Try 30 days of free premium.

You're the worst 1-hour Season premiere, is it two episodes or one?

dpratt wrote 6 years ago: 1

When it aired on television, they combined everything into one episode. Even the credits were combined into one, without any Part 1 or Part 2 mentioned.

However when it was posted online the next day, they posted it as 2 separate episodes with separate credits for each.

It's my impression we go with the television broadcast and not the web site.

momijigari wrote 6 years ago: 1

dpratt wrote:
When it aired on television, they combined everything into one episode. Even the credits were combined into one, without any Part 1 or Part 2 mentioned.

However when it was posted online the next day, they posted it as 2 separate episodes with separate credits for each.

It's my impression we go with the television broadcast and not the web site.

This has been discussed (and decided upon) already in the Edit Requests thread ~7 days ago.

I am opening up for discussion again and I would like to hear from an admin on this because it aired on television as a continuous episode, not as a two part episode. That should take precedence over the fact that it was listed on the web site as a two part episode.

deleted wrote 6 years ago: 1

No point of discussion... tv network gets priority. We have this discussed so often, so no need to open another new thread. Just look it up in search next time.

JuanArango wrote 6 years ago: 1

Thomas wrote:
No point of discussion... tv network gets priority. We have this discussed so often, so no need to open another new thread. Just look it up in search next time.

There is no need for such an unfriendly reply here Thomas.

Do you mean tv network = how it aired or how it is listed on the website?

Gadfly wrote 6 years ago: 1

I think Thomas' point was that the data policies seem pretty clear.

http://www.tvmaze.com/faq/13/shows

"A web channel is used when a show did not premiere on a TV network"

Since the data policy differentiates between web channels (and their postings of what they're airing) and TV networks, presumably when Thomas referred to a TV network, he was making the same distinction the site already does. Which is what he said. :)

The question is really, what did the OP want to discuss? Was the original entry in error? That appears to be the case.

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/2790/the-good-place/episodes

So an error was made by whoever did it, and it should be fixed. And the original poster informed of the policy if they haven't been already. I don't think we need to open up a discussion every time someone makes an error about the policies. As I believe you've said, Juan, we fix the error and move on. :)

But isn't the question that the official website lists it as two episodes in their episode guide? (I cannot access FX from outside the US)

I had already fixed the error. And then last week someone unfixed it again. That's why I opened this thread. I want to make sure we're all on the same page.

Juan, if you were able to access FX's web site you would see that it lists the premiere twice. Sn 4 Ep 1: It's Been - Part 1 and Sn 4 Ep 2: It's Been - Part 2. You would also be able to watch the episodes where you would see each episode has its own credits that are different from one another.

But that's not how it aired on American television. It aired as a single continuous one-hour episode with no distinction anywhere between Parts 1 and 2, not even in the credits. And it's my understanding that the TV airing should take precedence. Therefore it should not be listed as a two-part episode. It should be listed as a single episode.

JuanArango wrote:
There is no need for such an unfriendly reply here Thomas.

Do you mean tv network = how it aired or how it is listed on the website?

What is unfriendly about it? Scanning around our forum to find answers, before blindly opening a new thread would be more preferred.

This matter has been discussed many times with similar cases in which two episode did broadcast on tv as one single continuous episode, while the official page did list it as two seperate episodes. During these discussions, pretty much everyone agreed to list it as one episode.... so why didn't you raise your worries back then?

And it is not helping to constantly question this matter per show as a head contrib. (which you do quite frequently), while our policy is clear about it and no discussion is necessary. By doing this, many users will be confused too!

well i have fixed it now myself.

Thomas wrote:
well i have fixed it now myself.

well , good work, still I found your reply a bit unfriendly :)

JuanArango wrote:
But isn't the question that the official website lists it as two episodes in their episode guide? (I cannot access FX from outside the US)

The question is presumably, what does the policy say.

So... what does the policy say?

If it's not clear enough, do we need to word it to be clearer?

gazza911 wrote 6 years ago: 1

From The Episode Policy:

In some cases, there might be multiple sources that conflict with each other. When that happens, they should be considered in the following order:

1. Data shown on-screen during the episode's announcement, intro, or credits

2. Data in a press release or press kit

3. Data on the show's official website

4. Data in TV guides/TV listings/EPG's for the show's country

5. Statements by show crew in articles / interviews

Seems clear enough to me

RaveDave wrote 6 years ago: 1

Going by the site policy it should be listed as one episode, but IMO this is the one policy on this site that should be changed. FXX has ordered 13 episodes of You're the Worst for season 4, but on TVmaze it will now be listed as 12 which is inaccurate, IMO if there are separate production numbers for these 'back to back' episodes they should be listed as two episodes no matter if there is only one title block used.

RaveDave wrote:
Going by the site policy it should be listed as one episode, but IMO this is the one policy on this site that should be changed. FXX has ordered 13 episodes of You're the Worst for season 4, but on TVmaze it will now be listed as 12 which is inaccurate, IMO if there are separate production numbers for these 'back to back' episodes they should be listed as two episodes no matter if there is only one title block used.

Your point is definitely worth discussing, will talk with david and jan about this.

RaveDave wrote:

Except the site policy says that the #1 priority is how the episode aired, as cited above. Including "or credits". As the OP originally noted, it originally aired as a single one-hour episode.

So is your reasoning that the production codes are the final say on the "credits", even if the title block credits say there was one episode? And what did the production codes in the credits of the episode say?

It's an issue that plagues a lot of sites, going back years. Sometimes a network will air what was originally a single double-length "episode" as a two-parter later to fit their "standard" length timeslot. Sometimes they break it down on their website as in this case. Sometimes they'll break it down on the DVD release. A lot of times the changes are retroactive.

But there are people on the other side who think it should go the other way, and that it's "inaccurate" if you don't list it the way it aired. I've heard from them, too. :) And back and forth it goes.

I think what RaveDave is saying is that he thinks that the policy should be changed so that when an episode has two or more production numbers discovered by web searches and so on, it should be listed as just as many episodes, regardless of how it airs. Personally I disagree with this but I think that's what he is saying.

RaveDave wrote 6 years ago: 1

dpratt wrote:
I think what RaveDave is saying is that he thinks that the policy should be changed so that when an episode has two or more production numbers discovered by web searches and so on, it should be listed as just as many episodes, regardless of how it airs. Personally I disagree with this but I think that's what he is saying.

Thats exactly what i am saying, as i said in my post the current rules are clear; You're the Worst should be listed as one episode. I am just saying that IMO the policy should be looked at, as it seems strange to me that you can have a network which has aired a show for a number of seasons announce that the next episode is the 100th episode of the show but TVmaze will be basically saying "I'm sorry, your wrong its actually 98 episodes because there were a couple of the 'back to back' episodes over the shows run and they are only single episodes not doubles".

As far as the order of the episodes policy, it seems a bit strange that if you take the case of Youre The Worst, the first ranking criteria works out as a single episode, the second works out at two episodes, the third works out at two episodes, the fourth i am unsure of and the fifth works out at two episodes, you can realistically have a situation were the first ranking crieria is the only criteria that sets the status of an episode as being one thing and the other four ranking criteria totally disagree.

RaveDave wrote:
Thats exactly what i am saying, as i said in my post the current rules are clear; You're the Worst should be listed as one episode. I am just saying that IMO the policy should be looked at, as it seems strange to me that you can have a network which has aired a show for a number of seasons announce that the next episode is the 100th episode of the show but TVmaze will be basically saying "I'm sorry, your wrong its actually 98 episodes because there were a couple of the 'back to back' episodes over the shows run and they are only single episodes not doubles".

As far as the order of the episodes policy, it seems a bit strange that if you take the case of Youre The Worst, the first ranking criteria works out as a single episode, the second works out at two episodes, the third works out at two episodes, the fourth i am unsure of and the fifth works out at two episodes, you can realistically have a situation were the first ranking crieria is the only criteria that sets the status of an episode as being one thing and the other four ranking criteria totally disagree.

Yep, I understood what you meant. Like I said, it's a long-standing problem. :(

But if the network does the episode count based on counting the back-to-back episodes as 1 instead of 2, TVMaze would be off, too. Then we'd have TVMaze basically saying, "I'm sorry, you're wrong, it's actually 102 episodes because there were a couple of 'back to back' episodes over the shows run and they are only double episodes, not singles.

Basically, TVMaze is going to be wrong no matter which it uses, because there's no consistency between every network. I understand that you're saying TVMaze will be wrong in certain instances given the current criteria. But TVMaze would be wrong somewhere if they changed the criteria to what you suggest, too.

Try 30 days of free premium.