Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 2

@JeBoyd wrote:
But guys, are shows deleted just because they've ended?(( That wouldn't make much sense for a TV guide, right? So I wanna this forum to keep things up-to-date.📺🍿 Or do I have some misinformation?

Only duplicates are deleted, ended shows are of course staying :)

JeBoyd wrote a year ago: 1

Got you, thanks*

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 3

Anyone watching "The Diplomat" on Netflix? I watched the first episode and Rufus Sewell shines in this. Keri Russell isn't doing too much for me in her role, almost seems a miscast, but we will see if she grows on me after a few more episodes. Worth it just to see Sewell on screen - the man is the epitome of charm - he's a heart-throb, at least in my book.

Finishing up "Death in Paradise" S12, last episode to go. So far this has been one of the best seasons... I keep raving about it, but I have really enjoyed the expanded storylines. 

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Watching  The Diplomat  now  ..  Brit  .   Soon as I read you're post I went looking for it .  Enjoyed  Rufus Sewell's  performance in  ' The Man in The High Castle '   a few  years back . 

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 2

@solar wrote:
Watching  The Diplomat  now  ..  Brit  .   Soon as I read you're post I went looking for it .  Enjoyed  Rufus Sewell's  performance in  ' The Man in The High Castle '   a few  years back . 

Finished the second episode and still a thumbs up for me. I am enjoying it. They need to buy Keri Russell a comb though. The messy hair is not a good look. We get the point, she isn't a frou-frou person, but making your hair presentable is as basic as it comes. 

solar wrote 11 months ago: 1

Really  gettin' into  The Diplomat  ..  Brit .   The Rufus Sewell character , can't figure him out .   Is he a good guy ?????   .. Is he a bad guy ?????   or just  a pain in the a**  as most people around him seem to feel .  Love the intrigue .... some parts have the same feel as  Kevin Spacey's  House of Cards  a few years back.  That garden fight was epic  (  with the security  guys lookin' on from the balcony .  lol  )   Those two have an interesting marriage , one might say . Am not bingeing ,  watching an ep. every other day . 

tash845 wrote 11 months ago: 1

@solar wrote:
Really  gettin' into  The Diplomat  ..  Brit .   The Rufus Sewell character , can't figure him out .   Is he a good guy ?????   .. Is he a bad guy ?????   or just  a pain in the a**  as most people around him seem to feel .  Love the intrigue .... some parts have the same feel as  Kevin Spacey's  House of Cards  a few years back.  That garden fight was epic  (  with the security  guys lookin' on from the balcony .  lol  )   Those two have an interesting marriage , one might say . Am not bingeing ,  watching an ep. every other day . 

We are also gettin’ into The Diplomat. The hubs and I don’t trust (as far as we could throw him!) the Rufus Sewell character, and think he’s not to be trusted. 

BritMystery wrote 11 months ago: 1

Soler and Tash, I finished E3 last night... I have been moving slower with this series, I don't want to binge it either Soler, so I am spacing out my viewing. That fight scene was epic! You could feel Kate's frustration with Hal in every swing she took at him. He is driving her to the edge of her patience, in fact, I don't think she has an ounce left for him. It is becoming more and more understandable how difficult living with his larger than life personality really is.  

Is he a good guy or a bad guy... I am starting to see he falls in both camps - when she said what he did with the Afghan plane during the evacuation, I gasped. I didn't expect that and I took a step back in how I was viewing him. Morally, he walks a curvy road, there is nothing straight about his thinking or the road he travels. 

Hal does Hal, in his world he is at the center and everyone revolves around him. He sticks his foot right in, sometimes it brings him glory other times his actions are detrimental to what ever the cause he is focusing on. You can never quite trust him or his motives. He has great charm, which is what saves him (at least up to now), but it is hard to live with someone who's motives you can never trust. 

I don't feel he fully thinks through the ramifications - or, to be more to the point -  really cares about the consequences of his actions (as in the Afghan plane incident) - he again, is just doing Hal and let the chips fall where they may.

Also a great scene with Kate and the President in E3. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Nothing  unambiguous about  British  Prime Minister  Trowbridge  ....  he is a total , complete  100%   a**hole ,  Mr.  WWIII .   Still enjoying the  ' Hal and  Kate  show '  just when I think I got him figured out he pulls off that riveting speech that has every ones  full attention .  Go figure . 

Soler, I finished E5 and I am enjoying the heck out of this series! So glad there is going to be a second season. Yep, Mr. WWlll... I ended on Kate asking him what do you want to bomb first, or something close to that - can't wait to hear his response. I know that she has something up her sleeve (she always does) - makes you wonder how often we come close to situations like this in real life because of warmongers like him. (Well, look at the current situation with Russia, this is what happens in real life when there is no one to hold evil back. (I can't think of another word that more correctly describes Putin.) Twrowbridge is not evil, he is as you say, just an idiot of great proportion.

Kate and Hal certainly have a complex relationship - it tetters on the brink, but somehow stays afloat. I am realizing that this is because Hal really does love her and can't see a life ahead for himself without her. She knows this, which I think makes her stop and think. I can't tell if there is enough there for her to pull back from ending their marriage (the relationship will never end no matter what happens - divorce or not). This wrinkle with the Foreign Secretary should be interesting.

Oh, and the whole breakfast thing- he knows her very well, she will eat his leftovers, but won't eat at all if he doesn't eat anything himself. He picks what he eats according to what she will need/want - what gets me, she was totally unaware of this until it was pointed out to her by Stuart.

Deedee, finished the last episode of "River"...what a powerful episode it is. I am so glad that I re-watched the series. I must have been in a bad mood when I watched the second time around. It is such a compelling story and so well acted by all involved. I have to say, one of the best series to come out in recent years.

I also watched the first season of "Staged". I liked David Tennant so much in this - Judi Dench's guest role was priceless! 

I didn't care for Michael Sheen, where David Tennant played a hyper version of himself - more of a characterization with flaws and insecurities out there for all to see, Michael Sheen just came off as a royal ass to me. 

I'll tell ya, I could never live with an actor - lord, they can wear you down - you have to be a special personality to deal with the high's/lows and ego of an artist. My Hubs works in a tough profession, I take an active interest in his career, but that sense of artistic temperament/ego is not part of it (thank goodness). 

deedee713 wrote 11 months ago: 2

Glad you saw River to the end. I was gobsmacked at the denouement and the dance - oh, the dance. Of course I was teary. However, I don't think I could do it again.

Conversely, in Staged I was surprised at myself liking David Tennant. I already like Sheen, but found them both so talented in this. And yes, the cameos were very enjoyable. 

I have given up on Netflix, and then found that I wasn't thrilled with either The Bay (season 4, Britbox) or after the long wait, Grace (season 3, Acorn). Based on the inappropriateness or the incompatibility of the relationships of the main characters.

However, I found a gem on Acorn - Dalgliesh with Bertie Carvel.

@deedee713 wrote:
Glad you saw River to the end. I was gobsmacked at the denouement and the dance - oh, the dance. Of course I was teary. However, I don't think I could do it again.

Conversely, in Staged I was surprised at myself liking David Tennant. I already like Sheen, but found them both so talented in this. And yes, the cameos were very enjoyable. 

I have given up on Netflix, and then found that I wasn't thrilled with either The Bay (season 4, Britbox) or after the long wait, Grace (season 3, Acorn). Based on the inappropriateness or the incompatibility of the relationships of the main characters.

However, I found a gem on Acorn - Dalgliesh with Bertie Carvel.

What season are you watching? I thought I read that the second season hit Acorn. I tried the first season and found it much darker than the originals with Roy Marsden and Martin Shaw ♥️ (he gets a heart for just being Martin Shaw). Anyhoo, the darker the better for you, so quite understandable that you would like Carvel's version. Enjoy!

LOL, the darkness didn't even hit me. It was as violent as every other show I've been seeing, so I think I'm inured to it. The ending of River, on the other hand, hit me squarely between the eyes.

Sorry I don't pay attention to and probably prefer dark! I was more put out by Marsden rug than the darkness of Bertie's show! Hmmm, not sure I saw the lovely Shaw's version, is that anywhere?

I'm on the second season of Bertie's Dalgliesh..........SPOILER.............and without the sexist sargeant it is a much better show.

Soler, I finished E5 and I am enjoying the heck out of this series! So glad there is going to be a second season. 

Can't wait for S2  ..  Brit.  I've given up trying to figure out Hal ....  I 'll just go with the flow ..  he is by far the most interesting character to watch .  Kate has really grown into the  Ambassador's job.   

Deedee, I looked for Martin Shaw's two productions, "Death in Holy Orders" and the "Murder Room", neither is streaming currently. I can't imagine why other than there must be production rights issues causing a problem with obtaining these. I remember borrowing the DVD's from the local library (to watch) back in my New York days.

Can't agree more Soler, the cast is good, but Hal makes it a standout. Guess what... I started rewatching the first season of Midsomer Murders! I watched E2 the other night. These episodes are really the best of the best, it so takes me back. My gosh how young Tom and his crew were! Late 90's, those were some good years.

Sheerwater wrote 11 months ago: 2

@BritMystery  The only DVDs of Martin Shaw's Dalglish stories that I can find at a reasonable price are Region 2. Both of them were recently shown on  the Drama Channel in the UK and are streaming on UKTVPLAY, which is probably not accessible to viewers outside the UK. 

solar wrote 11 months ago: 2

@BritMystery 

These episodes are really the best of the best, it so takes me back. My gosh how young Tom and his crew were! Late 90's, those were some good years.

I notice that too Brit when I view the early  eps. of MM .  The late 90's  we were all so much younger .  lol 

Thanks, Sheerwater. Too bad, I am sure Shaw was very good in the role.

Deedee, have you watched the remaining episodes of "Astrid" S1 (now that PBS has finally aired them)? I have them DVR'd and watched E8 last night - the one where Astrid's group leader William's brother rose from the dead. What a great episode! It was so good. I appreciate what I have learned about how people on the spectrum view neurotypical behavior. I find the group meeting discussions enlightening. Such a well done series.

Try 30 days of free premium.