Try 30 days of free premium.

Summary/Biography text formatting guidelines

drosso46561 wrote 7 years ago: 1

david wrote:
To remain consistent, you should switch to using italic instead of bold for these emphasis. :)

I have now started doing that with the rest of this last weeks updates. I will start on the older ones to correct them off and on, but since they are old I am not going to make that a priority. Since keeping Jeopardy updated with the current episodes involves my running close to the edit limits on the summary I am going to be cautious as to how I correct the older ones. Jeopardy only gives a weeks worth of contestant information so there is 1 edit on the info there, then the 2nd edit with putting the winner in once I have that information and the contestant images.

Gadfly wrote 7 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
yes, priority is new ones but it definitely is nice to have consistency in the old summaries as well, if I spot one I correct it :)

Agreed, but the question was about a concerted effort on older shows, rather than just spotting them as you go.

david wrote 7 years ago: 1

That's up to everyone individually. Our only requirement is that when you edit a summary it should follow the new policy.

If you feel like actively searching for older summaries that haven't been adjusted yet, you can do so. If you think there's a better way to spend your time here, you can do so. :)

WilliamWade wrote 7 years ago: 1

Can someone remind crazyman of this policy? He has not been highlighting the titles in the descriptions.

Aidan wrote 7 years ago: 1

He fills in more information on his requests than well, anyone, and filling in missing info and properly formating the info provided is part of the approval process. So that's your job, not his, At least that's my 2 cents.

JuanArango wrote 7 years ago: 1

WilliamWade wrote:
Can someone remind crazyman of this policy? He has not been highlighting the titles in the descriptions.

People forget this, so the people like us that approve it can do it quickly too :)

The guidelines are for everyone, not just staff, aren't they?

Presumably things can be approved more quickly if they're submitted to match the guidelines. Yes? No?

TonyMayhew wrote 7 years ago: 1

People that have to request a show, do so because they are prone to making mistakes & giving them the ability to create a show themselves would create a whole can of mess.

As someone that is trusted to handle a request, you are all expected to check what has been submitted and ensure the correct info has been given. This includes highlighting the title if it hasn't been done so by the person making the request.

When and if crazyman ever gets to the stage where he is able to create a show without requesting it, then he will be expected to do so correctly.

TomSouthwell wrote 7 years ago: 1

since David said that historical shows aren't priority off getting the titles put in bold text, is it really that important that every new show added to the site also gets its title put in bold text?

TomSouthwell wrote:
since David said that historical shows aren't priority off getting the titles put in bold text, is it really that important that every new show added to the site also gets its title put in bold text?

As opposed to what? Italics? Uppercaps? I thought bolding was decided on by David to avoid those.

TonyMayhew wrote:
People that have to request a show, do so because they are prone to making mistakes & giving them the ability to create a show themselves would create a whole can of mess.
As someone that is trusted to handle a request, you are all expected to check what has been submitted and ensure the correct info has been given. This includes highlighting the title if it hasn't been done so by the person making the request.
When and if crazyman ever gets to the stage where he is able to create a show without requesting it, then he will be expected to do so correctly.

So the data policies are only for staff? That's good to know. Although they don't seem like policies then. Policies are typically things that everyone is expected to follow correctly.

http://www.tvmaze.com/faqs/9/data-policies

Are they only available to be seen by staff? If only staff is expected to use them, it seems pointless to let anyone else see them.

Since the policy is (presumably) publicly displayed, I don't see what the problem is with WilliamWade's original request: to remind crazyman of the policy. If he doesn't do it, then we can worry about it then, if there's anything to worry about. Is there some reason to think he wouldn't if he was reminded?

I'd be glad to nicely remind him, as long as I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. Judging from the above, it seems like I would be. Or tell crazyman something that isn't correct, which amounts to the same thing.

gazza911 wrote 7 years ago: 1

This is one of the reasons I'd like to be able to put a message on approved requests (not just rejected ones) - so that this could easily be communicated to them whilst remaining relevant.

Policy applies to everyone and all newly created/updated data.

As for on-topic, I'm aware of the desire for better communication tools. It'll come :)

So, would someone else like to contact crazyman, or shall I?

IMO it's not necessary.

He's by far our best requester and goes above and beyond on finding additional sources, so if we have to touch up a description now and then that's really not an issue for anyone at all, except for that one guy that is annoyed he can't do 1-click approvals all the way through the request list.

That wasn't the impression I got from David when he said above, "Policy applies to everyone and all newly created/updated data." But okay.

So we can't even nicely ask crazyman to follow the posted policy because he's by far TVMaze's best requestor? Is he the only one, or does anyone else get exceptions to the policy as well?

And whether it's one exception or a dozen or a hundred, could we have this exception list posted somewhere, easy to find? Thanks!

LadyShelley wrote 7 years ago: 1

I think David's point was more all newly added shows need to follow the stated policy regardless of when it aired, not who needs to do the updating.

David's point was in response to the question about older shows not being a priority to update (if you see it, fix it but there isn't a dedicated group of folks going through every entry looking at what needs to be updated)

Gadfly wrote:
That wasn't the impression I got from David when he said above, "Policy applies to everyone and all newly created/updated data." But okay.
So we can't even nicely ask crazyman to follow the posted policy because he's by far TVMaze's best requestor? Is he the only one, or does anyone else get exceptions to the policy as well?
And whether it's one exception or a dozen or a hundred, could we have this exception list posted somewhere, easy to find? Thanks!

That's not what I meant at all. So let me be a tad more blunt. This whole thing only became an issue because WilliamWade is too lazy to do a trivial edit when approving shows and my response is more of a "geez that's part of the job when approving shows, so get over it."

Try 30 days of free premium.