Try 30 days of free premium.

Super Bowl LVIII alternate broadcast

Magitroopa wrote 6 months ago: 1

So back in August, it was announced that the upcoming Super Bowl in February (LVIII/58) will have an alternate broadcast on Nickelodeon, making this the first Super Bowl with an alternate telecast.

With this being a first time occurrence, I figured I would ask if there's anything that can/should be done about this. Obviously we're not going to change the network on the Super Bowl show listing or the season itself, and we unfortunately cannot add two networks together for the same thing. Would it be at all appropriate to add it onto Nickelodeon's NFL series, NFL Slimetime? And if yes, should the other four (three previous, one upcoming) NFL on Nickelodeon games be added? - or should there maybe be a new 'series' created for NFL games on Nickelodeon for all of these?

JuanArango wrote 6 months ago: 1

@Magitroopa wrote:
So back in August, it was announced that the upcoming Super Bowl in February (LVIII/58) will have an alternate broadcast on Nickelodeon, making this the first Super Bowl with an alternate telecast.

With this being a first time occurrence, I figured I would ask if there's anything that can/should be done about this. Obviously we're not going to change the network on the Super Bowl show listing or the season itself, and we unfortunately cannot add two networks together for the same thing. Would it be at all appropriate to add it onto Nickelodeon's NFL series, NFL Slimetime? And if yes, should the other four (three previous, one upcoming) NFL on Nickelodeon games be added? - or should there maybe be a new 'series' created for NFL games on Nickelodeon for all of these?

I do not know much about American football, but adding it to NFL Slimetime sounds wrong to me. :)

@JuanArango wrote:
I do not know much about American football, but adding it to NFL Slimetime sounds wrong to me. :)

Would it be at all appropriate to create a show for it then? If it is, I think 'NFL on Nickelodeon' (just like the Wikipedia page is titled) would be the best title to use, even if it's not the exact title they've used for it throughout the years.

TomSouthwell wrote 6 months ago: 1

@Magitroopa wrote:
Would it be at all appropriate to create a show for it then? If it is, I think 'NFL on Nickelodeon' (just like the Wikipedia page is titled) would be the best title to use, even if it's not the exact title they've used for it throughout the years.

No we wouldn't add the same episode to two shows. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
No we wouldn't add the same episode to two shows. 

It is not exactly the 'same episode'- I believe it is the same game feed, but with everything else differing (graphics, commentators, etc.) It is not the same exact thing just being broadcast on a different network.

For example, the Christmas Day 2022 game, you can see footage from the Nickelodeon game here, versus footage from the CBS game here. It is the same game itself, but everything else is different, making it a completely different 'episode'.

@Magitroopa wrote:
It is not exactly the 'same episode'- I believe it is the same game feed, but with everything else differing (graphics, commentators, etc.) It is not the same exact thing just being broadcast on a different network.

For example, the Christmas Day 2022 game, you can see footage from the Nickelodeon game here, versus footage from the CBS game here. It is the same game itself, but everything else is different, making it a completely different 'episode'.

Then we wouldn't add the episode at all. It would fall under sports been broadcast on multiple networks, which we do not allow.

As another example, the 49ers vs. Cowboys game aired on January 16, 2022. You can even see the same footage that was aired on the Nickelodeon broadcast vs. the CBS broadcast (and it actually looks like it's not the same exact game feed- definitely different camera angles being used).

Nickelodeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnxfHQ5HGs - go to around 5:29 in the video itself

CBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrTX5Jbjyc - go to around 0:48 in the video itself

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Then we wouldn't add the episode at all. It would fall under sports been broadcast on multiple networks, which we do not allow.

1. Where exactly in the data policies is this mentioned? What I'm noticing is here where it says, "Sports shows that belong to a single primary country and air on the same Network or Web Channel every time" and it gives the Super Bowl as an example- doesn't the Super Bowl go against the 'air on the same network every time' part?...

2. If we don't allow sports broadcast on multiple networks, then shouldn't this technically be deleted? The first Super Bowl was broadcast on both CBS and NBC, as evidenced here.

P.S. I'm not trying to argue against what you're saying, but genuinely am trying to discuss this as (from what I'm seeing, at least) the data policies doesn't seem to say anything about this and actually appears to contradict itself (as mentioned above).

And then okay- let's say no, a new 'show' is not being created for NFL on Nickelodeon. Wouldn't it still be wise to add a note onto the games on TV Maze saying something along the lines of, "An alternate telecast featuring different commentators/graphics(/whatever else was) aired simultaneously on Nickelodeon."?

It would be regarding these:

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/2251879/nfl-on-cbs-2022-special-san-francisco-49ers-at-dallas-cowboys

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/2447962/nfl-on-cbs-2022-12-25-denver-broncos-at-los-angeles-rams

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1789770/super-bowl-2024-02-11-super-bowl-lviii-tbd-vs-tbd

Not sure if there's anything on TV Maze for the January 10, 2021 game... and it appears the upcoming December 25, 2023 has not been added anywhere yet.

@Magitroopa wrote:
1. Where exactly in the data policies is this mentioned? What I'm noticing is here where it says, "Sports shows that belong to a single primary country and air on the same Network or Web Channel every time" and it gives the Super Bowl as an example- doesn't the Super Bowl go against the 'air on the same network every time' part?...

2. If we don't allow sports broadcast on multiple networks, then shouldn't this technically be deleted? The first Super Bowl was broadcast on both CBS and NBC, as evidenced here.

P.S. I'm not trying to argue against what you're saying, but genuinely am trying to discuss this as (from what I'm seeing, at least) the data policies doesn't seem to say anything about this and actually appears to contradict itself (as mentioned above).

Sports shows that belong to a single primary country and air on the same Network or Web Channel every time (Like WWE Friday Night Smackdown, World Series of Poker, Superbowl)

Exactly that. Its not airing on the same network. We dont allow sports that air on multiple networks, if it's airing on NBC or whatever network plus Nickelodeon, we don't allow it. Ive flagged this up with the other staff too. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Exactly that. Its not airing on the same network. We dont allow sports that air on multiple networks, if it's airing on NBC or whatever network plus Nickelodeon, we don't allow it. Ive flagged this up with the other staff too. 

What about what I mentioned above about adding notes regarding it airing on another network(s)? And I don't mean this only regarding Nickelodeon NFL games, but whatever other sports/networks as needed (I'm just more knowledgeable about the Nickelodeon info, lol)

@Magitroopa wrote:
What about what I mentioned above about adding notes regarding it airing on another network(s)? And I don't mean this only regarding Nickelodeon NFL games, but whatever other sports/networks as needed (I'm just more knowledgeable about the Nickelodeon info, lol)

We dont allow multi broadcast sporting events so i dont even know if these episodes should be added. @david 

david wrote 6 months ago: 2

Uh, while this exact scenario isn't covered in the policy I would say that "an alternate telecast" is simply a duplicate. (Note how subtitled/dubbed versions of a show are considered a duplicate, which sounds pretty similar to what'd be the case here).

I don't really see the need to add a note type for this situation either.

Try 30 days of free premium.