Try 30 days of free premium.

TBD

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

As this gets lost in the EDIT Thread I moved it here.

gazza911wrote 20 hours ago:

SilverSurfer wrote:
Just want o be sure I'm not off-base here. The show Take Two has been canceled by ABC but is currently in talks with two streamers about picking up a second season. I think the show status should be TBD and moved to ended or running depending on the outcome of the talks. Others think it should be ended and changed back to running if it gets picked up. My reasoning is if the show still has a chance at future episodes/seasons it is not ended but is TBD.

What is the preferred TVmaze method to handle shows that have been canceled but are being shopped and/or in talks with other broadcasters for future seasons? TiA

TBD isn't often used as networks don't usually give information if they're still deciding and eventually the interest just dies out.

If the part about the talks with others is true and not simply rumors that we can't verify, then it seems worthwhile setting it to TBD.

If there's no more news on it after a while then we normally set it to Ended.

kevin87wrote 4 hours ago:

SilverSurfer wrote:
Just want o be sure I'm not off-base here. The show Take Two has been canceled by ABC but is currently in talks with two streamers about picking up a second season. I think the show status should be TBD and moved to ended or running depending on the outcome of the talks. Others think it should be ended and changed back to running if it gets picked up. My reasoning is if the show still has a chance at future episodes/seasons it is not ended but is TBD.

What is the preferred TVmaze method to handle shows that have been canceled but are being shopped and/or in talks with other broadcasters for future seasons? TiA

Personally I feel like if it's still set to ABC, and ABC has cancelled it, we should leave it as ended because while they may be shopping the show around, it is still cancelled in the meantime. Once it gets picked up somewhere else, we would change status when the network is changed.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

We can use this thread here to gather people's opinion on the To Be Determined status and help determine what should be done with the status (no pun intended).

Some people think it shouldn't exist, others think we should keep it and set rules to prevent a show from being TBD for too long.

I'm of the opinion that as long as there is active acknowledgement (proof) that there's ongoing decisions/talks we can keep it TBD. Having a set time limit (no more news for X amount of time) will prevent something being TBD indefinitely.

Additionally, I think for shows that haven't officially been cancelled, but there's been no official news about it for Y amount of time should also be set to Ended.

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

I'm with Kevin on this. For the cases like Take Two (Lucifer, Designated Survivor, Expanse etc.) as long as the show is set to the network which cancelled it, the status should be "Ended" because it's...well...ended it's run on this network. If the show picked up by another network, the show will be set as "Running" on this new network.

And save TBD for the cases when show is neither cancelled nor renewed yet. I like the idea of limited time for TBD, but it should be long enough, like a year or something. Sometimes it takes months for the networks to make a decision.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
And save TBD for the cases when show is neither cancelled nor renewed yet. I like the idea of limited time for TBD, but it should be long enough, like a year or something. Sometimes it takes months for the networks to make a decision.

To use TBD for a limited time would work for European/American series, but it would not work for the majority of Asian shows. Most of the times those series are only ordered for one season (and considered to be ended afterwards) until the network itself may decide to order a second season (which could be happening like a year or two years later).

To be honest, I'd rather have TBD removed and only use ''In Development, Running & Ending as status.

Thomas wrote:
To use TBD for a limited time would work for European/American series, but it would not work for the majority of Asian shows. Most of the times those series are only ordered for one season (and considered to be ended afterwards) until the network itself may decide to order a second season (which could be happening like a year or two years later).

To be honest, I'd rather have TBD removed and only use ''In Development, Running & Ending as status.

Why use TBD for those series if they're considered to be ended?

But setting the show as "Ended" before it's cancelled or "Running" if it's not renewed yet is inaccurate and misleading. Those are exactly the cases where the status of the show is not determined yet.

The idea of time limit was to prevent the series to be considered TBD for years. We have many stale shows now, which was not updated for 2-3 years (because there's nothing to update), so they could be set as "Ended" automatically.

tnt wrote:
Why use TBD for those series if they're considered to be ended?

But setting the show as "Ended" before it's cancelled or "Running" if it's not renewed yet is inaccurate and misleading. Those are exactly the cases where the status of the show is not determined yet.

The idea of time limit was to prevent the series to be considered TBD for years. We have many stale shows now, which was not updated for 2-3 years (because there's nothing to update), so they could be set as "Ended" automatically.

I think this is a good idea!

JuanArango wrote:
I think this is a good idea!

Kudos to gazza :D

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:

Heck, there's plenty of Running shows which have not been updated in 2-3 years, and either there are no episodes listed or the last ones are listed 2-3 years ago.

Take a look at the Stale Shows list. There's over 35 pages, 50 shows per page, there. Who the heck wants to work on 1500 shows? Clearly there aren't many people, because they're still there.

https://www.tvmaze.com/dataentry/staleshows

Shouldn't they be auto-changed to Ended if no new episodes have aired in 2+ years? Or deleted if there are no episodes? If this can't be automated, some kind of tool to deal with them expediently would be nice. Or if there is one, it isn't readily apparent.

Gadfly wrote:
Heck, there's plenty of Running shows which have not been updated in 2-3 years, and either there are no episodes listed or the last ones are listed 2-3 years ago.

Take a look at the Stale Shows list. There's over 35 pages, 50 shows per page, there. Who the heck wants to work on 1500 shows? Clearly there aren't many people, because they're still there.

Shouldn't they be auto-changed to Ended if no new episodes have aired in 2+ years? Or deleted if there are no episodes? If this can't be automated, some kind of tool to deal with them expediently would be nice. Or if there is one, it isn't readily apparent.

yes, auto update after some time would be really cool.

Gadfly wrote:

If you'll look close enough you'll see, that I gave the same link in my previous answer.

Apparently it's not so easy with the "Running" shows.

The last episode of True Detective, for example, aired in August 2015. That's 3+ years ago. The show was stale for almost 3 years, because there was no information about season 3, apart that it will be released sometime in the future. I'm sure there are some shows out there with the same fate.

Anyways, why are you asking me? Ask gazza, it was his idea.

Personally I'm in favor of deleting any show which have 0 episodes and 0 followers and added more than a 18 months ago.

tnt wrote:

Personally I'm in favor of deleting any show which have 0 episodes and 0 followers and added more than a 18 months ago.

This is something to think about, will bring this up to david and jan in the chat.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

The thread was initially for the To Be Determined status.

Setting to Ended after X time was to ensure that a show in limbo doesn't stay as TBD if we're never going to hear about it again (the time is arbritary).

This is only meant to deal with this scenario; we could think about separate cleanup for shows with 0 episodes (i.e those In Development for too long).

P.S. The suggestion of using time since last episode aired to determine it was actually david's idea, I just re-iterated it here ;)

gazza911 wrote:
The thread was initially for the To Be Determined status.

Setting to Ended after X time was to ensure that a show in limbo doesn't stay as TBD if we're never going to hear about it again (the time is arbritary).

This is only meant to deal with this scenario; we could think about separate cleanup for shows with 0 episodes (i.e those In Development for too long).

P.S. The suggestion of using time since last episode aired to determine it was actually david's idea, I just re-iterated it here ;)

If this will be implemented it could work for other statuses too. "Running" or "In development" shows with no activity for some predetermined period of time could be changed to TBD, and then processed by the same rules as any other TBD show.

dpratt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Maybe the right way to deal with this is to automate everything. Maybe you could do something like the following:

If a show has not yet aired any episodes, automatically set it to in development.

If a show has premiered but also has episodes that have not yet aired, automatically set it to running.

If a season has aired the full Episode Order, and a new season has been created, automatically set it to returning.

If a season has aired the full Episode Order, and no new season has been created, automatically set it to TBD.

After a set period of time passes, and no new season has been created, automatically set TBD series to ended.

Allow users to manually set shows status to ended in the event that cancellation has been announced.

Automatically set ended series back to returning when a new season is created.

dpratt wrote:
If a season has aired the full Episode Order, and no new season has been created, automatically set it to TBD.

What if the episode order is unknown?

For example: episode order is unknown, show on hiatus, return date is not announced yet. How would the system know, which status to set?

But generally I like the idea of maximum automation :)

dpratt wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
What if the episode order is unknown?

If Episode Order is left blank, take no action. Just leave it set as running.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

dpratt wrote:
If Episode Order is left blank, take no action. Just leave it set as running.

It is a nice idea, however it would not work I think as 90% of our contributors never insert this information to a series. Just a select few.

Try 30 days of free premium.