Try 30 days of free premium.

Bulk marking error 503

Cecile wrote 7 years ago: 1

Hello,

I'm working on a script to bulk mark status on every episodes of a show or one particular season and I have an issue : the script is basically taken all chosen episodes and mark them one by one to the chosen status (unwatched, watched, acquired or skipped) with ajax.

But after few change, I got an error 503. I guess it the server consider it's too many request in a short time.

Is there a special delay I should wait between 2 request ?

Thanks!

MichaelDeBoey wrote 7 years ago: 1

I think this question fits better in the API section of the forum :-)

For the answer on this question we need to wait for David or Jan to answer this :-)

david wrote 7 years ago: 1

I actually moved this thread away from the API forums, as it has nothing to do with the API at all.

In fact, the API actually has very lenient rate limiting, but the site itself is more limited to prevent attacks and abuse. And rightfully so, because the system you're describing (sending a separate AJAX request for up to hundreds of episodes simultaneously) would be pretty harmful, so please don't try. :)

Cecile wrote 7 years ago: 1

Ok, thanks for the answer, I drop my script then :)

ras44ecs wrote 5 years ago: 1

This string is the closest I could find...

While marking watched episodes in bulk is great on occasion, marking acquired episodes would be even more useful. I mostly d/l entire seasons or get DVDs so being able to mark a whole season at once as acquired would be really great. It sounds like Cecile was working on this but, that was 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the improvements you've made over the years.

Bob on the Couch

Cecile wrote 5 years ago: 1

ras44ecs wrote:
This string is the closest I could find...

While marking watched episodes in bulk is great on occasion, marking acquired episodes would be even more useful. I mostly d/l entire seasons or get DVDs so being able to mark a whole season at once as acquired would be really great. It sounds like Cecile was working on this but, that was 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the improvements you've made over the years.

Bob on the Couch

Yes, but like david said it shoudn't be transmit, I kept it only for myself.

Like everyone, let's wait for an official way to do it.

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

We have a design proposal for this type of functionality and its been progressing gradually towards it. Some day it will come. For now just show your interest by voting on it. ;)

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

Of course you're free to create (and distribute) a user script that works on top of the user-level API.

gazza911 wrote:
I suggest you vote for the official Pending Feature: Watchlist bulk tools

Thanks gazza, I just did. I'll know now where to find pending features also.

Jan wrote:
We have a design proposal for this type of functionality and its been progressing gradually towards it. Some day it will come. For now just show your interest by voting on it. ;)

I saw gazza911's suggestion and did just that. I now know where to look for pending features and will check that first and will look there first from now on. The suggestions link was what I clicked and it brought up a list of old articles so that's how I ended up with this thread. Thanks for responding.

david wrote:
Of course you're free to create (and distribute) a user script that works on top of the user-level API.

Thanks for responding David. If I had that capability I certainly would. Unfortunately, creating a forum post is among my greatest technological accomplishments. A 3 button mouse is totally beyond my comprehension. I, therefore, have abundant appreciation for those who possess the knowledge, the artistry, and the generosity to produce websites such as this. Thank you all.

Alex2k wrote 5 years ago: 1

What about script that change status (with jQuery AJAX), but make next request in the success handler of AJAX request (and maybe retry request on fail) ? It would be slow (ish), but should be not taxing on site as it's essentially as fast as manually changing statuses.

I made for myself user script that add 4 additional buttons to episode list (and watch list as it is essentially reverse episode list). Each button work as "mark previous as watched" (in show's watch list), but additional buttons set statuses unwatched, acquired and skipped (and watched in episodes list). Real usefulness stem from fact that show's watch list is reversed. For example to mark several seasons as skipped i go to show's watch list and press button "mark all previous episodes as skipped" on last episode that i want to skip. Next, i want mark next season as acquired, so i press button "mark all previous episodes as acquired" on last episode i want to mark as acquired. Now, status skipped i consider higher priority than acquired and watched. That means, that episodes mark as skipped i will not bulk mark. Last essential button is "mark all previous episodes as unwatched". This is tricky and should not used by general public because people will use it mostly incorrectly and loose their watched episodes. Right way would be marking first and last episode of the range, maybe in additional dialog.

Unfortunately, changes of episodes list broke my user script. It could be fixed, but look ugly and besides i used it only handful of times.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

Alex2k wrote:
What about script that change status (with jQuery AJAX), but make next request in the success handler of AJAX request (and maybe retry request on fail) ? It would be slow (ish), but should be not taxing on site as it's essentially as fast as manually changing statuses.

You'd only be able to share it if you're using the Premium User API to mark the status of each episode as that is specifically designed for updating a user's episode status.

Alex2k wrote 5 years ago: 1

gazza911 wrote:
You'd only be able to share it if you're using the Premium User API to mark the status of each episode as that is specifically designed for updating a user's episode status.

Not planning on sharing script. Just giving interested people some working ideas.

Try 30 days of free premium.