Try 30 days of free premium.

Writer's Strike?

Magitroopa wrote a year ago: 2

With the writer's strike now officially ongoing, thought it would be a good idea to ask: how exactly do we handle that here? For example, we currently list the typical late night shows having new episodes tonight, despite most of them now being shut down.

Do we leave them up until a rerun/something else is airing at the supposed time? Remove certain episodes as the days continue on? Something else I haven't thought of?...

I think that would be the main impact the writer's strike will have on TVmaze specifically- unless there's other stuff I'm not thinking of that will be affected too?

Magitroopa wrote a year ago: 1

@WalkingTall I see that you deleted episodes off of late night shows- FYI, The Daily Show is also affected by the strike as well (unfortunately, I just created a whole bunch of new episodes the other day...)

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 2

Episodes that are not airing because of the writer's strike need to be deleted. :)

@JuanArango wrote:
Episodes that are not airing because of the writer's strike need to be deleted. :)

Could The Daily Show be fixed up then? Not sure if all the upcoming episodes need to be deleted at once or if it should be taken as a day-by-day basis, but tonight's episode is clearly not happening.

WalkingTall wrote a year ago: 2

It's a military radio response meaning yes sir or ma'am.    

@WalkingTall wrote:
It's a military radio response meaning yes sir or ma'am.    

That would probably explain why I didn't know it then :P

I'll also just say that doing this on a day-by-day basis will lead to incorrect numbering (such as on TDS now that tonight's episode has been deleted, it now skips over 53), I'd say that given the circumstances, we can probably ignore the numbering for the time being and clean it up whenever episodes resume again.

jcar03 wrote a year ago: 1

SNL is also dark so no Pete Davidson episode this week.  https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/saturday-night-live-writers-strike-goes-dark-1235601371/

CosmicHowl wrote a year ago: 1

@Magitroopa wrote:
That would probably explain why I didn't know it then :P

I'll also just say that doing this on a day-by-day basis will lead to incorrect numbering (such as on TDS now that tonight's episode has been deleted, it now skips over 53), I'd say that given the circumstances, we can probably ignore the numbering for the time being and clean it up whenever episodes resume again.

All episodes have been deleted. The last writers strike lasted 14 weeks, hopefully this one won't be as long :)

LadyShelley wrote a year ago: 2

@CosmicHowl wrote:
All episodes have been deleted. The last writers strike lasted 14 weeks, hopefully this one won't be as long :)

If it does last that long, you can expect the fall television season to be delayed. Fall episodes start filming in August so episodes need to be ready to go by early July for productions to have time to secure locations and such. 

Also remember SAG-AFTRA and the DGA are right behind the WGA to negotiate their next contracts and they are asking for some of the same things (recomputation of residuals for streaming being one example) 

suemac wrote a year ago: 1

Came across several comments elsewhere about the strike going long. Today 5/8 a NYT article includes the following snippets: 

One analyst speculated that the writers’ strike could go on long enough to effect the Emmy Awards, scheduled for Sept. 18, and delay the fall TV season.
The writers and entertainment companies remain far apart on several key issues, including money, and the standoff could last for months.

Specific shows mentioned in the article already affected (to unknown degree) are:

Apple TV+: Still, Loot, Severance
Showtime: Billions
Netflix: Stranger Things
HBO Max: Hacks

suemac wrote 11 months ago: 1

@LadyShelley wrote:
These sorts of articles are interesting, but not anything we can really add here as soo many shows are listed in these briefs. 

Right. I should have preferenced it something like "if any one is interested". Didn't mean for article to be added. Thanks.

suemac wrote 11 months ago: 1

Related:  Monday 6/5/2023, SAG-AFTRA authorized a strike: "TV, film and radio actors and other performers voted to authorize a strike Monday night, bringing their union one step closer to joining a month-long walkout by Hollywood writers, which would dramatically escalate the U.S. entertainment industry’s labor crisis. ....But SAG-AFTRA won’t resort to a strike just yet. The union’s leaders hope that simply having the authority to call onewill put pressure on production companies and studios, represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), as the two sides negotiate to renew their contract before itexpires on June 30."

Found on WAPO here (paywalled I assume)  https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2023/06/05/sag-aftra-strike-authorization-vote/    but surely this is all over the place. Also here and elsewhere:  "The Directors Guild of America (DGA) announced late Saturday (6/3/23) that it had reached a tentative agreement with Hollywood producers on a new deal, which addresses industry fears over artificial intelligence concerns and wage increases. "

suemac wrote 10 months ago: 1

June 14 Deadline updated their list.  https://deadline.com/feature/writers-strike-tv-shows-affected-cobra-kai-yellowjackets-abbott-elementary-1235354256/   Then 6/18 : 'Metropolis' Not Going Forward  (Deadline 6/18/23)    The big-budget UCP series for Apple TV+, which had been prepping in Australia, has permanently shut down. The crew was just notified that the ambitious project will not move forward with production, which had been targeting a summer start. (tvm entry already modified). 

SAG-AFTRA still in negotiations; rumblings of talks extending past June 30th contract expiration deadline.

JuanArango wrote 10 months ago: 2

@suemac wrote:
June 14 Deadline updated their list.  https://deadline.com/feature/writers-strike-tv-shows-affected-cobra-kai-yellowjackets-abbott-elementary-1235354256/   Then 6/18 : 'Metropolis' Not Going Forward  (Deadline 6/18/23)    The big-budget UCP series for Apple TV+, which had been prepping in Australia, has permanently shut down. The crew was just notified that the ambitious project will not move forward with production, which had been targeting a summer start. (tvm entry already modified). 

SAG-AFTRA still in negotiations; rumblings of talks extending past June 30th contract expiration deadline.

CostaDax scheduled it for deletion :)

suemac wrote 10 months ago: 1

June 30, 2023  Screen Actors Guild Extends Negotiation Deadline With AMPTP, Staving Off Strike https://tvline.com/news/actors-strike-update-sag-aftra-negotiations-extended-amptp-1235007825/          Some snippets:  The extension allows the two sides to continue negotiating until midnight PT on Wednesday, July 12, giving them less than two weeks to reach a deal.  The WGA, meanwhile, has been on strike since May 2, following months of unsuccessful negotiations with the AMPTP. As a result of the writers strike, production on many TV shows and films were forced to a halt. With the actors now also poised to strike, even more productions will inevitably shut down.

Deadline: TV Shows Affected By WGA Strike: 1923, Metropolis, Little Sky, The Penguin, Daredevil: Born Again & More – Updated List https://tinyurl.com/deadline620

Try 30 days of free premium.