Try 30 days of free premium.

Data Policies > Show Main Images > Movie Posters

gazza911 wrote 4 years ago: 1

@SilverSurfer wrote:
The @mention will come in handy for such things now. My "OK, given there's been no further chat on this topic..." was a bump it back to the top and it got a response so, mission accomplished. :)

Indeed, but we're all currently active.

The mention means I'll get a notification on my phone, so I'll immediately know that there's something that needs my attention.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 2

@SilverSurfer wrote:
Of course, but if you have to check every time something may not be covered, or it's coverage is not clear, then you have a lot of cross talk and contributors may feel their time is better spent on other endeavors. Removing initiative and flexibility makes Jack a dull boy.

Honestly, how often do you think that happens? I don't see so much of a cross talk. Yes, the policy is probably imperfect, but even in its current state it covers about 90-95% of real life scenarios, give or take. And the things being discussed in forums are mostly unique one-time oddities, so you can't possibly predict them all and put into the policy.

I'd only wish that every precedent, which was discussed and where we came to some conclusion, was somehow catalogued and linked to the policy, so one could quickly run through all tricky cases we've discussed, before opening a new topic on some already solved problem.

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

@gazza911 wrote:
Indeed, but we're all currently active.

The mention means I'll get a notification on my phone, so I'll immediately know that there's something that needs my attention.

I know, but the feature is new. When I did the bump up it was not, as far as I know, an option I could have used.

@tnt wrote:
Honestly, how often do you think that happens? I don't see so much of a cross talk. Yes, the policy is probably imperfect, but even in its current state it covers about 90-95% of real life scenarios, give or take. And the things being discussed in forums are mostly unique one-time oddities, so you can't possibly predict them all and put into the policy.

I've mentioned it before but, in my previous life 98% of the work was caused by 2% of the people. We tried, and sometimes failed, to walk a fine line between giving staff the flexibility to move the work forward vs having everything covered by policy, precedent or my personal stamp of approval. And when staff made an error, we used it as a learning opportunity ... say, for example, a clerk posts a movie poster for a show only to have it removed and have no idea why it was removed and no feedback to clairify ... how is that poor clerk to learn and grow?

I'd only wish that every precedent, which was discussed and where we came to some conclusion, was somehow catalogued and linked to the policy, so one could quickly run through all tricky cases we've discussed, before opening a new topic on some already solved problem.

Agreed 110%. Over time our precedent binders were growing almost as big as the policy binders but they were HUGE time savers in the long run as well as instructive on new cases ... ie we did A here and B there so this case is kinda somewhere in the middle so how about we A/B=C ... of course not every case would be that simple but previous precedent did help us navigate new waters.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

@SilverSurfer wrote:

say, for example, a clerk posts a movie poster for a show only to have it removed and have no idea why it was removed and no feedback to clairify ... how is that poor clerk to learn and grow?

well, people keep uploading things which are explicitly not allowed by policy, so nothing will stop a zealous clerk :) and for a feedback we have PM and talk page.

@tnt wrote:
well, people keep uploading things which are explicitly not allowed by policy, so nothing will stop a zealous clerk :) and for a feedback we have PM and talk page.

But the poor clerk in question knew the poster was not forbidden by policy so assumed it was acceptable then, only by chance, discovered their work undone with no clue why ... since there is no CBA in place, a grievance was out of the question and so went off to try to have the issue addressed. BTW, who is the union steward in these parts?

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

@SilverSurfer wrote:
But the poor clerk in question knew the poster was not forbidden by policy so assumed it was acceptable then

It was not listed as acceptable to begin with :)
Anyways, David already told you that policy will be clarified.

@tnt wrote:
It was not listed as acceptable to begin with :)

We can go round 'n round till the cows come home on this one. No, it was not listed as acceptable, but it also was _not listed as unacceptable_  and therefore a grey area existed. I took a shot to add a temp image using a movie poster. Hilarity ensued. Policy has been updated. The cow dance, while fun, has heard the last tune till the next dance comes along. :)

@david wrote:
Done

Thanks for putting the clarification in policy.

Try 30 days of free premium.