Try 30 days of free premium.

Quibi shutting down; selling content and technology assets

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

This was very quick ))

https://quibi-hq.medium.com/an-open-letter-from-quibi-8af6b415377f

And yet, Quibi is not succeeding. Likely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasn’t strong enough to justify a standalone streaming service or because of our timing.

I've subscribed for a trial period and some shows were fun to watch, but after a while, I preferred to wait for the whole season to be released, and then binge-watch it. So the idea of basically splitting the movie into 10-12 parts was not strong enough indeed, not for me at least.

Apparently, it means the end of all renewed shows.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
This was very quick ))

https://quibi-hq.medium.com/an-open-letter-from-quibi-8af6b415377f

I've subscribed for a trial period and some shows were fun to watch, but after a while, I preferred to wait for the whole season to be released, and then binge-watch it. So the idea of basically splitting the movie into 10-12 parts was not strong enough indeed, not for me at least.

Apparently, it means the end of all renewed shows.

that is a pity :(

@JuanArango wrote:
that is a pity :(

Yeah, the guys really tried. But I've heard that they initially got about 2 billion in investments, and 6 months later the whole thing is worth less than 350M. 

@tnt wrote:
Yeah, the guys really tried. But I've heard that they initially got about 2 billion in investments, and 6 months later the whole thing is worth less than 350M. 

that is insane, you should think with 2 billions you could make some stuff happening, but then again there are so many streaming services already.

@JuanArango wrote:
that is insane, you should think with 2 billions you could make some stuff happening, but then again there are so many streaming services already.

I thought that with the whole pandemic lockdown thing the people would consume any new content like crazy. I think the problem is that they couldn't make it global, because outside the Americas the number of streaming services is much smaller.

@tnt wrote:
I thought that with the whole pandemic lockdown thing the people would consume any new content like crazy. I think the problem is that they couldn't make it global, because outside the Americas the number of streaming services is much smaller.

yes, that is true.

kevin87 wrote 3 years ago: 1

The biggest issue is probably nobody wants to watch stuff solely on their phone. That's why I didn't subscribe. I'm sure anything popular enough could probably get repackaged into longer episodes and move to the streaming service of their production studio, like Mapleworth Murders could probably take the 3 parts and put them together and move to Peacock, etc etc. Or perhaps keep them as they are, but future ones won't be so short.

@kevin87 wrote:
The biggest issue is probably nobody wants to watch stuff solely on their phone. That's why I didn't subscribe. I'm sure anything popular enough could probably get repackaged into longer episodes and move to the streaming service of their production studio, like Mapleworth Murders could probably take the 3 parts and put them together and move to Peacock, etc etc. Or perhaps keep them as they are, but future ones won't be so short.

They've recently added the ability to stream content to Apple TV and Chromecast, but probably a bit too late.

kevin87 wrote 3 years ago: 2

@tnt wrote:
They've recently added the ability to stream content to Apple TV and Chromecast, but probably a bit too late.

They originally considered having a smart tv/streaming device app at launch as well, but then decided to just be on the phone. Had they done that from the start, it might've helped them.

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 4

i mean, besides 1 or 2 shows, was it really worth it? no.

they did manage to bring some nice names to their shows. and maybe im an old fart, but phones for me are for phone calls ( mind blown i know :p ) 

SilverSurfer wrote 3 years ago: 0

@tnt wrote:

Who ran the company, Trump? :)

Try 30 days of free premium.