Try 30 days of free premium.

Block voting for unreleased shows?

jeffy78 wrote 4 years ago: 1

I do not know where to post this so i am doing it here. How come you let people vote for shows that are not even out yet? There is multiple votes for shows that were just announced as well as coming soon such as Snowpiercer, Lord of the Rings, and The Mandalorian just to name a few! I dunno maybe these people have a way to see an advance airing of an episode or something but still even if so basing a vote off 1 episode isn't very good. So i guess my suggestion is don't allow voting unless the show is airing or has aired.

Thanks for listening.

gazza911 wrote 4 years ago: 2

It has come up multiple times before. There are legitimate reasons as to why people should be able to vote on episodes prior to the airdate we have listed.

Whilst I agree in a sense that it doesn't currently seem right, there's no definitive amount of episodes you need to watch in order to rate a show (I personally wait for there to be 3 or 4 episodes I've rated pretty similar).

A minimum of the first episode airing (or show status 'Ended') before allowing show voting seems reasonable to me though.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 2

I think it could be reasonable to allow voting not earlier than a 3-4 weeks before premiere for shows, and a week for episodes. I doubt that many people have access earlier than that.

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 2

tnt wrote:
I think it could be reasonable to allow voting not earlier than a 3-4 weeks before premiere for shows, and a week for episodes. I doubt that many people have access earlier than that.

yeh that sounds reasonable

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:

This sounds good to me.

From the reviews I read on new shows I get the impression that the norm is that the reviewers get 4 or so episodes a week before the premiere to base their reviews on.

Gadfly wrote 4 years ago: 0

*shrug* Just my two cents, but if we limit people to voting until the episode premieres... it's not the end of the world.

I know "voting" is one of those things every site does, but other than displaying how many people watch the episode (and bothered to come on the episode page to vote), voting does nothing. If an episode gets an overall rating of 2 but I liked it, I'm not going to suddenly change my opinion and downrate the episode. Or vice versa.

If folks want to write reviews before the episode "officially" premieres, let 'em. I like seeing other people's opinions. But an episode vote # is such a small contextless piece of info that to me it's meaningless. I don't know who cast the vote, why they did or didn't like the episode, and if their motives were "pure". To give two examples, they hate the concept of the show, so downvote every episode. Or they really like an actor on the show, or what he stands for in real life, so they give every episode a 10.

At least limiting it to after the episode premieres provides a little bit of context. Right now we don't even know if they watched the episode. Why does anyone care why someone who didn't watch the episode gave it a 1, or a 10?

jcar03 wrote 4 years ago: 2

I have seen on this on certain shows. Last year, long before "The Conners" aired, I saw that people had come to give it poor ratings because of the controversy surrounding Rosanne. It is sad that this is how people spend their time so it is important for the people that legitimately watch the show to give it honest ratings.

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 3

But how can a vote be legit without having seen a single episode?

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
But how can a vote be legit without having seen a single episode?

Even if the show is already ended you'll never know, how many of the voters are actually watched at least a single episode :)

Jan wrote:
And I find it interesting to see how that rating evolves after the premiere. f.e. https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/42193/star-trek-picard

Yeah, this could've been interesting if we'd have a way to see the historical change of the show's rating, something like this https://i.imgur.com/SzAbupZ.png.
Right now you'd have to keep track manually, which makes it slightly less entertaining :D

Gadfly wrote 4 years ago: 1

Jan wrote:
It might be an unpopular viewpoint: I like to see what peoples sentiment is for a show before the show has aired. And I find it interesting to see how that rating evolves after the premiere. f.e. https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/42193/star-trek-picard

It would be interesting. If we could see it in any meaningful way. But we can't. For instance, we can't see the individual votes. In the example you gave, all we know is that eight people voted and the average is 7.1. That could be anything from eight people voting 8 each; to one person voting 10 and seven people voting 7; to one person voting 1, one person voting 10, and seven people voting 7; to two people voting 1 and the other six voting 9; to dozens more. And all those numbers go in the crapper if someone votes a 1 tomorrow, and most people won't remember the 7.1 today.

Unless you can see the voting breakdown "behind the scenes", Jan, in which case it would be nice if the rest of us could as well. :)

I don't think it's an unpopular viewpoint: it's just a meaningless one if there are no means to at least partially make sure the sentiments are reflective of the viewers'... sentiments. To me, it's not "unpopular", it's wasted space taken up by meaningless numbers. If the sampling were in the tens, or hundreds, or thousands, then maybe it would tell us something. But a sampling of eight people? Eh.

Or to put it another way... small-sample Internet polls/voting are worth the paper they're printed on. :)

Try 30 days of free premium.