Try 30 days of free premium.

BBC Wales drama series

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

kevin87 wrote:
I only watched the English version... but S4C surprisingly doesn't block the US from watching, and I happen to have a trial for Acorn TV at the moment so I compared the first episode. The credits are largely the same except for non-name words being in Welsh ("Y Barnwr" in Welsh and "Judge" in English) but looks like one character is played by a different actor in each language, and English has a credit not in the Welsh version.

English - Keeping Faith

Welsh - Un Bore Mercher

this will be a tough discussion I think, but if both versions actually have different actors, I would say we also need to add both versions of the show.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
this will be a tough discussion I think, but if both versions actually have different actors, I would say we also need to add both versions of the show.

I can compare season 1 credits between both languages tomorrow while my week trial for Acorn TV is still valid.

Took longer than expected... but I got all the cast and crew credits and compared them. The one big difference is that Betsan Llwyd plays Delyth Lloyd in Un Bore Mercher while Suzanne Packer is playing the same character in Keeping Faith. There are also 9 instances where somebody is in an episode of Keeping Faith but not in Un Bore Mercher. They also tend to use the same crew, but will be credited differently between the languages, here's a few of those:

For Un Bore Mercher, Kevin Jones is credited for episode 1-4, 6, 8, Caroline Lynch-Blosse for 1-3 and 7-8, Wendi Rowlands for 4-6, Mike Hopkins for 5 and 7. On Keeping Faith it's slightly different, Kevin Jones 1-2, 4, 6, 8), Wendi Rowlands for episode 6, Mike Hopkins for 3, 5, 7 with Caroline Lynch-Blosse not being used at all on the English side of the production. And for production supervisor (which is called goruchwyliwr ôl-gynhyrchu, translated to post-production supervisor in English) for KF it's Jackie Vance for all 8 episode, but Un Bore Mercher is John Myers for episode 1-4 and Jackie Vance for episodes 3-8. Script clearance for Keeping Faith is Sarah Hughes for all 8 episodes, but Un Bore Mercher only has that job listed for 3-8. There's also a job title that only exists in the Welsh version and doesn't appear in the English credits at all: addasiad i’r gymraeg which comes out to adjustment or adaptation to Welsh, or "conversation to Welsh" when you translate the whole phrase.

kevin87 wrote:
Took longer than expected... but I got all the cast and crew credits and compared them. The one big difference is that Betsan Llwyd plays Delyth Lloyd in Un Bore Mercher while Suzanne Packer is playing the same character in Keeping Faith. There are also 9 instances where somebody is in an episode of Keeping Faith but not in Un Bore Mercher. They also tend to use the same crew, but will be credited differently between the languages, here's a few of those:

For Un Bore Mercher, Kevin Jones is credited for episode 1-4, 6, 8, Caroline Lynch-Blosse for 1-3 and 7-8, Wendi Rowlands for 4-6, Mike Hopkins for 5 and 7. On Keeping Faith it's slightly different, Kevin Jones 1-2, 4, 6, 8), Wendi Rowlands for episode 6, Mike Hopkins for 3, 5, 7 with Caroline Lynch-Blosse not being used at all on the English side of the production. And for production supervisor (which is called goruchwyliwr ôl-gynhyrchu, translated to post-production supervisor in English) for KF it's Jackie Vance for all 8 episode, but Un Bore Mercher is John Myers for episode 1-4 and Jackie Vance for episodes 3-8. Script clearance for Keeping Faith is Sarah Hughes for all 8 episodes, but Un Bore Mercher only has that job listed for 3-8. There's also a job title that only exists in the Welsh version and doesn't appear in the English credits at all: addasiad i’r gymraeg which comes out to adjustment or adaptation to Welsh, or "conversation to Welsh" when you translate the whole phrase.

If no one else is against it, I would say you can add it as its own series.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
If no one else is against it, I would say you can add it as its own series.

IMO in this case Kevin's research should be included (briefly) in the edit wiki, so the people would understand what it takes to separate two versions of bilingual shows.

I created Keeping Faith and put the basic info in and can dig into adding crew and cast later for both shows. I left the AKA and relation section blank, not sure how those should be handled.

tnt wrote:
IMO in this case Kevin's research should be included (briefly) in the edit wiki, so the people would understand what it takes to separate two versions of bilingual shows.

yes, good idea!

kevin87 wrote:
I created Keeping Faith and put the basic info in and can dig into adding crew and cast later for both shows. I left the AKA and relation section blank, not sure how those should be handled.

I think AKA is ok for both names, but none of the existing relations would fit this situation, so probably no relationship, it'll be only confusing. Maybe the show's summaries should say something about them being the same show shot in different languages?

tnt wrote:
I think AKA is ok for both names, but none of the existing relations would fit this situation, so probably no relationship, it'll be only confusing. Maybe the show's summaries should say something about them being the same show shot in different languages?

I added an explanation in the summary for Keeping Faith, but can't do a wiki. Should we explain the situation in Un Bore Mercher, or just leave it since if anything, Keeping Faith would be the one in question?

kevin87 wrote:
I added an explanation in the summary for Keeping Faith, but can't do a wiki. Should we explain the situation in Un Bore Mercher, or just leave it since if anything, Keeping Faith would be the one in question?

I think the explanation is a bit detailed for the show summary :) I copied it to both show's wiki, and there it works well IMO, but maybe you could shorten the summary part now to something simple, that could fit both shows? Thanks :)

tnt wrote:
I think the explanation is a bit detailed for the show summary :) I copied it to both show's wiki, and there it works well IMO, but maybe you could shorten the summary part now to something simple, that could fit both shows? Thanks :)

I shortened it some, maybe that's better. lol

I can start the UBM credits later today, should I use a translator to change the non-name characters or just keep them in Welsh? For example, the credits for 107 say "Bownsar" which translate to Bouncer in English, but the English credits have that particular one as "Doorman."

kevin87 wrote:
I shortened it some, maybe that's better. lol

I can start the UBM credits later today, should I use a translator to change the non-name characters or just keep them in Welsh? For example, the credits for 107 say "Bownsar" which translate to Bouncer in English, but the English credits have that particular one as "Doorman."

I'd leave them in Welsh, because that's how the actors are credited on-screen.

TonyMayhew wrote 4 years ago: 1

So, I just now noticed we have the English version set to BBC One Wales. The regional BBC networks are generally only used for regional shows.

The English version of Keeping Faith will air on all the various BBC One regions at the same time, so I think we should set it to the generic BBC One, not BBC One Wales.

TonyMayhew wrote:
So, I just now noticed we have the English version set to BBC One Wales. The regional BBC networks are generally only used for regional shows.

The English version of Keeping Faith will air on all the various BBC One regions at the same time, so I think we should set it to the generic BBC One, not BBC One Wales.

yes, done :)

Try 30 days of free premium.