Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

solar wrote 10 months ago: 1

Yes  Brit  ....   still watchin  '  Survivor  '   ,   on  S2 E8 ,   still lots of drama with one crisis after another ,  poor Pres. can't get his breakfast  down without one of his aids crashing thru the door  with the latest  catastrophe for him to solve.  Makes for a fast paced show.  In it till the end.  

Haven't seen the second  Downton  movie  yet.  You say it's filmed at Downton and the south of France  ....  two good locations .  Don't know when I'll get ta see it but I keep lookin'.  

deedee713 wrote 10 months ago: 1

Okay, we've had the prequel, Endeavour, and the genuine article, Morse. Now I want a ......... what's the middle saga called?

Hmmmm, and I want someone closer to the curmudgeonly lonely alcoholic lovely Morse as Thaw portrayed him.

Again, the supporting cast to Endeavour were magnificent. I will miss this show.

Hmmmm, and I want someone closer to the curmudgeonly lonely alcoholic lovely Morse as Thaw portrayed him.

Yes  dee  .....  how did they go off  track and pick  that    ' deer in the headlights stare '  that came with Shaun Evans .  The supporting cast is the only reason I watched the show .  Got  the 2 Eps. in  PVR ..will get ta them this week. as ya can see, in no rush.  Will view by lookin'  over , around , under , thru  Evans .  He just might as well be  Inspector Jones or Smith  or some other name .....  I just don't see him as  Morse  when I watch the show. 

@solar wrote:

Yes  dee  .....  how did they go off  track and pick  that    ' deer in the headlights stare '  that came with Shaun Evans .  The supporting cast is the only reason I watched the show .  Got  the 2 Eps. in  PVR ..will get ta them this week. as ya can see, in no rush.  Will view by lookin'  over , around , under , thru  Evans .  He just might as well be  Inspector Jones or Smith  or some other name .....  I just don't see him as  Morse  when I watch the show. 

Quite true solar. Tried to explain to hubs (although he did remember that Morse had a partner) who thought Lewis (from the show with the tall skinny guy, no that was Hathaway, son of James Fox at which point his eyes glazed over) had a Jack Russell, and I had to explain Morse and Endeavour and Thursday in Endeavour and no Thursday in Morse (huh?) and the real owner of the Jack Russell, John Barnaby, no not Tom. And how Russell Lewis fit the absence of characters in Morse into Endeavour, well done by the way.

Ever try that, explaining your obsession with Brit shows to someone who ain't - in my case a streetrod fanatic, and yes I know more about cars than I care to know. Explain why Brett is magnificent and Cumberbatch isn't? Why Hickson is the one and only Marple, but McKenzie is not bad, but the twee McEwan isn't, yeah like he knows what twee is. At least he appreciates the Poirots that have Japp and Miss Lemon and Capt. Hastings in them.

As Brit said, we can expound here from the heart, and I am grateful for that.

As always, to everyone (except for moi!) do NOT read around on the internet. Since this show already aired, recaps are everywhere to be found.

BritMystery wrote 10 months ago: 1

@solar  and @deedee713 ... I was just thinking the same as you both are commenting. If "Endeavour" was called anything other - and had been marketed as a stand alone detective series with no affiliation to Morse - it still would have gloriously flyed on its' own through these nine seasons as a triumph... the series itself is excellent. 

It never needed its' pseudo Morse cover to sell it. That's all that was (a selling point) as Evans' has continually shouted from the rooftops that his intention was to play Morse his way and that he had no real knowledge of the character prior to getting the gig. 

Think of it, the only association we have had in the series are the characters Endeavour, Strange and the jag!  If Shaun Evans' character was named Robert Hardcastle, he drove any other car than a red jag and Strange's name was Stephen - would anyone readily have picked up on this series as a prequel to Morse? We would have enjoyed it for what it is, a great character driven detective series - and that would be that.

Deedee, I too wouldn't mind seeing a series (of a season or two) with Morse in his middle years portrayed by an actor more sympathetic to the character that we know. I don't think it should run more than two seasons - going on too long would put it too close to the Lewis days. We won't see it though... getting someone that could pull that off without putting his own spin on things would be difficult.

And, as you caution, I am staying away from reading anything on the internet specifically for the reason of not having this last season spoiled for me.

I was out last night so I have both Ridley and Endeavour DVR'd to watch over the next few days. Looking forward to it!

Watched "Ridley" last night... I liked the twist in the end - when I realized what really had happened I thought wow, didn't see that coming until right there in the ninth inning. Good story development. We also have more information about the loss of his wife and daughter, so some of the puzzle is being filled in. 

The singing though has got to go. He is not that great of a singer, not bad, but not good enough to have to listen to it every episode. I feels so artificial to me, like they tagged this cabaret singer bit on to the character as an after thought. I am not buying it and could well do without it. 

At this point, I am finding the series mediocre - like the singing, okay but not great. We still have two more episodes yet to come and it does take time for a series to find a groove. Must say, "Magpie Murders" didn't need the time - great story right out of the gate, but then we do have the one and only Anthony Horowitz at the helm. He is the Bob Larbey of our day. Still miss that man, sending out ((heart)) thoughts. 

Oh, in my post above I forgot to include "No Commitments" the long-standing (78 episodes) BBC radio series to Angela Thorne's accomplishments. They are airing the ninth series once again and I started listening last night. Great cast including Bill Nighy as her husband. BBC radio gold!

Yeah  Brit   ......  thought  second Ridley  Ep.  kind of tied things together,  That twist at the end with the little girl was a shocker  in a good way though.  Good show  but not great  like in the  Nicola Walker  Unforgotten  kind of way.  Visiting that guy in prison who set the fire that killed his wife and daughter  was a puzzle to me .  Might become  more clear in future Eps. You're right ....   that singing has got to go . First  Ep.  was O.K.    He walked into a  quite , empty , dark bar and wandered over to the piano and gave us a verse of  Mountains O' Mourne . I liked that  but that second song was so staged ( pardon the pun )  sooooo  set up  to show up his singing skills , or what there is of them.  Just STOP with that but I fear we are in for more.  Touching scene at the end with  Ridley walking that hillside alone  and listening to wife's voice on the  answer machine . Heard of people doing this  as a way of holding on .  Looking forward to more  Ridley  or should I call this show   The Singing Detective . 

Did ya se that blurb at the end featuring the  Frankie Drake Mysteries . Curious ta see what this show will be like  . 

Touching scene at the end with Ridley walking that hillside alone  and listening to wife's voice on the  answer machine. Heard of people doing this as a way of holding on.    

@solar, that scene got to me, such a realistic response to loss. I felt myself in his place at that moment, it is something I would do. I don't know how you erase the voice of the person you love saying a greeting from you, your daughter and yourself. That is still a moment of being a family for him. In the dregs of grief that would be played a million times just to keep yourself in that space for a few moments longer.

"Frankie Drake Mysteries" has been a staple on local PBS stations here in the States for a few years. I am surprised you haven't seen it yet. It's a light period investigation series in the line of "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries". I watched about half of the first season, but it isn't my thing - neither was Miss Fisher - an episode here or there was entertaining, I wasn't enthralled enough to carry on. Has a strong following though, people love it, it was aired for four seasons and is now in reruns. 

Give it a go you may really enjoy it.

@BritMystery  "Frankie Drake Mysteries" has been a staple on local PBS stations here in the States for a few years.

Must of been havin' a  Brain - Fog  moment , Brit.  or been  aware  of  this series and dismissed it years ago because as you called it  a '  light period investigation  ' remember trying the  Miss Fisher  thing a long while back and dismissed it as being light. 

OMG, @deedee713, did I see who I thought I saw at the end when Endeavour opens his front door!?! You could have pushed me over with a feather! They are certainly pulling out all the stops with this last season - first Ronnie B. and now this! Can't wait to see what the backstory is... unbelievable. 

Solar, I know you haven't watched yet so I will say no more. You need to get the full impact of this season with as few spoilers as possible. 

Brit, I hope you knew who it was, I didn't, I had to look it up! I think they need more than a single episode to tie it all up.

I've seen Frankie Drake on Ovation and found it false. I liked Miss Fisher, both for the clothes and the chemistry and the show. Then they blew it up with a final movie and then worse yet, with a Twinkie Miss Fisher. It can be done, the young Jane Tennyson was good. 

And oh yes, Magpie Murders was excellent. Where are these past good shows? Now that Endeavour is gone, aren't there a few slots to be filled and a few paychecks to be passed around?

Ridley is okay, but Dunbar is another lead who leaves me flat. And the singing, oy. Nice touch with the answering machine, I've seen that used in other shows. Supporting cast - Nicola Walker - and others were good.

solar, I don't know how Singing Detective would hold up today, but I found the premise quite excellent. And I liked Maigret's Michael Gambon in it. And then I liked Rowan Atkinson as Maigret. Also done and gone.

Who is down to? Producers? Showrunners? We have a middling show, DIP, let's beat it to death. We have an excellent show, Maigret, Magpie Murders, let's end it.

And remind me not to comment on Unforgotten, there is no show without Nicola Walker.

@deedee713 wrote:
Brit, I hope you knew who it was, I didn't, I had to look it up! I think they need more than a single episode to tie it all up.

I've seen Frankie Drake on Ovation and found it false. I liked Miss Fisher, both for the clothes and the chemistry and the show. Then they blew it up with a final movie and then worse yet, with a Twinkie Miss Fisher. It can be done, the young Jane Tennyson was good. 

And oh yes, Magpie Murders was excellent. Where are these past good shows? Now that Endeavour is gone, aren't there a few slots to be filled and a few paychecks to be passed around?

Ridley is okay, but Dunbar is another lead who leaves me flat. And the singing, oy. Nice touch with the answering machine, I've seen that used in other shows. Supporting cast - Nicola Walker - and others were good.

solar, I don't know how Singing Detective would hold up today, but I found the premise quite excellent. And I liked Maigret's Michael Gambon in it. And then I liked Rowan Atkinson as Maigret. Also done and gone.

Who is down to? Producers? Showrunners? We have a middling show, DIP, let's beat it to death. We have an excellent show, Maigret, Magpie Murders, let's end it.

And remind me not to comment on Unforgotten, there is no show without Nicola Walker.

I was thinking the same thing, how are they going to tie this all up in only one episode? I mean, one more episode was fine until Endeavour opened that door... (after that) how are you are going to leave us with one episode! Gees, I tell you, never in a million years did I see that coming.

"Magpie Murders" is coming back for another season, that has already been commissioned. Given what is left in the PBS Mystery line-up, (yes, there are a few slots to fill) my guess is that there will be another one after that. I see Magpie going for at least three seasons. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but that's my call because this is one of PBS's strongest shows at present.

Miss Fisher was beyond gorgeous - the hair, the clothes - all fabulous. One of the most stunning lead characters in any series.

Finished  the 2 nd. Ep. of  Endeavour ........   and must say enjoyed it.  Beautifully written , interesting plots and has a good flow.  This is a top rate show  and I'm sorry it will end.  I watch it quite contented as long as I  disassociate  ' Inspector Morse '  from this show .  Evans is good  , all characters are good , the show is good . It could easily  stand on its own.  Evans  is NOT Morse .....  I call him  Endeavour  ' Smith '  .  I can abide  Evans's   ' Deer in the headlights look '  as long as i view him as a stand alone detective , detached from  Morse .  I will say no more as I am  repeating  my  position on this .   Find it funny to see Bright sitting at his desk , behind an ash tray  smoking a cigarette  but it is 1972  remember . Everybody smoked .  lol   Surprised  when  Joan called Smith to set up a time ta have a drink .....  not done with him yet  I see. lol   

@BritMystery ...   that man at the end , at the other side of the door. ????????

@solar wrote:
Finished  the 2 nd. Ep. of  Endeavour ........   and must say enjoyed it.  Beautifully written , interesting plots and has a good flow.  This is a top rate show  and I'm sorry it will end.  I watch it quite contented as long as I  disassociate  ' Inspector Morse '  from this show .  Evans is good  , all characters are good , the show is good . It could easily  stand on its own.  Evans  is NOT Morse .....  I call him  Endeavour  ' Smith '  .  I can abide  Evans's   ' Deer in the headlights look '  as long as i view him as a stand alone detective , detached from  Morse .  I will say no more as I am  repeating  my  position on this .   Find it funny to see Bright sitting at his desk , behind an ash tray  smoking a cigarette  but it is 1972  remember . Everybody smoked .  lol   Surprised  when  Joan called Smith to set up a time ta have a drink .....  not done with him yet  I see. lol   

@BritMystery ...   that man at the end , at the other side of the door. ????????

Solar, Peter Jakes, the ex copper who worked with Smith seasons ago, who left the force to go to the States with his fiance. He and Smith had a rocky start (with just cause)  - I didn't like him at all for the longest time, but he turned himself around at the end. 

The most important thing is that we had come to learn that he was one of the children (Little Pete) abused by the pedophile ring that Smith and Thursday were investigating that got Smith put in jail and Thursday shot. The article below explains in detail to bring you up to speed (I needed the refresher myself). 

The fact that when Smith, Thursday and Bright are back on the case, dead bodies are found and people high up are threatening Smith trying to get him to stop investigating (Ronnie Box has already left town in fear of his life)  - Jakes showing up at Endeavour's door (oh sorry, I mean Smith's 😉) tells us he is back to help the team settle the unfinished business that surrounds the evil Blenheim Vale.

I found this article for you that explains the entire backstory. 

I, for one, never expected (in a million years) to see him again. This finale season is full speed ahead, a lot of thought was put in to this ending, they are truly tying-up all the loose ends and making the most of it.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/endeavour-ds-peter-jakes-survivor-story/

BritMystery   

This finale season is full speed ahead, a lot of thought was put in to this ending, they are truly tying-up all the loose ends and making the most of it.

Mr. Jakes is he .....You are up on this series Brit .  Thanks for the link.  

@solar wrote:
BritMystery   

This finale season is full speed ahead, a lot of thought was put in to this ending, they are truly tying-up all the loose ends and making the most of it.

Mr. Jakes is he .....You are up on this series Brit .  Thanks for the link.  

Happy Canada Day, Solar!

@BritMystery 

Happy Canada Day, Solar!

Thanks  Brit   ...   rainy, foggy , misty  day for it thou .   Hope you're  4th.  has nicer  weather. 

I read somewhere they were going to explain the limp. Did they? They didn't, did they? I have to rewatch of course!

Nicely done. But...............why the shot? Gratuitous fluff?

I missed the bit about Robby. 

Who was the lady at the end with the cigarette?

Okay, Lewis, start writing a mid-quel (not a word) and dip into the talented pool of UK actors. That damned rear view mirror, Lewis had to make me choke up.

Ah, so Sarah Vickers was pregnant.

Well done, all.

solar wrote 10 months ago: 0

WOW  .......   don't know what to say. Don't think I've seen a show that has put so  much into an ending  ... as was done in  ' Inspector  Smith '   did  ' Smith ' really do  what Ithink he done with that gun  in that graveyard ????      No  singing  Ridley  in this  weeks  ep. ,  too busy with the case I guess .  

Try 30 days of free premium.