Try 30 days of free premium.

Rank Changes Throughout Show

sammy_hunt wrote 8 years ago: 1

So I was reading your show extras policy and it did answer a lot of questions I had, but I couldn't find anywhere your policy on listing ranks in character names. For example, if a character starts out a Captain and throughout the course of the show gets promoted to Lt. Colonel, then Colonel, then General, how would you guys rather these be listed? From exploring, it seems like most people (but not all) are listing the character names with the latest rank increase they received. I don't know if that's okay though because it seems to me to be a (minor) spoiler for people looking at early season cast listings and seeing a guy they recognize as a Captain being listed as a General. So what do you guys think, and do you have an official policy on it?

Morning_Star wrote 8 years ago: 1

Unless they have one rank throughout the entirety of the series, my preference is to simply go by name. It doesn't apply just to ranks, as characters have titles that I see wedged into the character names. Again, unless it's something they hold throughout the show, we should just stick to names. An example of a never-changing title would be Doctor because even in real life that doesn't go away except in some very rare exceptions.

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

I think to stick to names only is the best way to deal with it though, but it is quite an issue yeah.

pentar wrote 8 years ago: 1

The ranks can be added as AKAs to the Character.

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Good question.

If a character has been credited under multiple names, there's three things we could do:

1) List all names in the character's name and separate them with a "/"

2) List the (full) name the person was last credited as, and add the other credited names as character AKA

3) List only the basic name (stripping any ranks, prefixes, etc), and add all full credited names as character AKA

I don't like #1, that's probably best reserved for superhero alter-ego's and such where both of the names are distinctly different. #2 or #3 would both be OK with me. Since you all lean towards #3 so far, we'll go with that unless there's more feedback to the contrary. Will give it some more time then write about it in the policy.

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

What purpose does the character AKA serve?

If we're talking actor AKAs, then it will bring up the "correct" name if I type in the AKA? (Richard Gautier for the primary name of Dick Gautier). That's a benefit to keep the same actor from being created multiple times under different aliases.

If I type in the actor name, it's going to fill in the primary character name, so the AKA is useless.

For instance, a character on Gotham tonight was credited as Orderly. The last time he appeared, he was credited as Orderly #1. Since the actor is already associated with "Orderly #1" in the database, that's the character name that comes up when you type in the actor name. What benefit is there to go to the Orderly #1 character page and add "Orderly" as an aka?

MichaelDeBoey wrote 8 years ago: 1

david wrote:
Good question.
If a character has been credited under multiple names, there's three things we could do:
1) List all names in the character's name and separate them with a "/"
2) List the (full) name the person was last credited as, and add the other credited names as character AKA
3) List only the basic name (stripping any ranks, prefixes, etc), and add all full credited names as character AKA
I don't like #1, that's probably best reserved for superhero alter-ego's and such where both of the names are distinctly different. #2 or #3 would both be OK with me. Since you all lean towards #3 so far, we'll go with that unless there's more feedback to the contrary. Will give it some more time then write about it in the policy.

I also prefer #3 :-)

Gadfly wrote:
If we're talking actor AKAs, then it will bring up the "correct" name if I type in the AKA? (Richard Gautier for the primary name of Dick Gautier). That's a benefit to keep the same actor from being created multiple times under different aliases.
If I type in the actor name, it's going to fill in the primary character name, so the AKA is useless.
For instance, a character on Gotham tonight was credited as Orderly. The last time he appeared, he was credited as Orderly #1. Since the actor is already associated with "Orderly #1" in the database, that's the character name that comes up when you type in the actor name. What benefit is there to go to the Orderly #1 character page and add "Orderly" as an aka?

In this case I also don't really see a benefit in adding an AKA, but in the example of the military ranks for instance I think an AKA can help :-)

pentar wrote 8 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:

I just encountered this issue again on the show Endeavour. PC Jim Strange got promoted to DS. I removed the rank from the character name and added 2 AKAs. I agree with Gadfly that as currently implemented on the site, those AKAs have little value. If the AKAs were selectable when the actor's name was added to an episode, that would make them worthwhile. And then when you look at the character page for a show, list the AKAs where the current number of appearances is currently displayed, with the number of appearances as that incarnation of the character next to it.

Oh well, maybe that should go on the wish list.

MichaelDeBoey wrote 8 years ago: 1

pentar wrote:

I just encountered this issue again on the show Endeavour. PC Jim Strange got promoted to DS. I removed the rank from the character name and added 2 AKAs. I agree with Gadfly that as currently implemented on the site, those AKAs have little value. If the AKAs were selectable when the actor's name was added to an episode, that would make them worthwhile. And then when you look at the character page for a show, list the AKAs where the current number of appearances is currently displayed, with the number of appearances as that incarnation of the character next to it.
Oh well, maybe that should go on the wish list.

Selecting the right AKA, could be a good idea, but it will be a lot of work to do that manually for each episode! :O
Especially if it's a show that allready runs for long time.
Or maybe like you have 4 seasons with AKA1, 5 seasons with AKA2 and now already 7 seasons with AKA3

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@Aidan 

@wmulder 

@pentar 

Please bear this thread in mind when editing the Chicago franchise, I don't know who but up to a few days ago Jesse Spencer was credited twice for the same character but with different rankings. If someone could have a clearup of the stars of this franchise it would be appreciated. 

Aidan wrote a year ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
@Aidan 

Please bear this thread in mind when editing the Chicago franchise, I don't know who but up to a few days ago Jesse Spencer was credited twice for the same character but with different rankings. If someone could have a clearup of the stars of this franchise it would be appreciated. 

He left the show and came back for a special guest appearance in the season finale.

Edit: I now noticed what the thread is about. 

Personally I prefer to leave out the ranks and only add their names when ranks change. Everyone seem to have a different take on it, tho. so when someone re-add it I ignore it.

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@Aidan wrote:
He left the show and came back for a special guest appearance in the season finale.

Edit: I now noticed what the thread is about. 

Personally I prefer to leave out the ranks and only add their names when ranks change. Everyone seem to have a different take on it, tho. so when someone re-add it I ignore it.

Someone had added him as Captain and then added him as the other role as a complete new character in one show :). All fixed now but we need to keep an eye out. 

Aidan wrote a year ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Someone had added him as Captain and then added him as the other role as a complete new character in one show :). All fixed now but we need to keep an eye out. 

Yep, I'm a few eps behind, so might've happened on one of those.

Try 30 days of free premium.