Try 30 days of free premium.

Main cast archive footage

TDCT wrote 5 years ago: 1

So I just listed Lizzy Greene as appearing as Sophie Dixon in A Million Little Things 1x07.

She only appeared in a sequence when Maggie was remembering her times with the other characters, so that is archive footage.

However, she was credited in the episode (like every other main cast member in every episodes, even the ones they don't appear in).

So should the appearance be listed on this site or not ?

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

TDCT wrote:
So I just listed Lizzy Greene as appearing as Sophie Dixon in A Million Little Things 1x07.

She only appeared in a sequence when Maggie was remembering her times with the other characters, so that is archive footage.

However, she was credited in the episode (like every other main cast member in every episodes, even the ones they don't appear in).

So should the appearance be listed on this site or not ?

If I understand you correctly, the footage she was in, was already shown in episodes prior to it. Then she should not be listed.

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

Just curious, https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/16/episode-extras does not discuss "Credit Only" for guest cast ... which is kinda odd ... when would someone be a guest star with a credit only and not actually be in the show?

I can see "Credit Only" for the above situation when a cast member gets the opening credit but doesn't appear, or appears in a flashback/archive footage scenario.

... or am I missing something?

SilverSurfer wrote:
Just curious, https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/16/episode-extras does not discuss "Credit Only" for guest cast ... which is kinda odd ... when would someone be a guest star with a credit only and not actually be in the show?

I can see "Credit Only" for the above situation when a cast member gets the opening credit but doesn't appear, or appears in a flashback/archive footage scenario.

... or am I missing something?

There are some rare instances where a guest star was credited but not in the show, don't ask me why tho :P

JuanArango wrote:
There are some rare instances where a guest star was credited but not in the show, don't ask me why tho :P

What about the case of Ms Greene above ... if TVmaze hands out "Credit Only" credits, I think she should get credit for a "Credit Only" credit :)

PS: I dare you to use "credit", legitimately, more often in a sentence than I just did.

SilverSurfer wrote:
What about the case of Ms Greene above ... if TVmaze hands out "Credit Only" credits, I think she should get credit for a "Credit Only" credit :)

PS: I dare you to use "credit", legitimately, more often in a sentence than I just did.

haha, yes you can go for credit only then!

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 1

SilverSurfer wrote:

That will mean a lot of back info though, there's very few shows with episode-specific opening credits based on who actually appears in the episode, most just list off all of the main cast regardless if they're featured in the episode or not which seems to be the case with archive footage. It would mean going back for other shows and putting credit only in the guest cast even for main cast members... unless there could be some addition to the cast appearances like additional check boxes for credit only or voice only instances.

kevin87 wrote:
unless there could be some addition to the cast appearances like additional check boxes for credit only or voice only instances.

I don't think this would be a bad idea. There are enough cases, IMO, that would justify a 'credit only' for main cast as well as 'voice only'.

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Using "Credit Only" for main cast members is a bad idea, because those appearances would be listed as a guest cast, and you would have actor starring in ep. 1, 3 and 5, and guest starring in ep. 2 and 4, for example. Which is not accurate and misleading.

tnt wrote:
Using "Credit Only" for main cast members is a bad idea, because those appearances would be listed as a guest cast, and you would have actor starring in ep. 1, 3 and 5, and guest starring in ep. 2 and 4, for example. Which is not accurate and misleading.

This is actually correct, the credit only should only be used for guest cast, sorry for the confusion.

tnt wrote:

Not if regular cast were amended to also have a sub-category of "Credit Only" just like guest cast has. This would keep guest vs regular separate and keep TVmaze in sync with the actual onscreen credits we appear to be ignoring. The show gives them a credit but we refuse to recognize said credit?

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Fun fact: despite the name "cast appearance," the meaning in the policy is different.
Cast Appearances on the Episode level can be used to indicate in which exact episodes the cast member was credited.

It doesn't say "appeared," so maybe we were just getting it wrong all the time? :D

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 1

SilverSurfer wrote:
Not if regular cast were amended to also have a sub-category of "Credit Only" just like guest cast has. This would keep guest vs regular separate and keep TVmaze in sync with the actual onscreen credits we appear to be ignoring. The show gives them a credit but we refuse to recognize said credit?

Though to be fair, the section is "cast appearance" and not "cast credit," so I've rethought my comment on that. It would throw off the appearance count for the characters since the site seems to be more character based, not actor based. I do still think we should have a way to add voice only for main cast though.

TDCT wrote 5 years ago: 1

So yeah, her appearance in 1x07 was a memory of a scene in 1x04

A guest cast member can be credited without his/her character appearing if the only scene he/she appeared in was cut from the episode (Eve Harlow in one episode of The 100 Season 2, I don't remember which)

I agree that a "voice only" option for main cast members would be useful, we are already using it for guest cast members so why would main cast members ? I'm talking about different options in the cast appearance pages instead of the check boxes, that way the actor would still be listed as a main cast member...

However since in almost every show the main cast members are credited in all the episodes of the season (even when they don't appear), I don't think a Credit Only option would be smart. In some shows with a lot of seasons, the number of appearances would grow from 60 to 90 or something like that, and that's a big gap

Maybe we could solve the archive footage problem by creating another option ? That way the appearance is listed but not as a "common" appearance ?

Try 30 days of free premium.