Try 30 days of free premium.

Summary/Biography text formatting guidelines

Jan wrote 7 years ago: 1

Hi everyone,

The TVmaze Data Policies have been updated.

More specifically Summary/Biography text formatting guidelines have been created.
http://www.tvmaze.com/faq/28/summarybiography-text-formatting

The main goals of these guidelines are:

- Improvement of the readibility of content
- Making the formatting 'style' more consistent
- Prevention of over-editing content for no reason other than conflicting personal preferences between users.

It is expected from all users to follow/respect and make other users aware of these guidelines.

Should there be any remarks/concerns regarding the new rules, please let us know we'll have a look at it.

best regards,

Jan

Edit: In case a page has been locked (due to excessive editing) just make a request in the Edit Request thread.

WilliamWade wrote 7 years ago: 1

I am trying to edit the summaries of some of the shows so that they fall in line with the new policy. However, some of the shows' summaries are locked and can't be edited.

JuanArango wrote 7 years ago: 1

WilliamWade wrote:
I am trying to edit the summaries of some of the shows so that they fall in line with the new policy. However, some of the shows' summaries are locked and can't be edited.

Please name those in the edit request thread and we will take care of it :)

bungle wrote 7 years ago: 1

looks good and this will prevent different people doing things differently, just wish the summary locks were raised a little though. ;)

JAGUARDOG wrote 7 years ago: 1

1. Not covered in the new policy is when a show's title is ALL CAPS by the Network itself and they repeat the name in their own summary several times for example the new series DRIVE. The title is all caps and it is repeated several times in their own summary so can I assume that since the Network caps the title several times it's okay to keep it caps? - http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/22209/drive

This show has the first use of DRIVE (in italics) and it is not Bolded but it can't be corrected to the new policy of reading DRIVE because the person who changed the original summary locked it up on purpose!

2. If an official summary uses a lot of BOLDING or Italics or both in their summary are we expected to change it all back to be plain, regular text except for the fist use of the title?

3. Lastly it does not mention anything about someone who comes after the original submitter is NOT allowed to touch the summary by rewording or removing words that has been done on my several times in the last 2 weeks? Also the approver of submitted shows with summaries have changed my summaries before approving them as well!

1. Caps for the purpose of emphasis is not allowed. If the official show/network name is written in caps then it should stay that way.
2. 'The first occurrence of the subject's name must be styled using boldface only. Any other formatting like italic, "quotes" or CAPITALS are not allowed.' and 'Italics may be used sparingly for emphasis. Use italics when introducing or distinguishing keywords. Overuse of emphasis reduces its effectiveness.'
3. 'Someone' can come and edit a summary with the intention of improving it. That's always been the case. What you shouldn't to is edit things back and forth out of stubbornness. If the summary is factually/grammatically correct and follows the guidelines. Move on, there is enough to do.

2. Repeating what it already says Does Not answer the question please re-read it?

drosso46561 wrote 7 years ago: 1

I have been using Boldface only on the Jeopardy episode summaries Contestant Names. I felt it made a easier to see separation between the individual contestants information and a better presentation of the episode information. Below is one of the episode summaries.

Shannon Dillmore / Raleigh, North Carolina, Genomics Research Manager; Erin Rettler / Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Brand Manager; Debbi Hopkins / Charleston, South Carolina, Administrative Assistant. Final scores in Gallery.

What I need to know is, is this still okay to do this way with the new policy.

david wrote 7 years ago: 1

JAGUARDOG wrote:
2. Repeating what it already says Does Not answer the question please re-read it?

The answer is "yes".

david wrote 7 years ago: 1

drosso46561 wrote:
I have been using Boldface only on the Jeopardy episode summaries Contestant Names. I felt it made a easier to see separation between the individual contestants information and a better presentation of the episode information. Below is one of the episode summaries.
Shannon Dillmore / Raleigh, North Carolina, Genomics Research Manager; Erin Rettler / Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Brand Manager; Debbi Hopkins / Charleston, South Carolina, Administrative Assistant. Final scores in Gallery.
What I need to know is, is this still okay to do this way with the new policy.

To remain consistent, you should switch to using italic instead of bold for these emphasis. :)

Gadfly wrote 7 years ago: 1

Is it staff's preference that users make a concerted effort to change the titles to Bold of existing summaries in the database? Or just worry about the titles in new summaries going forward?

Prio goes to new summaries being added with the correct formatting.
Secondary comes the fixing of already existing summaries.

cheers,

Jan

Jan wrote:
Prio goes to new summaries being added with the correct formatting.
Secondary comes the fixing of already existing summaries.
cheers,
Jan

Does Prio mean Priority as I am not good with made up abbreviations?

I would gladly fix any old summaries no matter who submitted them as I come across them in my travels however there are way too many that are locked and making a very, very long list that need to be unlocked or fixed is very time consuming. Is there any possibility of a one-time site unlock on all summaries throughout the site maybe please?

bungle wrote:
already onto it. here are a list of one's ive found so far that are locked without formatting.

Wouldn't finding and requesting a change to 10+ existing summaries be a concerted effort to fix them?

Also, as Juan noted above, shouldn't edit requests go in the edit request thread..

Gadfly wrote:
Wouldn't finding and requesting a change to 10+ existing summaries be a concerted effort to fix them?
Also, as Juan noted above, shouldn't edit requests go in the edit request thread..

exactly why the recent summary locks wasn't ideal imo. theirs a policy in place now that everyone's following...

bungle wrote:

exactly why the recent summary locks wasn't ideal imo. theirs a policy in place now that everyone's following...

And according to Jan, the policy is to move on when it comes to summaries already in the system and deal with other things rather than make a concerted effort to fix them..And that fixing old summaries was secondary.

At least, that's what I thought he said above was the policy. Some of the shows listed, like 60 Minutes, have been in the system since 2015. I don't know when the summary was posted, but over a year seems like it's an old summary.

JAGUARDOG wrote:

Does Prio mean Priority as I am not good with made up abbreviations?
I would gladly fix any old summaries no matter who submitted them as I come across them in my travels however there are way too many that are locked and making a very, very long list that need to be unlocked or fixed is very time consuming. Is there any possibility of a one-time site unlock on all summaries throughout the site maybe please?

Prio means Priority yes :)

Gadfly wrote:
And according to Jan, the policy is to move on when it comes to summaries already in the system and deal with other things rather than make a concerted effort to fix them..And that fixing old summaries was secondary.
At least, that's what I thought he said above was the policy. Some of the shows listed, like 60 Minutes, have been in the system since 2015. I don't know when the summary was posted, but over a year seems like it's an old summary.

yes, priority is new ones but it definitely is nice to have consistency in the old summaries as well, if I spot one I correct it :)

Try 30 days of free premium.