Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

solar wrote 14 days ago: 1

In Maryland  as  to  ' mom ' ...   going off  to  Isle of Man for  8  years ,  finding  her  birth mother , getting her house after she died   ,  establishing a whole lot of friendships on the island .  To be not  having an  affair  leaves a lot of explaining to do as to why so secret.   .  That is ,  a lot of questions that will never be answered  now.   Suranne  Jones  is a co-creator of this series as well as one of the producers  .  She likes working  behind  the scenes ,  did the same in Scott & Bailey  .  

BritMystery wrote 11 days ago: 1

I watched the second episode of "Maryland" ... it was a highly emotional episode... the sisters are carrying a huge amount of baggage and although I understand their total confusion as to their mother's life, to me, it was all too drawn out - on and on we went with their respective personal issues, but we got very little answers regarding their mother's story. 

Yes, we now know she committed suicide, presumably because she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, yet nobody seemed to know anything regarding her state of mind at this point in her life. Her Isle of Man friends seem as confused by it all as her daughters are (and they knew about the diagnosis). 

I am starting to not buy that her husband was totally in the dark regarding his wife and all of this. He knew something - how much I don't know, but he is acting almost too detached about her death and it is not just grief that is going on here. I get the feeling that he doesn't want his family to know how much he actually knew.

Hopefully we get a fuller picture next episode.

I started watching "Guilt", but didn't get too far - will finish it tonight.

BritMystery wrote 9 days ago: 1

Caught up with "Guilt" ...oh boy, what a mess things are at the moment and only one more episode to go! I am starting to feel that things may not go as well for Max in his plan to get back on top as I had thought. Just the fact that his brother and mother from hell are commiserating over whiskey (and unfortunately plotting) gives me great pause. Wouldn't it be something if it was Jake who came out on top and wound up calling the shots. 

I just realized that there is only one more episode of "Maryland" as well to wrap that story up. They are really going to have to pack this last one with info if we are ever going to get some answers as to what was truly going on.

solar wrote 8 days ago: 1

Yeah  Brit......  you're  right about Guilt ...   a   mess indeed.  Max's  plan with  Teddy seems  gone  now with  the  Evil Drug  Queen  showing  Teddy the roof with  his father and a couple of thugs  on it ,  giving him the suggestion of how easy it is  to fall off  if he doesn't  do her bidding  and get rid of  Max.  Must say ,  my focus is off Max and him getting on top again  but on the Evil  Drug Queen    and seeing her get taken  down .  Don't know if it will happen  but  Sunday should  clear it up. 

As for Maryland  ,  suicides  leave unanswered  questions  , don't know if  we are gonna get any answers ,  just an acceptance  at  best . 

appara wrote 8 days ago: 1

I have been busy of late, so many things going on in the fringes of my life. I am going to watch Guilt as a marathon, there's usually a plot within a plot and my brain just into unwinding all those strings.

I did keep up with Maryland, and I admit I still don't like either of the daughters. I agree with Brit that her husband is more involved than has been shown so far. Did Cathy nudge her into taking the 'easy' way out? She seems a little too sugarysweet. How they are going to wrap this up? I have no idea! 

29th anniversary on Monday, (plus the 10 that we lived in sin, so maybe I should reward myself with a little extra tv time!!

BritMystery wrote 8 days ago: 1

Happy Anniversary to you and the Hubs! You certainly deserve extra TV time (and a delicious cake). An extra big piece! 

Yea, I find neither sister likeable. As we continue with the story I am losing any sympathy I initially had for them dealing with this situation. Not an easy one understandably, but their Mother's death (and other life) has become more about them individually than her loss.

I want some answers at this point... I am hoping that we get some of the strings of the Mother's life tied together, but realize Solar is right, we may never even get half the picture (much less the full one) given the circumstances of her death.

solar wrote 4 days ago: 1

Just the fact that his brother and mother from hell are commiserating over whiskey (and unfortunately plotting) gives me great pause. Wouldn't it be something if it was Jake who came out on top and wound up calling the shots. 

Ya  nailed it  Brit  ..  lol   ...   Max  left  standin'  with his mouth open  looking like he'd been hit by a train .   Maggie  Drug  Queen  being lead  away in  cuffs  and  Jake     walkin' out of  the grave yard a  rich  man  .   Assume  mum  will get some of that money as well .   Mums a tough old  bird ,  lookin' at the blood on the wall didn't bother her a bit .   Now,  Maryland  ,  need ta watch that again . 

deedee713 wrote 3 days ago: 1

(spoiler?)

solar, an interesting review on Den of Geek about the Mummy the Black Widow visiting Alec at his house. Conversely, we see Alec fishing peacefully in the water, thank goodness. Nice ending.

solar wrote 2 days ago: 1

Den of Geek  ,  that's a new one  for  me  dee  ..  will have ta go to it regularly ta see what's goin' on. 

Don't know what ta think about the  finale of Maryland .  Didn't seem ta be much happening.  Old  ' pa '  went home in a huff because the girls  decided to respect their mothers wishes and be buried on the island.  The girls decided to work on their  ' new '  relationship  and the same questions remain unanswered  ..  suicides  do that .    What's   next  ?     lol   

appara wrote 2 days ago: 1

Soler, as soon as I read Max and Jake I knew I should stop reading - but I didn't!  I think I will make time this weekend to binge all the episodes of Guilt! 

We have been under a rain cloud for the past few weeks - not that I'm complaining. Our neighbors to the northwest in Fort McMurray were evacuated out of their homes again due to wildfire, quite a few of them ended up here, as hotels and campsites closer to their homes filled up. The evacuation order was lifted over the May long weekend, but with having no snow to speak of over this past winter, it's still really dry.....So bring on the rain!! 

For me, coming up on PBS is Grantchester, but not for a couple more weeks! Until then I have a few more episodes of Ms. Fisher modern mysteries to fill in some time. Still no start date for Moonflower.

deedee713 wrote a day ago: 1

solar, I'm an impatient type - I have to read the reviews and especially details about the finale of any show before I watch it! I know, silly sod, right?

I liked the finale of Maryland, and for me and Suranne, that's saying a lot!

Hi appara.....there is a new vicar in Grantchester, is there not? So a new vicar in Grantchester, and a new DI in DIP. At least the formulae are comforting, and won't annoy me. As I'm sure Miss Scarlet sans a Duke will. I'm holding out hope for Moonflower Murders, since Atticus Pünd is back.

solar wrote 16 hours ago: 1

Yeah  dee  ...  reading  reviews is  not  a bad  strategy  ...  Ya know what's comin' and  how it fits the story .  Currently  watching  The Crown ( Netflix )  AGAIN  and  enjoying it  very much.  Yes ,  Atticus  Pund   ..  will  savor  that .  Happy   Memorial  Day   weekend  .

appara   ...  do  hope  your summer  is better than  last  year  as far as these wildfires go.  They just seem impossible to stop  once they get raging.  Will watch Grantchester  but have not become attached  to it like other shows ....  something about this  clergy / detective thing. 

Try 30 days of free premium.