Try 30 days of free premium.

BBC The War of the Worlds Airs Tonight in Canada

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

Just a heads up for the Frozen Chosen up here in the Great White North ... tie up the sled dogs, break out the poutine & Screech and sit back and enjoy

https://www.tv-eh.com/2019/09/05/channel-your-fears-te-conjures-up-five-spooky-new-shows-and-resurrects-two-fan-favourite-series-this-october/

Starting Thurs., Oct. 3, T+E offers all treats and no tricks with a spooky “Creep Month” line-up that features five new series and two returning favourites, all in time to embrace the spine-tingling spirit of Halloween. Highlights include the highly-anticipated North American premiere of BBC’s re-telling of The War of the Worlds (Oct. 6 at 10 p.m. ET/PT) starring Rafe Spall, Eleanor Tomlinson, Robert Carlyle and Rupert Graves

The War of the Worlds trailer @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU

wmulder wrote 4 years ago: 1

So it looks like Canada gets the world premiere, not New Zealand like Wikipedia says.

I noticed you changed the show to T+E in Canada and it is now showing up on todays calendar, but at 5pm when it should be showing at 10pm ... well, 9pm because TVMaze has Canadian network time zones messed up and thinks T+E is on Atlantic time. I don't think it's anything you did, I think the show has, for some reason, retained a UK start time.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

I thought we weren't supposed to add international dates unless the network was involved with production (Outcast on Fox UK for example)? Is T+E associated with BBC or the production companies?

BazzaG wrote 4 years ago: 1

kevin87 wrote:
I thought we weren't supposed to add international dates unless the network was involved with production ...

My thoughts exactly.

This is where I get confused because for 1 show I recently added 6 "empty" episodes for 'The Good Karma Hospital' Season 3, which is premiering on the ABC (AU) this coming Saturday but ITV is the shows "owner". For another, the network and everything is changed.

As far as I can tell, it's a Mammoth Screen (ITV Studios) production for the BBC, with ITVS GE dealing with the international sales ... including a sale to Blue Ant Media the owner of T+E.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

Kevin and Bazza are absolutely right. A few months ago, an update was made as to what channel will get the right and dates we'd be using to publish series and production value was one of the most important for this matter.

As BBC will broadcast it soon too (no date yet announced), but is the series that took this series into production, will have the right to be used as main channel with it's dates as our policy states right now. I discussed it with Juan too, so I have changed it back to BBC One and removed all dates on all episodes till BBC announces theirs.

Obviously if the production channel decides to broadcast it a year later than another network, the production value will not be taken into account, but am pretty sure that BBC will start to broadcast it too anytime soon.

While I understand the rule on ownership I can't say I agree. Again, from a client service point of view, visitors want to know when they can see a show in their region and/or when it makes a world premiere. Tying the show to the BBC is great for the 50 odd million people in the UK but the other 7 BILLION world citizens don't care when Liz & Phil can watch, they want to know when they can watch.

I know it may take a major coding effort but I think TVMaze should make every attempt to capture all air dates if people are willing to do the work to add them.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

SilverSurfer wrote:
While I understand the rule on ownership I can't say I agree. Again, from a client service point of view, visitors want to know when they can see a show in their region and/or when it makes a world premiere. Tying the show to the BBC is great for the 50 odd million people in the UK but the other 7 BILLION world citizens don't care when Liz & Phil can watch, they want to know when they can watch.

I know it may take a major coding effort but I think TVMaze should make every attempt to capture all air dates if people are willing to do the work to add them.

I completely understand your point of view, however the majority of our users we've asked were opting to take ''production value'' into account and not use some weird structure of having different channels so often per season.

We do not tailor for the world as it is impossible to please every single person in this universe, but we do tailor for our community and the majority of our community wanted it so.

Tying the show to the BBC is great for the 50 odd million people in the UK but the other 7 BILLION world citizens don't care when Liz & Phil can watch.

Would 95 Million US watchers agree that some US shows are tied to Canadian channels cause it aired a hour ahead of the US broadcasters? I think many would object too!

fenlander wrote 4 years ago: 1

Apparently it didn't actually air on T+E last Sunday, though I don't know why. It's now scheduled to air the first 2 episodes tonight (13th). In the meantime, it is reported to be already showing in Russia...

BazzaG wrote 4 years ago: 1

The BBC version ... 13/Oct/2019 in New Zealand.

While this is a great story from H.G. Wells .... Amazing that we get TWO adaptions in the same year, with the Fox/Canal+ adaption currently broadcasting at least in Belgium.

I suspect that this maybe the reason that the BBC seem to be holding back theirs from broadcast ...

Thomas wrote:
Would 95 Million US watchers agree that some US shows are tied to Canadian channels cause it aired a hour ahead of the US broadcasters? I think many would object too!

Well, if it's cable then there isn't an hour difference. TVMaze has Canadian cable channels set to Atlantic time though none that I'm aware of take ATZ into account, their schedules are based on "New York" time. I DON'T want those shows listed in Canada because their times would be wrong. But that's besides the point, an hour difference is not the same as a few weeks or months difference. Those should, IMHO, have the earliest airings listed whether its in the UK, Canada, US or Outer Mongolia. ymmv

fenlander wrote:
Apparently it didn't actually air on T+E last Sunday, though I don't know why. It's now scheduled to air the first 2 episodes tonight (13th). In the meantime, it is reported to be already showing in Russia...

I see that in the schedule, but the first episode @ 9pm isn't listed as "new" indicating it aired previously ... though I can not find any evidence that it did in fact air last week ... so colour me confused.

Thomas wrote:

We do not tailor for the world as it is impossible to please every single person in this universe, but we do tailor for our community and the majority of our community wanted it so.

Just curious, who is the TVMaze community? I mean where do most visitors come from? And was there a poll or discussion thread? I'd be interested in seeing why people would choose to not have first airings listed and instead wait for the "home" country to broadcast episodes.

Try 30 days of free premium.