ago: 1

So, I have a question about what is and isn't considered a valid TV show that can be added here. I tried to add the show Borealis but was told that the website doesn't host shows that are rejected after a single episode. Here is the transcript:

Show request #2296

Requested by: sammy_hunt

Handled by: ThomasNL

Notes from the requester: This was a backdoor pilot that never got picked up. It aired originally on Space on January 11, 2013.

Notes from the handler: We won't add shows that were rejected/canceled after just a single episode, It's not worth adding.

NameBorealis

Network7

Web Channel(not set)

Official Site

Show Status2

Show Type1

Show Schedule(not set)

Language35

Default Airtime21:00

Default Runtime120

Description<p>Set 30 years in the future,

Borealis is an Arctic frontier town which may hold the last of the

world's oil resources. Vic, a former MMA fighter, runs a bar in town

where representatives from several different countries are all trying to

stake a claim in the area.</p>

Tvrage ID(not set)

Thetvdb ID265760

But I have been exploring the site and I have come up with numerous shows that fit that description, including one I had just added earlier today: http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1671/virtuality , http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/4371/mockingbird-lane , http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/365/the-after , and http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/6904/riverworld

So, was the handler being overly friendly with the reject button or were those other shows added when they shouldn't have been, or is there some significant difference between my rejected show and the others that I haven't noticed. This is a sincere question, I really don't understand the difference here.

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

sammy_hunt wrote:
So, I have a question about what is and isn't considered a valid TV show that can be added here. I tried to add the show Borealis but was told that the website doesn't host shows that are rejected after a single episode. Here is the transcript:
Show request #2296 Requested by: sammy_hunt
Handled by: ThomasNL
Notes from the requester: This was a backdoor pilot that never got picked up. It aired originally on Space on January 11, 2013.
Notes from the handler: We won't add shows that were rejected/canceled after just a single episode, It's not worth adding.
NameBorealis
Network7
Web Channel(not set)
Official Site
Show Status2
Show Type1
Show Schedule(not set)
Language35
Default Airtime21:00
Default Runtime120
Description<p>Set 30 years in the future,
Borealis is an Arctic frontier town which may hold the last of the
world's oil resources. Vic, a former MMA fighter, runs a bar in town
where representatives from several different countries are all trying to
stake a claim in the area.</p>
Tvrage ID(not set)
Thetvdb ID265760
But I have been exploring the site and I have come up with numerous shows that fit that description, including one I had just added earlier today: http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1671/virtuality , http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/4371/mockingbird-lane , http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/365/the-after , and http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/6904/riverworld
So, was the handler being overly friendly with the reject button or were those other shows added when they shouldn't have been, or is there some significant difference between my rejected show and the others that I haven't noticed. This is a sincere question, I really don't understand the difference here.

Hey there,

I will try to answer this as good as I can :)

We are not keeping shows that were in development but then the pilot got rejected before it was ever shown on tv or a web channel.

I looked at the four links you posted:

Riverworld: Was a legit two part mini series on SyFy
The After: It was shown on amazon, but they decided not to do more than this one episode.
Virtuality: One episode aired on FOX, we just do not have that one episode listed, I shall fill that in tomorrow.
Mockingbird Lane: Same as virtuality, one ep was aired, then the series stopped.

All those four examples are legit and should stay on our website.

The show that Thomas rejected (Borealis), was the pilot aired and was it supposed to be a pilot and not a one shot movie ?
If it was aired and supposed to be a pilot it should be added.

cheers
Juan

sammy_hunt wrote 8 years ago: 1

Yes, one episode was aired on January 11, 2013, and it was supposed to be a series, not a movie.

sammy_hunt wrote:
Yes, one episode was aired on January 11, 2013, and it was supposed to be a series, not a movie.

Could you request it again, I will add it then :)

cheers
Juan

MTQueenie wrote 8 years ago: 1

Wait now i'm confused. So we can add shows with only one aired episode now? cus under create show it specifically states NOT to add anything with less than 2 episodes?

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Let me clarify, while we wait for the complete policy documents to be finished.

If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but it was cancelled after the first episode has aired, it can be added.

If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but no episode ever aired, it can't be added.

FYI Juan, it's possible to approve requests after they were requested, it's not neccessary to request them again. Ping me about it and I'll show you :)

MichaelDeBoey wrote 8 years ago: 1

david wrote:
FYI Juan, it's possible to approve requests after they were requested, it's not neccessary to request them again. Ping me about it and I'll show you :)

That would be interesting to know

Or is it only a function for Head Contributors and not for Trusted Contributors

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

MichaelDeBoey wrote:
That would be interesting to know
Or is it only a function for Head Contributors and not for Trusted Contributors

It is a bit easier for head contributors to ping David about it, but you can add these requested shows too!

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

sammy_hunt wrote:

I guess I misinterpret them as well. My excuses!

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

david wrote:
If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but it was cancelled after the first episode has aired, it can be added.
If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but no episode ever aired, it can't be added.

What if it was cancelled before the first episode aired?

What you get with shows like Mockingbird Lane is something that was produced as a pilot to sell to the networks to convince them they should have the intention to air more than one episode. The network looked at it and said no, but then air it out of contractual obligation.

Three Inches and Rewind were other such shows. Heck, the infamous Justice League pilot from 1997 was one that didn't even get to air, at least in the U.S. But somebody somewhere intended it to be a series. It just wasn't anyone whose intentions mattered. :)

I think what you're saying above is that they should be included. But if so, I'd avoid the usage of the term "intention." If nothing else... whose intentions? Bryan Fuller intended Mockingbird Lane to air more than one episode, but NBC never did.

We'll discuss the details of the wording soon, when I have it all written up formally. :)

MTQueenie wrote 8 years ago: 1

david wrote:

Ahhh okay i see where you make the distinction now.

So one episode shows like specials where they never intended to air more than the one episode is still not allowed, but a show that aired a backdoor pilot that just didn't get a whole season pick up from the network is allowed. Just got a tad confused over why some one episode shows suddenly where allowed to add :)

MTQueenie wrote:
Ahhh okay i see where you make the distinction now.
So one episode shows like specials where they never intended to air more than the one episode is still not allowed, but a show that aired a backdoor pilot that just didn't get a whole season pick up from the network is allowed.

Exactly!

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

david wrote:

If 1 episode is aired but it cannot be confirmed that it originally aired as a pilot and it becomes a Made for TV Movie where does this fall? Especially if solid proof cannot be found anywhere on the Internet in writing that it was intended as a Pilot and not a Made for TV Movie only?

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

First there'd have to be official proof that it was a Made for TV Movie only.

Gadfly wrote:
First there'd have to be official proof that it was a Made for TV Movie only.

Yes, usually you can find something in the press release if it was intended as a pilot or juts a one shot tv movie :)

cheers
Juan

Try 30 days of free premium.