Try 30 days of free premium.

Hate Voting: How to get rid of the problem...

Jan wrote 6 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:
Another thing that haven't been mentioned yet is that "not enough votes yet" makes it sound like we have no users,so a wast majority of the site will look like a wasteland as no one is gonna go back and give older shows more votes.

It's a chicken or the egg situation. We're monitoring the evolution of this implementation and its impact. We'll take action if needed.

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

I think this is common on all other sites too, shows are getting much more votes than single episodes. But hopefully the new system will encourage people also to vote more on episodes. I always vote on everything I have watched, takes only a second to do it, so let us try to be positive Aidan :)

tnt wrote 6 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
I think this is common on all other sites too, shows are getting much more votes than single episodes. But hopefully the new system will encourage people also to vote more on episodes. I always vote on everything I have watched, takes only a second to do it, so let us try to be positive Aidan :)

Many people (myself included) are marking watched episodes through personal watchlist. But there's no way to vote in the watchlist, at least yet. So IMO the next logical step would be adding a vote option to the watchlist.

Aidan wrote 6 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Many people (myself included) are marking watched episodes through personal watchlist. But there's no way to vote in the watchlist, at least yet. So IMO the next logical step would be adding a vote option to the watchlist.

Yeah I like this idea too, I think I've mentioned it once before as well.

david wrote 6 years ago: 1

Today's update also includes changing the minimum amount of votes required for an episode to 2, and for a show to 4. We'll monitor if and how episode voting increases and make further changes if necessary :)

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

Didn't read the whole thread, stumbled upon it while searching something else but ... how about an Olympic solution? Once you get x ratings, say 5 or 10, toss out the lowest and highest. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement though ... ymmv

BTW, since the various voting changes, has there been an impact on participation?

Aidan wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'd say episode rating is still abysmal, with even US primetime shows struggling to get 2 votes.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:
I'd say episode rating is still abysmal, with even US primetime shows struggling to get 2 votes.

I agree that some shows struggle with episode voting, but we cannot force people to vote.

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
I agree that some shows struggle with episode voting, but we cannot force people to vote.

Actually we can, if voting for episode would be easier than just marking it as watched :D

And we have badges premiering people if they like a certain amount of shows, why not a badge for 5000 episode votes or something.

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

Sure, it's not that much work adding more voting badges. We'll do it soon.

And we've gradually added more ways of voting and marking episodes. So suggestions are welcome. :)

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Jan wrote:
Sure, it's not that much work adding more voting badges. We'll do it soon.

And we've gradually added more ways of voting and marking episodes. So suggestions are welcome. :)

One thing could be that if you mark an episode as watched, you get a hint (reminder/popup) to vote.

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:
And we have badges premiering people if they like a certain amount of shows, why not a badge for 5000 episode votes or something.

+1

bungle wrote 5 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:

I think 5k is maybe a bit excessive but more badges sounds like a good idea none the less. +1

eherberg wrote 5 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
One thing could be that if you mark an episode as watched, you get a hint (reminder/popup) to vote.

Hopefully with a way to disable such a feature. I know I would never use it ... and would dislike a popup prompting it. For me ... I couldn't give a whoop regarding somebody else's opinion on a program (and am astonished that anybody else should care about mine). I'm only interested in one opinion regarding my personal TV watching ... and it's mine. :-)

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:

It seems like that would encourage more mass-voting, hate-voting or otherwise.

eherberg wrote:
Hopefully with a way to disable such a feature. I know I would never use it ... and would dislike a popup prompting it. For me ... I couldn't give a whoop regarding somebody else's opinion on a program (and am astonished that anybody else should care about mine). I'm only interested in one opinion regarding my personal TV watching ... and it's mine. :-)

+1

I'll vote on episodes I watch, because... why not? It takes about two seconds. But it doesn't tell me anything, or seem to serve any useful function. All it does is (not really) tell you how many people watched the episode and bothered to vote on TVMaze (or IMDB, or wherever you're looking). I don't know who they are, or if their tastes are similar to mine, If someone hates superhero shows and goes through and rates every episode of superhero show a 1 (i.e., "hate-voting"), that tells me nothing. It's not just hate-voting, but being unable to distinguish between someone who thought the episode was really bad, and just hates superhero episodes in general.

If I go to an episode and see that it has a total rating of 1, it's not like I'm going to watch it or not based on that. Ditto for a 10 average.

I guess it's just... "traditional" that voting is allowed.

There might be ways to make the info more useful. Like seeing how one person voted: a 1 and a bunch of 10s for episodes of the same show tell me something, as does their voting all 10s or all 1s. But even then... so what? I probably don't know the one person. And even if I did, I'd then know enough about them to know how they think about shows in general such that i don't need to see their voting.

Online voting is about as useful as any other anonymous online voting and polling. TVMaze doesn't do anything with the info, does it? Although being able to sort episodes by voting scores might be one such useful feature. But if it's not worth the programming time, then what's the point of the votes in the first place?

Yeah the actual rating isn't important to me either, but the number of votes kinda is. It just looks bad when an episode is waiting for more votes. Makes it look like the site have no users.

That said there's plenty more that could be done with the episode rating like generating that season average that were discussed earlier, do episode lists based on ranking and so on that could be really fun and even start conversations.

Aidan wrote:
Yeah the actual rating isn't important to me either, but the number of votes kinda is. It just looks bad when an episode is waiting for more votes. Makes it look like the site have no users.

Eh. I don't think it looks good or bad. And if TVMaze wants the site to look "good", why not just add 10-20-50 random votes per episode?

That's why the number don't mean anything to me. Who knows what the site has done to generate those numbers? Have they done anything? The assumption is that they're "real" votes, but who knows? I go to data sites based on the data, not who did or didn't watch a given episode. You could have an episode with 50 votes but no data. I'd rather have an episode page with a lot of data and 0-1 vote, than 50 votes and no data.

Try 30 days of free premium.