Try 30 days of free premium.

Please remove, this was not a series it was a 1-Episode only made for TV Movie?

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

momijigari wrote:
Here are two examples of press releases referring to it as a pilot:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/08/26/syfy-pilot-three-inches-casts-james-marsters-andrea-martin-stephanie-jacobsen-more/61110/
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/three-inches/

As there are other pilots where a series was never ordered available here at TVmaze, it should not be removed.

I think David will have to make a final call on this one? I believe his answer will be if it is only 1 episode pilot or not it cannot be here and then he will ask you to provide the names of those other ones you claim you have found so he can have them removed as well. This is because the site only allows a series of 2 or more episodes to allow it to be on the site.

I could be wrong but I believe that is what he decided 2 months ago when he had to make a decision on a few other made for TV movies as well?

momijigari wrote:
http://www.tvmaze.com/threads/569/confusion-about-what-shows-can-and-cant-be-added
Unless david has changed his mind in the last 6 days, it is allowed.

Based on his new statement that you pointed out to me that I had never seen before now I have asked him to clarify his statement even more because of this case we are discussing here?

david wrote:
Let me clarify, while we wait for the complete policy documents to be finished.
If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but it was cancelled after the first episode has aired, it can be added.
If it was the intention to air more than one episode, but no episode ever aired, it can't be added.
FYI Juan, it's possible to approve requests after they were requested, it's not neccessary to request them again. Ping me about it and I'll show you :)

If 1 episode is aired but it cannot be confirmed that it originally aired as a pilot and it becomes a Made for TV Movie where does this fall? Especially if solid proof cannot be found anywhere on the Internet in writing that it was intended as a Pilot and not a Made for TV Movie only?

I hope he does not regret making that new statement which contradicts what he had said 2 months ago because it is wide open for different interpretations. For example that would mean ANY & ALL Made for TV Movies could then be added because there would be no way to prove it was not made to become an official pilot hopeing the viewership was large enough to warrant them making more?

Also there are Made for TV Movies that may never have originally been intended to be more than that but because their viewership was way higher than originally anticipated it became a series. I have seen this happen on several occasions some a year later and even a few as much as 2 years later.

Also you have Made for TV Movies that seem to go on forever with a new one made to extend the main story every year "Jesse Stone" I think is the name of one with Tom Selleck and "Good Witch" is another. As far as "Good Witch" they made 9 or 10 Made for TV Movies every single year for almost 10 years and now it has become a regular series.

In other words he might as well say ALL Made for TV Movies are not eligible to be added to the site because they could be considered pilot episodes or there is no way to disprove that they are not TV pilots therefore they must be allowed?

Lastly I would like to add I am NOT trying to start a Flame War and I am not trying to be argumentative I am just trying to make a point to get some better clairity around the policy is all. I would like to see it remain and all others like it but only if David says it is allowed?

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

Three Inches wasn't made as a Made for TV movie. Several sources at the time said that it was intended as a pilot, but Syfy chose Alphas instead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-beefs-u...

"Among the half-hour comedy entries in development..."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-picks-t...

"Syfy has greenlighted a pilot that puts a spin on the traditional superhero genre and seeks to continue growing its "Battlestar Galactica" empire."

Whether TVMaze is listing pilots that are "blown off" as standalone movies because they didn't get the greenlight for series, would have to be determined by staff. My impression was that David had given the okay for it.

I suppose the other question is, is there some official proof that it was only intended as a Made for TV movie? IMDb only lists it as a TV movie since they have no way to list one-shot pilot airings otherwise. They list Mockingbird Lane as a TV movie, but it was a one-hour "episode" that NBC specifically said at the time was a pilot.

And IMDB isn't an official source in any case.

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

"According to your own source, the episode was a failed pilot.

"Filmed as a pilot for a potential TV show on SyFy but the show never happened."

So when you ask, "If 1 episode is aired but it cannot be confirmed that it originally aired as a pilot and it becomes a Made for TV Movie where does this fall? Especially if solid proof cannot be found anywhere on the Internet in writing that it was intended as a Pilot and not a Made for TV Movie only?" it seems like a moot point. Because you confirmed that there's somewhere on the Internet in writing that it was intended as a Pilot.

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

According to the press release it was pilot for a show that was not ordered and "replaced" by Alphas, so it is allowed to stay here :)

cheers
Juan

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

Shows that are definitely allowed to add for now.

Explicitly allowed are:

- Regular TV shows; with a season of two or more episode
- Shows in development that have the intention of releasing at least 2 episodes/parts
- Shows that were cancelled immediately after the pilot has aired
- Mini-series with at least two parts
- Yearly returning award shows or televised events
- Sports footage airing in a regular format and timeslot; such as WWE Friday Night Smackdown

Tonks wrote 8 years ago: 1

ThomasNL wrote:
- Shows in development that have the intention of releasing at least 2 episodes/parts

So you're saying you will not add all the shows that are in actual development ? The ones ordered to pilot ?

That term "development" is going to be confusing the hell out of people. You'd need a better term. Completed, production finished, something else. I've said it a few times but development can't be used in that way, not in proper english anyways. There is a good thing in using correct terms. Just for the sake of any language, whether ti's english, french or whatever. Anyone should aspire to it, ibecause it closes the door to any debate and that term will open a discussion every time.

Tonks wrote:
So you're saying you will not add all the shows that are in actual development ? The ones ordered to pilot ?
That term "development" is going to be confusing the hell out of people. You'd need a better term. Completed, production finished, something else. I've said it a few times but development can't be used in that way, not in proper english anyways. There is a good thing in using correct terms. Just for the sake of any language, whether ti's english, french or whatever. Anyone should aspire to it, ibecause it closes the door to any debate and that term will open a discussion every time.

Tonks,

It is not that hard to be honest

If a show ín development with the intention to air more than one episode, it could be added to our database, however if this series has been canceled before even airing one of their episode, we will remove it from our database. If the series has aired the pilot (but meant for more), but has been canceled afterwards, we can keep it in our database.

Thomas, it's not that it is hard FOR ME, it's just going to be debated every single time. Because most people will understand development as in a show not in production.

I don't get why you would close the door to shows in actual development but it's your prerogative.

And deleting a show just because it got cancelled before airing, well, let me tell you what will happen. You will have NBC cancelling a bunch of shows before air and then go back on their decisions and you will have to recreate them if you have no trace in your DB.. That's been happening a lot lately and that doesn't account for the fact that most of these shows may have been in production already and will air elsewhere. Us & Them, the remake of gavin & stacey, is such an example ... It didn't air on FOX, but it aired pretty all around the world... Same goes for bitch in apart. 23. That's why airdate is such a bad control for shows...

And it's not limited to national network in the US, all of the networks have done that at some point...

Let's talk about Crime, the james gandolfini show. Ordered to series, Gandolfini dies, it's limbo for like nearly a year with HBO still mulling over going forward. In essence it's cancelled. Same goes for the Philip Seymour hoffman, the show was entirely scrapped and went back to pilot. What do you do in these instances ? Since you don't do pilots, then by your own rule, this show should be deleted.. See, that's the problem with the policy in place. Cause those are in "development" not "in production".

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

If you read the policy, our definition of "In Development" is really simple: a show is considered in development until the Pilot is aired/released.

Adding shows that are In Development is fine, otherwise the option wouldn't be there. The only criteria is that it's an actual show, e.g. the intention is to create additional episodes if the Pilot is picked up. It's there as a guard against made for TV movies.

david wrote:
If you read the policy, our definition of "In Development" is really simple: a show is considered in development until the Pilot is aired/released.
Adding shows that are In Development is fine, otherwise the option wouldn't be there. The only criteria is that it's an actual show, e.g. the intention is to create additional episodes if the Pilot is picked up. It's there as a guard against made for TV movies.

So you're saying pilots greenlit whether they are then ordered to series falls within the category ?

Tonks wrote:
So you're saying pilots greenlit whether they are then ordered to series falls within the category ?

Not sure what you're asking exactly..

Tonks wrote:

I know Amazon.com is well-known for that to air a pilot and let their customers decide whether it should continue or not. In case you are referring to this, those series have the intentions to be more than just a pilot and may be added to our database.

ThomasNL wrote:
I know Amazon.com is well-known for that to air a pilot and let their customers decide whether it should continue or not. In case you are referring to this, those series have the intentions to be more than just a pilot and may be added to our database.

No i'm not talking about these. Amazon has its own editorial policy. Amazon should not be used an example at all, not for the time being anyways.

I'm talking about the pilots that are being greenlit throughout the year. About 100 for national networks during pilot season, and of course less for cable networks. See this is why this is going to be a topic that will always be opened to discussion or least people will be asking again and again. David's reply seems to suggest those would be added because these are in actual development. I'm not saying it's waht he meant but this is how this be construed.

Yes, actual TV shows that are still in development may be added. What has been written or said that makes you think otherwise?

david wrote:
Yes, actual TV shows that are still in development may be added. What has been written or said that makes you think otherwise?

The fact that you're having discussion about Three inches or Borealis, both developped as pilots and not picked up to series, even though you added them because they're two parters though 70 minutes is not a two parter (per se) but just a longer pilot which is very common for Syfy or USA (for example).

Try 30 days of free premium.