Try 30 days of free premium.

How to Pirate Books, Music & Videos

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

OK OK, don't get your knickers in a twist! I'm not talking about illegal pirating done by consumers, I'm talking about "legal" pirating by the studios and/or distributors and/or web sellers. I'm sure most people on TVmaze are aware of this, but it never hurts to post a reminder once in awhile so you're not (totally) shocked when, like my daughter-in-law, you wake up some morning and go to pick-up where you left off reading the night before to find that book has been removed from your Kindle. On the bright side I found out she was once in the navy ... or I assume she was, she was sure cursing like a sailor.

You Don't Own the Music, Movies or Ebooks You 'Buy' on Amazon or iTunes

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/you-dont-own-the-music-movies-or-ebooks-you-buy-on-ama-1829000327

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

It was happening with the music for a long time. On the other hand, you could download your purchase, put it on the thumb drive, and it will be yours forever :D

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 2

That's why you stick to physical media, unless they start breaking into your house and removing them by hand. :P

tnt wrote:
It was happening with the music for a long time. On the other hand, you could download your purchase, put it on the thumb drive, and it will be yours forever :D

As far as I know, but I'm getting it second hand, you can't do that with Kindle "purchases" ... or at least not easily perhaps there's a hack to do it but it's not how the Kindle works ... at least that's what my swabbie daughter-in-law tells me. But yes, if the system you use allows for downloading to your own device you should definitely do that ... assuming there's no "phone home" feature embed that could make the file useless in the future (see DIVX epic failure from late 1990s).

kevin87 wrote:
That's why you stick to physical media, unless they start breaking into your house and removing them by hand. :P

That's the exact scenario is used with my daughter-in-law why I thought a book was superior to a digital copy ... I said image you wake up only to find Amazon sent someone to your house in the middle of the night to take the book off your library shelf!

SilverSurfer wrote:
As far as I know, but I'm getting it second hand, you can't do that with Kindle "purchases"

You could always print them, get yourself a real 'hard copy', or be creative and take a snap of each page with smartphone )))

tnt wrote:
You could always print them, get yourself a real 'hard copy', or be creative and take a snap of each page with smartphone )))

Practice your typing and make your own, DRM free, copy as a .txt file? Sing songs yourself with friends doing backing music by humming? Act out Jurassic World with hand puppets? There are endless ways to stick it the "the man"! :)

SilverSurfer wrote:
Practice your typing and make your own, DRM free, copy as a .txt file? Sing songs yourself with friends doing backing music by humming? Act out Jurassic World with hand puppets? There are endless ways to stick it the "the man"! :)

Actually, in the times of Soviet Union many of suppressed books, or books written by authors, banned by regime, were passed hand-to-hand in clandestine copies, so-called samizdat (self publish), manifolded on early photocopiers. Those copies were literally fade over time, so at some point someone had to re-type the most faded pages and replace them with the fresh print-outs.

Most of the science fiction I've read in my childhood were from samizdat, and couple of times I was retyping couple of dozen pages in my father's office, on the computer size of the room :)

Tonks wrote 5 years ago: 1

SilverSurfer wrote:
As far as I know, but I'm getting it second hand, you can't do that with Kindle "purchases" ... or at least not easily perhaps there's a hack to do it but it's not how the Kindle works ... at least that's what my swabbie daughter-in-law tells me. But yes, if the system you use allows for downloading to your own device you should definitely do that ... assuming there's no "phone home" feature embed that could make the file useless in the future (see DIVX epic failure from late 1990s).

You can download all the books you purchased. I do. I have "physical" file for each book on my computer.

I don't know how it works with movies, i prefer to stick to physial media, dispite lack of space.

I think this happens if you leave everything in the cloud.

FremenDar007 wrote 5 years ago: 2

Regarding Movies and TV Shows, I heavily prefer physical media and gladly sell the Digital Copy Codes so I can buy even more physical media. Only bummer is when the Digital Copy code has expired which means no extra money for the next TV show or movie on physical formats. I tend to up the price of the code when it's from a TV show since there's more content and if it also includes an iTunes version since I don't care for it. Better when boxsets for various movies has a code for each movie to sell compared to an all-in-one thing.

I honestly don't mind torrenting a Season of a TV show as it broadcasts, since it removes commercials, when I know I'm going to buy said Season down the line on Blu-ray disc or DVD when the price is reasonable to me. Just recently did this for Westworld: Season 1 and Stranger Things: Season 2, both on Blu-ray disc. Bought the physical and then deleted the Season files on a drive.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

Just buy a normal book... much more worth it.

whispurr wrote 5 years ago: 1

I agree with Thomas - buy the hard copy book. The biggest issue I have with the digital versions is moving them between devices - the authentication, verification and the clicks to go through to use a book legally purchased but want to move from a computer to an iPad or iPhone. The worst experience I had with buying digital was when I bought a book from Borders and then when it went out of business, I could no longer read it. I had a new computer and could no longer verify the purchase. I was furious - so I bought the hard copy.

Try 30 days of free premium.