Try 30 days of free premium.

400 Bad Request - Gallery image upload

Hanii wrote 5 years ago: 1

Uploading a gallery image sometimes results in 400 nginx error.

I assume the image was too large as it was a 1.4MB PNG image but this should be communicated rather than serving a HTTP error.

I converted the image to a smaller file size jpg and it uploaded fine.

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

I won't swear to it but I thought I've added images larger than that ... via URL though, not via uploads from my PC.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

I've just checked, when the image is too large you'll get "413 Request Entity Too Large".

Possibly your browser didn't properly communicate the length of what you were going to upload.

Have you tried uploading the original image again?

Rickiesgal wrote 5 years ago: 1

Actually I just realized that I've been getting the same error with png files. size doesn't seem to be a factor. I've found that refreshing the page from the error page usually completes the upload. using firefox if that helps....

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Rickiesgal wrote:
Actually I just realized that I've been getting the same error with png files. size doesn't seem to be a factor. I've found that refreshing the page from the error page usually completes the upload. using firefox if that helps....

Maybe this is caused by the conversion process? PNG are being converted to JPG upon upload. I catch the same error sometimes, and I'm capturing snapshots in PNG.

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

Yeah, there is definitely no limit for 1.4MB uploads.

Do you get this error consistently if you try to re-upload the same image file? If so, please see if you can link me to it or upload it somewhere else, so I can check it out.

It doesn't seem to be the format as I can upload 720p PNG files all day long, but as soon as I try a 1080p PNG file it throws me a 400.
Retrying the same file or resending the request does not work.

If I convert the file to JPG it works, hence why I assumed the size was the factor.

The files are snapshots taken with VLC.

Here is an example which is failing to upload for me (I re-downloaded the file and confirmed it still fails just in case imgur did some compression or changes that made the image work).
https://i.imgur.com/mErT4Hu.png (DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, Episode 10 btw)

I am using Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Hanii wrote:
It doesn't seem to be the format as I can upload 720p PNG files all day long, but as soon as I try a 1080p PNG file it throws me a 400.
Retrying the same file or resending the request does not work.

If I convert the file to JPG it works, hence why I assumed the size was the factor.

The files are snapshots taken with VLC.

Here is an example which is failing to upload for me (I re-downloaded the file and confirmed it still fails just in case imgur did some compression or changes that made the image work).
https://i.imgur.com/mErT4Hu.png

I am using Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

Worked just fine for me in Chrome 70, no issues. So the file itself is not problematic.

As a workaround you could just set VLC to save snapshots as JPG.

Huh, it works fine for me as well, on Firefox 63. What OS/plugins do you use?

david wrote:
Huh, it works fine for me as well, on Firefox 63. What OS/plugins do you use?

Hmm good shout, so I disabled all my extensions and it worked. Narrowed it down to the Honey extension which automatically applies coupon codes for you while shopping??? No idea why that was interfering :/

Anyway, I now have uploaded three of the same screenshots here which I can't remove.

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

Firefox 63.0.3 64 bit Win7

System just spat out first attempt at a reply so, short version here. Tried to upload the image a number of times, mostly got the 400 error with one success. Disabled Adblock Plus and it worked but a second attempt failed. Enabled Adblock Plus and disabled NoScript and I had 4 of 4 successful uploads.

Make of that what you will ...

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Hanii wrote:
Hmm good shout, so I disabled all my extensions and it worked. Narrowed it down to the Honey extension which automatically applies coupon codes for you while shopping??? No idea why that was interfering :/

Anyway, I now have uploaded three of the same screenshots here which I can't remove.

Someone already took care of it.

Closing this because it appeared to be caused by a client error. If anyone encounters similar problems in the future, please open a new thread.

Try 30 days of free premium.