Try 30 days of free premium.

Animation as a Show type

LouisWu wrote 7 years ago: 1

All the show types on TVmaze indicate different genres. The actual show content or subject is the decider. Except for animation, which is a way to cerate content instead, any of the other genres can actually be created using animation. Legendary Pixar and Disney director Brad Bird (of "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles" fame) can explain this much more eloquently than I can (vimeo). The relevant quote starts at 3:46.

Should we remove animation as a show type from TVmaze?

Discuss :)

gazza911 wrote 7 years ago: 1

I don't believe it should - scripted can comprise of any genre (although for anime the type is primarily Animation), but no-one would even consider removing scripted.

Even if animation was removed, what would you do with those that are currently categorised as it; you can't move them all to the genre anime as not all animation is anime (but all anime is animation).

Anime is the Japanese word for animation, traditionally used exclusively for animations produced in Japan. Although I won't go into detail on that subject though as there's lots of differing opinions on what can and can't be categorised as anime (due to co-productions, outsourcing, anime-styled, producers classing an animation as anime themselves, Korean/Chinese produced, etc).

JuanArango wrote 7 years ago: 1

I am also against removing Animation, as this is used as a genre for many decades on all sites and users are very familiar with it :)

david wrote 7 years ago: 1

I understand what you mean, but to me there's an important difference between show types and genres: show types are objective. You can argue about whether "The Simpsons" should have the "Family" genre or not, but there's no denying that its type is Animation.

Jan wrote 7 years ago: 1

And then you have shows like 'son of zorn'.

Gadfly wrote 7 years ago: 1

david wrote:
I understand what you mean, but to me there's an important difference between show types and genres: show types are objective. You can argue about whether "The Simpsons" should have the "Family" genre or not, but there's no denying that its type is Animation.

Then shouldn't there be a separate listing for "show type"? You seem to be saying that it's different from "genre".

And then you have some cross over. There are some people who use "family" to refer to the type of show (the show is aimed at families) and the genre (the show features a "family".

The Simpsons, for instance, would be Show Type: Animation, and Genre: Family. I don't think most people would say that The Simpsons is aimed at "families," which typically includes an age of 1 to 100.

WilliamWade wrote 7 years ago: 1

Jan wrote:

a mixture of animation and live-action acting

gazza911 wrote 7 years ago: 1

Jan wrote:

Isn't it the one which most accurately describes it?

Whilst it's true that there is animation in Son of Zorn, not all of it is.

However, all of it is scripted.

bungle wrote 7 years ago: 1

LouisWu wrote:
Should we remove animation as a show type from TVmaze?
Discuss :)

against this also

Gadfly wrote 7 years ago: 1

I'd be against removing it, because it is a show type. But it's not a "genre."

Try 30 days of free premium.