Try 30 days of free premium.

Hate Voting: How to get rid of the problem...

Sandrosaurus wrote 6 years ago: 1

So I just started a brand new Netflix show. And each episode has already a vote and all of them are "1/10".

That's bullocks. Even "The Room" is a 2/10.

Back to the problem...I want a window to pop up if you vote something 3/10 or below. In that window you say in 5 lines why you hated it and that goes to a commission.

If the commission agrees, the point will be added.

markus wrote 6 years ago: 1

Way too much manual effort, the "commission" part is borderline crazy.
That's not how voting works! (Except for maybe in North Korea)

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

Sandrosaurus wrote:
So I just started a brand new Netflix show. And each episode has already a vote and all of them are "1/10".

That's bullocks. Even "The Room" is a 2/10.

Back to the problem...I want a window to pop up if you vote something 3/10 or below. In that window you say in 5 lines why you hated it and that goes to a commission.

If the commission agrees, the point will be added.

We seem to have some users who are voting pretty extreme, if we suspect something, we always check on it. Could you tell us which Show it is, then we will look into it.

bungle wrote 6 years ago: 1

i'm not entirely in agreement here. one man's junk is another man's treasure etc and therefore a not-so popular show may be liked by others just the same as a popular show doesn't have to be liked by everyone.

the votes should balance out the more people vote, so if anything i'd say the problem lies there..more people need to be voting on the shows they follow.

just my two ;)

markus wrote 6 years ago: 1

bungle wrote:
more people need to be voting on the shows they follow.

Agreed. Opening a free user API for that might instantly solve the problem ;)

Sandrosaurus wrote 6 years ago: 1

Each new Jessica Jones episode has a 1/10 for some reaason...Is it the best show? nope...but a 1 is pretty extreme.

Sandrosaurus wrote:
Each new Jessica Jones episode has a 1/10 for some reaason...Is it the best show? nope...but a 1 is pretty extreme.

this is actually very extreme.

bungle wrote 6 years ago: 1

indeed. not seen it myself but seems someone isn't liking the direction the show is heading. :D

Aidan wrote 6 years ago: 1

Yeah I've noticed this on other shows too and it seems to be happening more frequently.

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

Yup, I see every now and then that a new show will be 1/10 for no apparent reason.

I'm actually curious if there's any shows with multiple votes that's rated 1/10.

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

What about people voting for a series that did not even started yet?

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

Thomas wrote:
What about people voting for a series that did not even started yet?

I raised it before; it's legitimate due to press screeners. Although 1/10 before it airs is clearly malicious.

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

gazza911 wrote:
I raised it before; it's legitimate due to press screeners. Although 1/10 before it airs is clearly malicious.

Yes, that reasoning may be partly true and I do not entirely agree with it as I have seen votes on series within TVmaze that did not even start their official production yet.

Early online episodes on new shows aren't unusual either, so blanket banning voting on "unaired" episodes isn't the way to go, I don't think.

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

The only effective method to deal with hate voters would be to somehow encourage more people to vote, to compensate. But demanding from people to explain their votes it's not really fair nor effective.

gazza911 wrote:
Yup, I see every now and then that a new show will be 1/10 for no apparent reason.

I'm actually curious if there's any shows with multiple votes that's rated 1/10.

There were some brigading at the start of the latest season of Hawaii Five-0, probably originating from some controversial casting changes.

david is right now looking into it :)

david wrote 6 years ago: 1

I checked out the user who gave the "1" votes on Jessica Jones. It's a somewhat odd behavior, but I don't think it's malicious intent: he/she has hundreds of votes and 90% of them are either a 1 or a 10.

I don't know if there's anything to do here, apart from encouraging users to vote more frequently. We (and every other site in the world with ratings) offer the option to give a rating of 1, so we can't complain if someone uses it. If a user only ever votes 1 (or 10) it would be cause for concern, but otherwise probably not.

david wrote 6 years ago: 1

A possible "fix" could be to only show ratings when at least X people have voted. Thoughts?

pentar wrote 6 years ago: 1

I think IMDB has (or had) something like that, "waiting for 5 votes" message.

Also, If someone really feels the episodes are worth a 1, why do they continue watching?

Try 30 days of free premium.