Try 30 days of free premium.

Videos (Trailers vs. Full episode)

markus wrote 3 years ago: 2

Videos can be added to an episode either as Trailer or Full episode.
Trailers are then embedded in the episode page. So far so good.

Problem is: Full episode videos are ... just gone.
They are not embedded and there is also no link whatsoever to the Videos section if you're not in edit mode.

Any chance you can embed the full episode if there isn't a trailer and also make the Videos link appear if any YT links were added?

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

As well as on the episode itself, I think the main show page previous episodes Trailer column should be renamed to Video (or something similar) and then link to full episode with trailer as fallback.

LadyShelley wrote 3 years ago: 2

Why are we adding full episodes at all? We aren't a streaming service. Maybe it's just Saturday morning confusion. 

SilverSurfer wrote 3 years ago: 2

I assume they are talking about free, legally available episodes on various platforms ... either new, current shows or older ones that have fallen into the public domain. While I think it would be great to be able to link to such episodes, my fear would be that it quickly gets overwhelmed with links to pirate copies of protected shows sending TPtB into a never ending game of Whack-a-Mole.

markus wrote 3 years ago: 2

@LadyShelley wrote:
Why are we adding full episodes at all?

Well sometimes they exist on Youtube and the video type value is already there.
The problem is, that all YT links that aren't embedded as a trailer are essentially invisible right now.

@SilverSurfer wrote:
While I think it would be great to be able to link to such episodes, my fear would be that it quickly gets overwhelmed with links to pirate copies of protected shows

That is a good point.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 3

@SilverSurfer wrote:
While I think it would be great to be able to link to such episodes, my fear would be that it quickly gets overwhelmed with links to pirate copies of protected shows sending TPtB into a never ending game of Whack-a-Mole.

One way to mitigate that could be to only allow it on episodes where the season's web channel is set to YouTube ( or YT Premium).

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 3

@gazza911 wrote:
One way to mitigate that could be to only allow it on episodes where the season's web channel is set to YouTube ( or YT Premium).

A few Russian and Ukrainian production companies and film studios releasing TV films and series they made on YouTube after they were shown on TV. But since the shows were not originally simulcasted, they can't have YouTube set as a web channel. Nevertheless, those episodes are absolutely legal and free.

FHFbVB1Mkd3 wrote 3 years ago: 0

IMO the fear of "pirated copies" would be equal to the fear of users adding/updating/deleting wrong data anywhere. Newbies would be easily restricted after few edits. Others would simply be banned from editing if "caught"? Just need a strict policy on it. I think it will work out fine, but maybe I am naive.

Overall, YT embeds seems very convenient to me (especially for YT shows indeed.)

markus wrote 3 years ago: 1

@gazza911 wrote:

Also likely to be found on YT are (short) specials for regular shows that the network releases there.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

My previous comment was just to say if we wanted to minimise the chance of pirate YT links, not to cover all shows that could have full episodes available on YouTube. 

LadyShelley wrote 3 years ago: 1

@markus wrote:
Also likely to be found on YT are (short) specials for regular shows that the network releases there.

Then those should have a separate listing (assuming they meet the policy requirement) But we have never been a site to watch content. We are an information source. 

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 4

@LadyShelley wrote:
Then those should have a separate listing (assuming they meet the policy requirement) But we have never been a site to watch content. We are an information source. 

It's not like we will be hosting content to watch. But it's also information, not better or worse than any other information we provide.
The idea of storing links to the official streaming sources was suggested more than once and as far as I remember was accepted as something to do in the future. Links to full episodes were added not long ago, so maybe it's the first step in this direction?

ArvidBaa wrote a year ago: 2

I'm still wondering about the fact that "full episodes" are invisible, and does not appear anywhere except in the "hidden" videos tab. "Trailers" appear on the episode page, so why can not also "full episodes" appear in the same place? Or at least make the videos tab visible.

/ArvidBaa

Try 30 days of free premium.