Try 30 days of free premium.

Knight Rider reboot seems to be a sequel, no?

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

We have original Knight Rider here... https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/825/knight-rider

And we have Knight Rider from 2008 here... https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/451/knight-rider

The 2008 series are marked as "Reboot" but aren't they direct sequel to the original Knight Rider?
In the pilot episode there is David Hasselhof who plays the same character from the original which indicates this is some sort of continuation.

Also, while wikipedia isn't really a trustworthy source, they mention this under Knight Rider (2008) TV film (which was pilot to the 2008 TV series)... ***Knight Rider is a 2008 television film which was created to serve as a backdoor pilot for the new Knight Rider television series, and aired on February 17, 2008. The serves as a direct sequel to the original series and ignores the Knight Rider 2000 film and the Team Knight Rider television series.***

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
We have original Knight Rider here... https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/825/knight-rider

And we have Knight Rider from 2008 here... https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/451/knight-rider

The 2008 series are marked as "Reboot" but aren't they direct sequel to the original Knight Rider?
In the pilot episode there is David Hasselhof who plays the same character from the original which indicates this is some sort of continuation.

Also, while wikipedia isn't really a trustworthy source, they mention this under Knight Rider (2008) TV film (which was pilot to the 2008 TV series)... ***Knight Rider is a 2008 television film which was created to serve as a backdoor pilot for the new Knight Rider television series, and aired on February 17, 2008. The serves as a direct sequel to the original series and ignores the Knight Rider 2000 film and the Team Knight Rider television series.***

Im confused as to what the issue is here. Are you suggesting the two shows need merging? I would assume that it was added seperate as thats how the network announced it. 

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

No, I thought the connection on the new one should be changed from "Reboot" to "Sequel", but perhaps we don't have "Sequel" option. In such case, it should probably be changed to "Franchise" because if one show is continuation on another, then it is not a reboot of it.

I found this as the definition of "Reboot"...

The term "reboot" signifies a new start to an established fictional universe, work, or series. A reboot discardscontinuity to re-create its characters, plotlines and backstory from the beginning.

...which backs up what I think when I hear the word, meaning the series are imagined anew and can be entirely different in premise or characters. In the definition above it says that reboot discard continuity, meaning that sequel to something already established and without changes on the established elements is not a reboot. And seeing how Knight Rider (2008) tv series continue after the original Knight Rider series and have even the main character appearing in the new pilot as his original character and seeing KITT car now being passed on a new team, I don't think the relationship here is correctly marked when it says "Reboot". I wonder why we don't have "Sequel / Continuation" option, but it should at least be "Franchise" since it technically happens in the same universe as the original series, just some time later (kind of like STTNG comes after original Star Trek, and STTNG isn't a Reboot since it continues on established universe and everything in original ST series happened in the past of STTNG universe).

TomSouthwell wrote 2 years ago: 1

We are currently discussing show relationships amongst senior staff members, so we will take your suggestion on board as part of that discussion. @david @LadyShelley 

LadyShelley wrote 2 years ago: 1

Reading this it sounds like the relationship needs to be changed to Franchise. 

Try 30 days of free premium.