Try 30 days of free premium.

Gender Option additional language needed

dpratt wrote 2 years ago: 0

I noticed that the policy was recently updated to:

The gender for this person. If their gender is not known or not applicable, the field should be left empty. If their gender is known, but is neither (exclusively) male or female, it should be set to "other".

My suggestion is to add the following language. Many performers such as RuPaul Charles who may use different pronouns when performing always identify as one gender while not on stage. So it would be inappropriate to use "other" here. Such people should be identified as their off-stage gender identity. (For example in RuPaul's case that would be male since he identifies as a gay man when he is not performing on stage.)

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 2

@dpratt wrote:
I noticed that the policy was recently updated to:

My suggestion is to add the following language. Many performers such as RuPaul Charles who may use different pronouns when performing always identify as one gender while not on stage. So it would be inappropriate to use "other" here. Such people should be identified as their off-stage gender identity. (For example in RuPaul's case that would be male since he identifies as a gay man when he is not performing on stage.)

RuPaul is already correctly gendered as a man. 

dpratt wrote 2 years ago: 0

The policy says "If their gender is known, but is neither (exclusively) male nor female, it should be set to other."

So where does that leave people who perform as a different gender than their every day gender identity such as RuPaul? He and other drag queens are female when performing but they definitely should not be categorized as "other"

He is not added as other. He identifies as male. It doesn't matter who a person performs as, if they are coming out as non binary or somewhere else on the spectrum of gender that is when other is used. A 21 year old could perform  the role of a 14 year old, we wouldn't suddenly change their date of birth. 

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 3

@dpratt wrote:
The policy says "If their gender is known, but is neither (exclusively) male nor female, it should be set to other."

So where does that leave people who perform as a different gender than their every day gender identity such as RuPaul? He and other drag queens are female when performing but they definitely should not be categorized as "other"

It leaves them exactly where they want to be left.
If such person publicly identifies themselves as non-binary and asking to be called "they", we use the "other" gender for them.
If such person prefers a specific gender identification, e.g. Eddie Izzard or Elliot Page, we use that gender for them.
If such a person claims to be indifferent to which gender-specific pronouns are used to refer to them, like RuPaul, we use the gender which corresponds with this person's biological sex.

I think it's simple enough.

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 1

@dpratt wrote:
What if it's someone who uses he/him pronouns but identifies as non-binary? https://twitter.com/thatonequeen (he only uses she/her when performing in drag)

I any situation where you not sure what to do, refer to the policy.

If their gender is known, but is neither (exclusively) male or female, it should be set to "other".

Or you can always ask in the forums.

To be honest we should have stuck with just 2 sexes. This non-binary nonsense is just a fad ffs

You're free to express your opinions, but gladly it's not for you to decide.

dpratt wrote 2 years ago: -1

How is RuPaul any different from Caldwell Tidicue? They both identify as female when performing and male when off stage. Neither of them identify as other but that's what you want to put for Caldwell Tidicue because he put non-binary in his twitter bio? Non-binary in this context means that he's both male (off stage) and female (performing)

That's why I made the above suggestion to edit that policy

@dpratt wrote:
How is RuPaul any different from Caldwell Tidicue? They both identify as female when performing and male when off stage. Neither of them identify as other but that's what you want to put for Caldwell Tidicue because he put non-binary in his twitter bio? Non-binary in this context means that he's both male (off stage) and female (performing)

No that isn't what that means at all. Caldwell doesnt dictate what non-binary means. 

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 2

@dpratt wrote:
How is RuPaul any different from Caldwell Tidicue?

Because RuPaul specifically said that he doesn't care how he is called, hence listing him according to his biological sex won't be incorrect per his own words.
I don't know if Caldwell ever said something like that. I personally probably would be inclined to list him as male, but since it would be incorrect in about half of his appearances, I absolutely don't mind him being listed as "other".

Somehow you're the only person in the whole TVmaze community who has continuous problems with understanding the policy and not only on this matter. It is as clear as it could be. There's no such thing as "off-stage gender identity". If we're back to RuPaul, or Izzard, they're both appeared equally as male and as female on various public events beyond the scope of the stage or TV performances. And how they are identifying themselves in their private life is none of our concern.
If it is so hard for you to understand, or follow, or just agree with the TVmaze policy, maybe you'll just refrain from editing certain data which you found controversial? If you think something should be fixed or otherwise dealt with, you can always bring it to the higher staff's attention instead of starting edit wars with other users.
BTW, I'm still waiting for your answer on the other topic.

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 1

Caldwell has said they are non binary. They then list they would prefer the pronouns he/him she/her rather then they/them. We have no way of listing pronouns right now, we can however accurately list them as non binary which is what we have done and the additional 'other' gender allows. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Caldwell has said they are non binary. They then list they would prefer the pronouns he/him she/her rather then they/them. We have no way of listing pronouns right now, we can however accurately list them as non binary which is what we have done and the additional 'other' gender allows. 

Thank you. This is the point I'm making. He says he prefers he/him over they/them. He also identifies as a man who dresses in drag hence the name Bob the Drag Queen. Indeed he also has non-binary written in his bio but non-binary doesn't necessarily mean other. It just means not conforming to gender norms.

@dpratt wrote:
Thank you. This is the point I'm making. He says he prefers he/him over they/them. He also identifies as a man who dresses in drag hence the name Bob the Drag Queen. Indeed he also has non-binary written in his bio but non-binary doesn't necessarily mean other. It just means not conforming to gender norms.

Do you have evidence of them saying they'd rather use he/him just the only thing I can find is that they don't like they/them but he/him or she/her, nothing about whether they performing as Bob or not. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Do you have evidence of them saying they'd rather use he/him just the only thing I can find is that they don't like they/them but he/him or she/her, nothing about whether they performing as Bob or not. 

Yes he appeared on A Little Late with Lilly Singh and he states that he uses he/him pronouns except when he's performing in drag and then he's a she/her. I'm paraphrasing.

@dpratt wrote:
Yes he appeared on A Little Late with Lilly Singh and he states that he uses he/him pronouns except when he's performing in drag and then he's a she/her. I'm paraphrasing.

https://youtu.be/wJbMzKK28Mc

Not one mention of gender in the whole segment. 

He talks about having male pattern baldness (male)

He talks about being Lilly's drag mom (female)

I paraphrased incorrectly though so that's my bad. I may have had him confused with RuPaul. Nevertheless his Twitter bio says he uses he/him and she/her not they/them pronouns. He considers himself non-binary but that just means not conforming to gender norms. It doesn't mean he doesn't identify as male as his biological gender. In fact pronouns he/him imply that he does.

@dpratt wrote:
He talks about having male pattern baldness (male)

He talks about being Lilly's drag mom (female)

I paraphrased incorrectly though so that's my bad. I may have had him confused with RuPaul. Nevertheless his Twitter bio says he uses he/him and she/her not they/them pronouns. He considers himself non-binary but that just means not conforming to gender norms. It doesn't mean he doesn't identify as male as his biological gender. In fact pronouns he/him imply that he does.

Sorry but nothing you are saying makes any sense at all. That's beyond paraphrasing. We have already brought the tweet up a number of times in which they state they want to use he/him she/her pronouns. We cannot display that information here and so what we have is correct as they have said they are non binary. 

I don't understand why RuPaul keeps been brought up, I don't believe he's ever references his pronouns and we've ever had a debate over his gender. 

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 3

Everything has been said here, no need to go in circles :)

Try 30 days of free premium.