Try 30 days of free premium.

Deleted all season just to recreate it just after

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 2

The point being that adding correct episodes from scratch is about 3 times faster than editing empty placeholders.

What's the point of creating more than one empty episode for binge released shows? We know premiere date and episode order, what is the benefit of having 9 more totally empty episodes?

Cecile wrote 4 years ago: 1

I don't say that the person who created them was right, but deleting already existing episodes to recreate them can impact other users; as they could have been marked with a status.

I understand than it can be tedious to update them, but it's probably the better way.

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

I'm with tnt on this one.

If you don't have anything substantial to add, don't add it.

Jan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Deleting existing episodes impacts services using our data through the API as well. It's definitely NOT OK to do that if it's just for the sake of being fast.

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

My comment was more about adding episodes like that in the first place.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
The point being that adding correct episodes from scratch is about 3 times faster than editing empty placeholders.

What's the point of creating more than one empty episode for binge released shows? We know premiere date and episode order, what is the benefit of having 9 more totally empty episodes?

But what's the point to delete them if they are already created? You could just add the missing info later on when the show is released too.

MTQueenie wrote 4 years ago: 1

The rules clearly states that episodes are allowed to be added if the title OR date is known so there is nothing wrong with adding all the episodes in a binge released season, there is however something wrong with deleting other peoples work just because you can't be bothered to edit existing episodes. You should only delete stuff that's incorrect or not allowed according to the rules.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Could someone explain to me at least a single benefit of adding placeholder episodes with no valuable information (no titles, no summaries, no images), apart from earning edit points? Something that could justify the loss of time because of them? I thought offering users the accurate information as fast as possible is the goal, apparently I was wrong.

Fine, I won't be deleting them anymore, considering API and such, but I suggest that creating such placeholders would be discouraged by the policy instead. The first episode is more than enough, it holds the premiere date and trailer. But the rest is useless before they actually released, they have no new information, therefore no value, and only get in the way.

BTW, the automated importer script is often doing the same, deleting and re-creating episodes. I don't remember someone complaining about that.

gazza911 wrote 4 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Could someone explain to me at least a single benefit of adding placeholder episodes with no valuable information (no titles, no summaries, no images), apart from earning edit points? Something that could justify the loss of time because of them? I thought offering users the accurate information as fast as possible is the goal, apparently I was wrong.

IMO, the only time when it could be considered valuable to add placeholder episodes is when the episodes ordered for the season is not known, but it's known that there's at least another x (currently placeholder) episodes that will air.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

gazza911 wrote:
IMO, the only time when it could be considered valuable to add placeholder episodes is when the episodes ordered for the season is not known, but it's known that there's at least another x (currently placeholder) episodes that will air.

Yes, but this concerns only a regularly broadcasted shows, right? Where each new episode holds a new airdate, and this is it's value.
While I was meaning only the binge released shows, where predefined (known) number of episodes are being released on the same day.

Anyway, the question was mostly rhetorical, I don't suppose I will have an answer :D

Cecile wrote 4 years ago: 0

I saw the note, but they did had a date, so adding them was the right move; and by removing them we lost all data history for those episodes

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 2

@Cecile wrote:
I saw the note, but they did had a date, so adding them was the right move; and by removing them we lost all data history for those episodes

None of the official sources announced those dates, they was calculated based on the premiere date and alleged schedule, so adding them was not really the right move. Therefore the value of "data history" for those episodes tends to zero.
Anyways, as soon as premiere was cancelled, those dates became obsolete and have to be removed. And, as gazza stated above, per TVmaze policy episode can't exist in the database if it doesn't have an airdate or name:

https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/15/episodes Either the episode name or release date has to be known before a future episode can be added. Adding "TBA" episodes beyond that point is not welcome.

Try 30 days of free premium.