Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

I read a comment on the FB "Vera" page which said there is no one who could replace Aiden other than Joe (basically, it was never going to really work moving forward with anyone else) and I heartily agree - when KD made the announcement he was leaving Vera and BB said that they would continue on with the series for another season, my first thought was that the only person who could successfully fill Aiden's shoes (at this point in the series) is the return of Joe. We will be going full circle and I do think that that is the way it should be.

Deedee, still watching "River" and I forgot how good the series is! Great stuff. Feeling different than I did on my second watch - I am realizing that he accepts early on his responsibility for his wrongful judgement. As I had said, I focused more on this the last time I watched - it really bothered me, where I am more forgiving/understanding of his actions this time around. So glad I decided to give it a third go. 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

Brit, I didn't realize (or calmly read) that KD decided to leave Vera. I can better accept Joe coming back. I think it would be nice, though, if he put on Vera's blue booties and take them off, as Aiden did.

I too am glad I steeled myself for the full series of River. Oh, that dance.

And surprisingly to me, I enjoyed just about every minute of Staged, and it was three seasons!

I managed to see the last episode of Halifax Retribution on PBS and I wouldn't bother seeking out the other episodes. Holy cow, were LaPaglia and Gibney annoying, imo.

@deedee713 wrote:
Brit, I didn't realize (or calmly read) that KD decided to leave Vera. I can better accept Joe coming back. I think it would be nice, though, if he put on Vera's blue booties and take them off, as Aiden did.

I too am glad I steeled myself for the full series of River. Oh, that dance.

And surprisingly to me, I enjoyed just about every minute of Staged, and it was three seasons!

I managed to see the last episode of Halifax Retribution on PBS and I wouldn't bother seeking out the other episodes. Holy cow, were LaPaglia and Gibney annoying, imo.

Deedee, KD made the unofficial announcement that his time on the show had come to an end right after the last season was aired here in the States, he posted it on his Instagram, so his departure was planned. The official announcement did not come until a few weeks later. 

Ibinabo Jack, who plays Jac has also just announced she is leaving the series - she has commitments in the theater that preclude her from continuing on for another season. The rest of the team is still on board moving forward.  

I wouldn't expect Joe to treat Vera the same way Aiden did, just as I didn't expect Aiden to have the same relationship with her as Joe. I read that Brenda was heartbroken when David Leon decided to leave the series, so she is thrilled that he is coming back. That is not to say that she and Kenny Doughty did not have a close friendship, because they did/do.

Joe actually had a more personal relationship with Vera, he spent more time with her out of the office and was always concerned about her - he worried about her personal welfare and would often bring her something to eat - that was his way of taking care of her like Aiden did with helping her with her booties. They had a close relationship, remember Joe asked Vera to be godmother for their child - she declined, but that is how much she meant to him. 

I am going to check out "Staged", the fact that you made through three seasons is great praise.

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 2

I am going to check out "Staged", the fact that you made through three seasons is great praise............... :O)

Like Morse before it, the airwaves without Vera will be poorer for the absence.

@deedee713 wrote:
I am going to check out "Staged", the fact that you made through three seasons is great praise............... :O)

Like Morse before it, the airwaves without Vera will be poorer for the absence.

So true Deedee, btw as a bit of gossip, Kevin Doughty (per his Instagram) is currently vacationing in Shetland. Looks beautiful. He's on vaca, but I would imagine his partner Ashley Jensen (Miss High Heels) is there with him for a work related reason. 

My thought - nothing to back this up, but I think AJ taking on the role of lead detective from Douglas Henshall played a part in KD's decision to end his run on "Vera". With her being away on set during production and his being away for Vera that would put a strain on any relationship - so maybe he felt given the fact that BB was considering retirement and there were no firm dates for the next series it was a good time to move on. 

Apparently Ibinabo Jack felt the same way because she lined up other work for herself - would she have done that if she knew they were definitely doing another season? Maybe... I do think all the indecision of whether the series would continue took its' toll. 

It seemed to me that all the fuss the fans made about the end of the series pushed BB to say she would do another run, since this decision was made after S12 aired, it was too late as Kenny and Ibinabo already had made other career/personal choices. I think that David Leon agreed to come back and resurrect his role to fill in the breach for BB, because really who else was ever going to work after Aiden. This next season (I feel) will definitely be the last for the series - I can't see David Leon agreeing to do more than one season. He's coming back to help BB close out the series.

I saw some comments that Kenny D. would have been a good choice to follow in Jimmy Perez's footsteps and I have to agree - I could definitely see him in that role - Ashley J., not so much.

@Sheerwater wrote:
https://deadline.com/2023/04/itv-unforgotten-ratings-smash-drama-season-six-1235316211/amp/

Unforgotten has been renewed for a 6th season by Itv.

Sheerwater, I have read little snippets here and there from UK viewers and they have been quite positive about this season - I keep seeing comments of "give it a chance, it's held up in quality even with Nicola's departure." Well, I guess with those viewer numbers, and another renewal under its' belt, that is true. Okay, I am going to be open minded and go in with a positive vibe.

I am up to E5 of the current season of "Death in Paradise" and it has been a really good one. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to the last few episodes. I think this has been one of my favorite seasons to date. I like the new crew, not that I don't miss some of the past personalities, but this group works well together. 

Spoilers... Death in Paradise.

Question for all... am I the only one who wonders what happened to the Commissioner's wife? We met her in the past.. they lived in that big, beautiful house - now, no wife and no house. It's like he had no life until his unknown daughter turns up out of the blue. A little follow-through would have been nice, they could have written some kind of exit for her in the script unless I missed it somewhere.

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Thanks for the Unforgotten  update  Sheerwater  .....    With all the positive comments Brit , sounds like the writing has been kept up  , which is so important when ya start making  cast  changes . 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

Miss Raisin the new Perez? Blech, no thank you. You surely are in the know, Brit!

@solar wrote:
Thanks for the Unforgotten  update  Sheerwater  .....    With all the positive comments Brit , sounds like the writing has been kept up  , which is so important when ya start making  cast  changes . 

Yes, Soler a well scripted show will hold people's interest even after a major cast change - that's the only way it can or will survive and it seems they pulled it off with the new season of Unforgotten. 

Well, besides "Unforgotten" airing this Masterpiece Mystery season we also have the last season of "Endeavour" on the schedule and a new series that looks like it has potential. "Ridley", airing June 18th. 

Here is a short trailer...

https://youtu.be/mvtgjSMmbVI

There are other series coming... "Grantchester" "Van Der Valk" and I think another season of "Annika" and "Before We Die"... not sure if these will make it in to the summer/fall Mystery line-up or later in the year (or maybe beginning of next year for some). 

I say this every year, and I am going to say it again... And, they, TPTB at PBS were going to put the Mystery Season to bed... remember that announcement, because of supposedly "lack of interest". 

Yea right, where they came up with that I am still trying to understand - the mystery genre is what is greasing the wheels and keeping PBS relevant today given all the options we have for programming. You wonder what they were serving for refreshment at that brainstorm of a meeting. 😉

@deedee713 wrote:
Miss Raisin the new Perez? Blech, no thank you. You surely are in the know, Brit!

Deedee, you are not the only one questioning that choice to replace Jimmy P., there is a lot of rumbling about it. People are willing to give her a chance, that's fair, but it is a hard one to get your head around. 

I hope she pulls if off, because if she doesn't and the series goes down in flames it is going to hurt her career. That next job is going to be a hard one to get.

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 2

Interesting, Brit, on Ridley. It was created and written by the creator of Vera, aired on ITV in 2022, and apparently never made it here. Looks good.

I remember not liking the Swedish Before We Die, but I can try the Lesly Sharp version on PBS Passport. Thanks.

Grantchester coming back - should be interesting, they tied everything up at the end of series 7.

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Ridley looks like a  ' watch '  ......  recognize Adrian Dunbar  from  Call  of  Duty  ......  which had a good action flow .   Trailer  says he just lost his wife and daughter but doesn't say how .  Could be an interesting series . 

Sheerwater wrote a year ago: 1

The BBC has announced that Red Planet Pictures’ Beyond Paradise, co-commissioned with BritBox International, will return for a second series and a Christmas special following the huge success of series one. One of the UK’s most popular dramas of the year so far, Beyond Paradise has attracted an audience of 8.7 million viewers (BBC all-screens 30-day figure for episode one).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/beyond-paradise-series-2-christmas-special/

caperj wrote a year ago: 0

I received a notification from Tvmaze that Waterloo Road was marked for deletion and on the same day I see a news article on Tvmaze that BBC confirms that Waterloo Road was returning for another term. What gives?

momijigari wrote a year ago: 1

@caperj wrote:
I received a notification from Tvmaze that Waterloo Road was marked for deletion and on the same day I see a news article on Tvmaze that BBC confirms that Waterloo Road was returning for another term. What gives?

Only one showpage is allowed per show, so if someone creates a duplicate it is scheduled for deletion. (And if you had searched for "Waterloo Road", you would have been able to answer that yourself, as the reason for deletion is added to the duplicate showpage.) (Oh, and btw, shows aren¨t deleted because they have ended..... what good would a tvguide like that be?)

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@momijigari wrote:
Only one showpage is allowed per show, so if someone creates a duplicate it is scheduled for deletion. (And if you had searched for "Waterloo Road", you would have been able to answer that yourself, as the reason for deletion is added to the duplicate showpage.) (Oh, and btw, shows aren¨t deleted because they have ended..... what good would a tvguide like that be?)

@caperj wrote:

https://www.tvmaze.com/showwiki/view?id=920

JeBoyd wrote a year ago: 0

@momijigari wrote:

But guys, are shows deleted just because they've ended?(( That wouldn't make much sense for a TV guide, right? So I wanna this forum to keep things up-to-date.📺🍿 Or do I have some misinformation?

caperj wrote a year ago: 1

@momijigari wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

@Sheerwater wrote:
The BBC has announced that Red Planet Pictures’ Beyond Paradise, co-commissioned with BritBox International, will return for a second series and a Christmas special following the huge success of series one. One of the UK’s most popular dramas of the year so far, Beyond Paradise has attracted an audience of 8.7 million viewers (BBC all-screens 30-day figure for episode one).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/beyond-paradise-series-2-christmas-special/

Hey, Sheerwater! How is everyone doing these days? PBS seems to be rolling out the Mystery season slowly this year, but it is only April, I think I am just feeling anxious to start the season, there is quite a bit to look forward to. We are still in the midst of the Masterpiece schedule with "Tom Jones" airing this weekend. I am skipping that - I really haven't been interested in the Masterpiece classic line-up for a while.

I have been watching a new Korean series and rewatching the older Star Trek films. Otherwise, it has been a little bit of this and that. I watched a few episodes of "Pie in the Sky" from the later seasons and enjoyed them. It was never a favorite of mine, although I do like watching Maggie Stead's character - she is the standout in the series for me. Recently re-watched the "To the Manor Born" 25th Anniversary Special. I remember so waiting for the DVD to come out so I could order it from Amazon UK and watch it here in the States - that was in 2008... where did all the time go?? 

Sheerwater, I never got back to "Beyond Paradise", I read viewer's comments and picked-up bits and pieces of the story line and nothing compelled me to want to carry on with it. So it will remain a one (episode) and done for me. Usually I give a new series three episodes to make up my mind - I can't even bother to do that. People love it though, so overall, it is a hit.

Also, I forgot to add, I am rewatching my all time favorite "For the Love of Ada" and it is just moments of pure joy for me. I have found that some of the retro programs I use to love aren't holding up for me like they once did. The spark isn't there anymore like it once was. Not with 'For the Love..." - puts a smile on my face from beginning to end.

Try 30 days of free premium.