Try 30 days of free premium.

How Big is the 2018 Lifeboat?

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'd like it if Lucifer got picked up by DC Universe... but seems like they'd have done it by now.

pentar wrote 5 years ago: 1

I read a critique on reddit (Peeved_Pundit) that completely summarized my feelings on this show. I hope its okay to include it here.

"The show had an excellent concept, and it started off strong, but it was totally ruined by asinine writing and a loss of focus. It started off as an intriguing political thriller, and it ended up becoming a poor man's West Wing with some pretty cringe worthy NCIS elements sprinkled in too.

I can't begin to express how frustrated I've been with this show. President Kirkman should have had the most unique Presidency since Abraham Lincoln. The entire government was wiped out in a terrorist attack by a powerful collective of lunatic politicians and military figures trying to stage a full-scale coup in America. There are so many plot points that could be explored in that sort of scenario, enough to cover a well written, multi-season show.

But the writers chose to speed run through rebuilding the government and breaking up the conspiracy. By season 2, Kirkman's main concerns are entertaining foreign dignitaries, Confederate statues, and goddamn bee farmers.

THE WHOLE GOVERNMENT GOT WIPED OUT LIKE 6-12 MONTHS BEFORE THIS. WHY IS EVERYTHING SO NORMAL? THIS SHOULD BE A CIVIL WAR/RECONSTRUCTION-LEVEL REBUILDING EFFORT! ARGH!!!!!

And they chose to spend almost the entire first half of Season 2 on this meandering, dull investigation into the First Lady, only to kill her off immediately after the resolution of that plotline. WHAT THE F*#! WAS THE POINT OF ALL THAT? JESUS.

The Hannah Wells character became utterly cartoonish. Apparently, she's the only capable field agent that the FBI has in the show's universe, because she's jet-setting around the world every week, putting out fires and crises totally unrelated to the Capitol bombing investigation that she was originally assigned to. The episode where she joins up with a f*#!ing SEAL Team in a Middle Eastern country was beyond dumb. Her whole storyline was low-brow, NCIS/A-Team garbage. It made the show's universe totally unrealistic.

I could go on and on. It was a great concept that was executed terribly, and it's cancellation is well deserved IMO. It could have been one of the best shows on TV, but it became the low effort stuff you ultimately expect from the Big Four networks in 2018."

Try 30 days of free premium.