Try 30 days of free premium.

Recaps on homepage.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

I've been seeing some recaps in the new section regarding news, blogs and columns, but should we really list recap of episodes there too? I'd rather not.

Gadfly has been adding some like https://www.tvmaze.com/recaps/3243/marvels-iron-fist-a-duel-of-iron-recap. Good job to him for doing so, but are recaps that important to be listed on our homepage within Latest Blogs, Articles and News?

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

+1 on that, I'd rather see more news. Especially considering that usually both reviews and recaps are for exactly the same episodes, being released in some mysterious sync :D

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

I didn't even notice the recap blips until browsing the news one day. I do about one a day, so they cycle through pretty quickly anyway.

I don't care whether they're listed or not. They weren't before the redesign, and if they go back to not listed, NBD. There are six news adverts and 2 recap advers below them.

You'd have to ask David/Jan/'whoever why they added them to the front page. It wasn't anything I asked for. I imagine part of it is SEO; at least the recap blips link to the shows. The majority of news articles that are show specific... don't link to shows? I'd rather see them link to shows, or links be put in.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

I am fine with the recaps being on the front page, recaps are unique things and make us look good :)

JuanArango wrote:
I am fine with the recaps being on the front page, recaps are unique things and make us look good :)

Which is the reason I figured that they were put there. :) But again, you'd have to ask the front page designer(s) why they put them there for a definitive answer.

I do the recaps, and sometimes for older shows, because of the site's mission statement: "Everyone at TVmaze works together with the goal of providing the most accurate, comprehensive and intuitive TV Guide on the Internet." Recaps are presumably part of the whole "comprehensive" thing. I'm sure plenty of people aren't interested in them. I'm not particularly interested in news. But news, and reviews, and recaps, are all part of the "comprehensive" thing. The recap section was here before I got to TVMaze, and recaps are part of every comprehensive TV sites that I've seen.

The "sync" isn't particularly mysterious. No one has asked, but my stepfather does the reviewing. I'm not a reviewer. So we both watch the show, I do the recap, and then he gets on our one computer and writes the review an hour or so later. I believe he explained our relation to Jan when Jan approached him to write reviews. I'd have to ask him what people have asked him from his side, but has someone PM'd him and asked, and he's been mysterious about it? Regardless, he doesn't review everything I recap: I'm working on recapping a couple of older episodes right now and as far as I know of, he has no intention of reviewing them.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:
Which is the reason I figured that they were put there. :) But again, you'd have to ask the front page designer(s) why they put them there for a definitive answer.

I do the recaps, and sometimes for older shows, because of the site's mission statement: "Everyone at TVmaze works together with the goal of providing the most accurate, comprehensive and intuitive TV Guide on the Internet." Recaps are presumably part of the whole "comprehensive" thing. I'm sure plenty of people aren't interested in them. I'm not particularly interested in news. But news, and reviews, and recaps, are all part of the "comprehensive" thing. The recap section was here before I got to TVMaze, and recaps are part of every comprehensive TV sites that I've seen.

The "sync" isn't particularly mysterious. No one has asked, but my stepfather does the reviewing. I'm not a reviewer. So we both watch the show, I do the recap, and then he gets on our one computer and writes the review an hour or so later. I believe he explained our relation to Jan when Jan approached him to write reviews. I'd have to ask him what people have asked him from his side, but has someone PM'd him and asked, and he's been mysterious about it? Regardless, he doesn't review everything I recap: I'm working on recapping a couple of older episodes right now and as far as I know of, he has no intention of reviewing them.

that sounds good to me, I think tnt thought you also do the reviews, anyways, reviews and recaps are a very valuable thing to have :)

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

Whether those recaps are valuable or not, was not my point. Of course they are nice to have, but I only question whether they should be shown in the ''Latest Blogs, Articles and News?'' on the front page?

It is not really a blog, article nor news. Recaps are even full of spoilers, which is a very dangerous thing to have on our front page.

I think tnt is more likely referring to a possibility that a review and recap could be shown on the main page about the exact same time of the exact same episode..... A bit overkill, wouldn't you think so?

Let's not dwell of and turn it into a discussion whether a recap is valuable or not.... it is.

I would think that the value of them determines whether they are put on the front page or not. And the spoilers in the recaps are not on the front page. If we're going to ban anything linking from the front page to a spoiler, that would be... pretty much everything, wouldn't it? For instance, revealing Lois Lane is going to be in the CW this season is a spoiler.

Note that I don't have any concern about spoilers, only that some people do. and they all seem to have different definitions of what a "spoiler" is. ;)

Whether the front page designer thinks that a recap is "Blogs, Articles and News" is something they'd have to answer. Presumably either they do, or they don't care.

Since not all recaps of episodes are reviewed, I wouldn't call it "overkill", no. Anymore than I would call a review of an episode, and a news piece on the article, to be "overkill" if they appeared on the front page at the same time.

The issue was posted as a suggestion in a discussion forum, so... we're discussing. :)

"Let's not dwell of and turn it into a discussion whether a recap is valuable or not.... it is."

Your first post asked, "but are recaps that important...?". If we're discussing "relative" importance ("Are they important enough to put links to the two most recent on the front page?"), we're going to have to discuss importance in general. If it's merely a matter of mislabeling, either change the label or remove them. That doesn't require any discussion, much less public discussion.

I think the best solution would be a way for a user to customize the front page look to their needs, to choose what to display and what's not.

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

just fyi: nothing is set in stone. We're currently monitoring the impact of having recaps on the front page. SEO wise recaps do very well. But we're taking things such as user behavior & the opinion of users more into account than anything else.
It might be that we leave it, remove it, or move it to its own block.

Jan wrote:
just fyi: nothing is set in stone. We're currently monitoring the impact of having recaps on the front page. SEO wise recaps do very well. But we're taking things such as user behavior & the opinion of users more into account than anything else.
It might be that we leave it, remove it, or move it to its own block.

How about customization? Is that even possible in the current implementation?

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
How about customization? Is that even possible in the current implementation?

Not at the moment. Later yes.

Try 30 days of free premium.