Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

tash845 wrote a year ago: 2

@solar wrote:
Happy  Polar Vortex   weekend .    ..  tash  :)

so cold, but gonna be a heat wave* tomorrow hitting 46 degrees. happy. 

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

Hey, Guys!  Like Tash I don't use Netflix as my primary source for British programming, but anything that helps us get the most for our money from our Netflix subscription is a-okay in my book. Deedee, when I saw someone post the codes in one of the FB British TV pages I passed the info on so you all could benefit from it. 

Outside of "Marcella" (which I definitely plan on finishing Soler) I am currently watching a lovely Japanese series (The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House) on Netflix. These days I am finding less and less to watch there though. I heard about a Rufus Sewell series that recently hit (Kaleidoscope) that has an interesting concept - you can watch the episodes in any order you like as long as you watch "White: The Heist" last. Okay... I might give this a try.

It is so cold today we stayed indoors, tomorrow (with the heat wave 😀) the Hubs and I are going to Afternoon Tea at a Cafe/British shop outside of Philly.  So looking forward to it! I need something new to do from the norm and this seemed just right to fit the bill. 

tash845 wrote a year ago: 1

@BritMystery wrote:

Hey, Guys!  Like Tash I don't use Netflix as my primary source for British programming, but anything that helps us get the most for our money from our Netflix subscription is a-okay in my book. Deedee, when I saw someone post the codes in one of the FB British TV pages I passed the info on so you all could benefit from it. 

Outside of "Marcella" (which I definitely plan on finishing Soler) I am currently watching a lovely Japanese series (The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House) on Netflix. These days I am finding less and less to watch there though. I heard about a Rufus Sewell series that recently hit (Kaleidoscope) that has an interesting concept - you can watch the episodes in any order you like as long as you watch "White: The Heist" last. Okay... I might give this a try.

It is so cold today we stayed indoors, tomorrow (with the heat wave 😀) the Hubs and I are going to Afternoon Tea at a Cafe/British shop outside of Philly.  So looking forward to it! I need something new to do from the norm and this seemed just right to fit the bill. 

@BritMystery Enjoy your afternoon tea! Went with friends frequently for high tea in Manhattan. Was very posh and we always enjoyed it. The hubby and I look forward to watching Kaleidoscope, I’m a fan of Rufus Sewell. 

@BritMystery The following we have watched on Netflix over a period of time. You might want to check them out:

The Queens Gambit, Where the Crawdads Sing, Dead to Me, Locke & Key, You.

@tash845 wrote:
@BritMystery The following we have watched on Netflix over a period of time. You might want to check them out:

The Queens Gambit, Where the Crawdads Sing, Dead to Me, Locke & Key, You.

Thanks Tash for the suggestions. I watched "The Queens Gambit", but none of the others. I will definitely check them out.

The latest season of "C.B. Strike" dropped on HBO/HBO Max. I watched the first episode last night, looks like another good one (didn't expect anything less!). I'll move on to the next later on this week, I like to take it slow with this series - not one to rush through. That opening theme/title sequence gets me every time. As someone here said in an earlier post, perfect for the series. 

Planning on watching the second episode of "Vera" tonight. Back to back pure enjoyment. 

theprisoner6 wrote a year ago: 1

@BritMystery wrote:

The latest season of "C.B. Strike" dropped on HBO/HBO Max. I watched the first episode last night, looks like another good one (didn't expect anything less!). I'll move on to the next later on this week, I like to take it slow with this series - not one to rush through. That opening theme/title sequence gets me every time. As someone here said in an earlier post, perfect for the series. 

Planning on watching the second episode of "Vera" tonight. Back to back pure enjoyment. 

Brit,

Is that season 5 of Strike?  Thanks!

@theprisoner6 wrote:
Brit,

Is that season 5 of Strike?  Thanks!

Yes, S5 "Troubled Blood". 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

@BritMystery wrote:

I enjoyed it .... mostly. Let us know what you think.

Not sure who likes Nordic Noir, but I enjoyed The Truth Will Out, Swedish, on Acorn. A hard watch, not for those who don't like that sort of stuff.

If you like lovely and the best actors without a name, there's still Short Film Showcase on Acorn.

Is Death in Paradise 12 on Britbox? I can't find it, but Facebook says it is.

And finally, the best for last. Vera 12 on Britbox and Acorn, it seems. Numerous little Vera-isms which made me smile.

Thanks, tash, for the codes on Netflix. 

@deedee713 wrote:

Not sure who likes Nordic Noir, but I enjoyed The Truth Will Out, Swedish, on Acorn. A hard watch, not for those who don't like that sort of stuff.

If you like lovely and the best actors without a name, there's still Short Film Showcase on Acorn.

And finally, the best for last. Vera 12 on Britbox and Acorn, it seems. Numerous little Vera-isms which made me smile.

@deedee713  You’re welcome, deedee. 

@deedee713 wrote:

Deedee, I just checked, I have two episodes of "Death in Paradise" S12 available through Britbox on Prime. I had to locate Death in Paradise in Britbox first to find S12... it wasn't showing in the "Britbox recently added" line-up, nor on my "continue to watch" where the new "Vera" episode popped up ready to be clicked on without my having to hunt it down.

"Short Film Focus" does sound very good. 

solar wrote a year ago: 1

sheerwater  ... glad ya made it over  ,  wasn't sure if ya were gonna find out in time about the demise of Share TV  and our regrouping here at TVMAZE.  John Cleese back in his element ...   Faulty Towers was a classic . No mater how many times I've seen a rerun of  Faulty I never got tired of it. Have watched him recently in  Hold the Sunset  but found the show mediocre and his  appearance in it as well. 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

@BritMystery wrote:

Deedee, I just checked, I have two episodes of "Death in Paradise" S12 available through Britbox on Prime. I had to locate Death in Paradise in Britbox first to find S12... it wasn't showing in the "Britbox recently added" line-up, nor on my "continue to watch" where the new "Vera" episode popped up ready to be clicked on without my having to hunt it down.

"Short Film Focus" does sound very good. 

Thanks, Brit, I will try again. Yes, make it hard to find, that always puts a smile on my face.

tash, Brit, I'll be darned, worked like a charm, and I was debating getting rid of the dinosaur Netflix. Lo and behold, they even have my favorite, 'dark' shows. 

So tell me, how did you come upon this lock box secret? Netflix kept this hidden WHY? 

Hello Sheerwater! So great to hear from you! I will be tuning in if the "Faulty Towers" reboot becomes available here as I am in a big nostalgic mode these days. 

In fact, Soler I started watching S6 of "Last of the Summer Wine". I am three episodes in. I've told you my siblings are big fans, I never was. Lately though, I have been going on binges of shows from the 70's and 80's, watching one after another and kind of living in another time for a few hours.

I read this article about Last of the Summer Wine and it's popularity and in the comments a few people mentioned that the earlier seasons had a simplicity and warmth that the later seasons lost. Primarily, because the earlier seasons were centered around the three main characters and Sid, Ivy (the Cafe), Nora Batty and Wally. Where in later years, more and more characters were added and it took on another life. Not that it wasn't still popular, just that it lost some of the innocence of its' original concept.

After reading this I got curious since the episodes I have seen are more from the later years. So, I found the series on Britbox and dove in to S6. 

Surprisingly, outside of Sid's wife Ivy, who is unbearably overplayed by Jane Freeman - she spends most of the time screaming and hitting everyone (I find absolutely no humor in it) I am enjoying it. There is a really good episode when Campo takes up car racing - Nora's reaction to this took me quite by surprise and it was so nice to see that side of her. I now understand what the commenters to the article we're saying. 

I tried "Hold the Sunset", after an episode (or two) I watched the finale just to see how it ended and was done with it. I agree, in fact mediocre is too kind imo.

@deedee713 wrote:
Thanks, Brit, I will try again. Yes, make it hard to find, that always puts a smile on my face.

tash, Brit, I'll be darned, worked like a charm, and I was debating getting rid of the dinosaur Netflix. Lo and behold, they even have my favorite, 'dark' shows. 

So tell me, how did you come upon this lock box secret? Netflix kept this hidden WHY? 

Deedee, lots of dark detective shows on Netflix you might like. Netflix seems to lean towards the darker shows. 

I found out about the code from one of the British TV FB pages in one of the comments. Someone asked about British shows on Netflix and a poster graciously provided the codes to make it easy to find them. Before this, I had no idea the codes existed.

Oh, I wanted to mention I was checking out the Ovation channel last night and it is running Rebus (Ken Stot) as well as a host of S1/E1 series like Dr. Blake, Midsomer Murders, Doc Martin, along with Mr. and Mrs. Murder (already well in to S1) - I have not watched this, recording a few episodes to see if I like it - and their typical fare of Murdoch Mysteries and Frankie Drake. It is not always easy to find the beginning episodes of some of these series on TV, so I wanted to give you all a heads-up.

solar wrote a year ago: 1

Yeah  Brit  .....   still have  ' Summer Wine '   ( ONE TV  )  in  PVR  ,  watching the later versions now ...  when I started  PVRing  , it was showing the earlier eps .   Still savouring   ' All Creatures '   on PBS  ,  only  2  EPS. left to go .  Like all the characters  and ya get the added boost of  the animals .   Ya often hear  the remakes are not as good as the original ...   I can't compare as I did not watch the orig. due to one of the character  actors  I could not abide .   nuff  said   lol    Started  watching  The Crown  S5  ( netflix ) the other night ,  will watch 1 ep. per night or every second night .  

@solar wrote:
Yeah  Brit  .....   still have  ' Summer Wine '   ( ONE TV  )  in  PVR  ,  watching the later versions now ...  when I started  PVRing  , it was showing the earlier eps .   Still savouring   ' All Creatures '   on PBS  ,  only  2  EPS. left to go .  Like all the characters  and ya get the added boost of  the animals .   Ya often hear  the remakes are not as good as the original ...   I can't compare as I did not watch the orig. due to one of the character  actors  I could not abide .   nuff  said   lol    Started  watching  The Crown  S5  ( netflix ) the other night ,  will watch 1 ep. per night or every second night .  

Soler, I watched S5 of the "Crown" after a two season hiatus as I was not a fan of Olivia Colman in the role as Queen, and as I have said, I found no joy in watching what happened to Diana play out on screen in those years.

I became curious to see what Imelda Staunton and Lesley Manville did with their respective roles and starting watching S5. I was pleasantly surprised - I think they really made each their own. I watched the entire season, that in itself says it all 'cause you know me, if something doesn't speak to me, I drop it like a hot potato - no qualms, I move on to something else. 

Deedee, Vera S12/E2... Excellent, excellent, excellent!  Writing is superb... looked it up on IMDB - this is the third episode Sally Abbott has written for the series (S10/E3, S11/E4) both which are good, but not of the same caliper as "For the Grace of God". This episode is right at the top as one of the best of the series. Right up there with the first two seasons. It has everything that anyone could possibly want from a Vera story... it is so well done. 

The scenes (which I was so missing) of Vera at home - each one brought me back to the early years when we learned so much about Vera's past and her relationship with her father Hector - it gave me that whoosh moment of seeing her sitting there with Joe and talking about life and work. They actually work to center the story. And then, the added bonus of the scenes of her commute to the crime scene - gees, how I was (again) missing all of that. There is a lushness to these that has been absent in the series of late.

I had a feeling early on who committed the murder - nothing concrete at that time, just a buzz in my ear. I was right, and yet I enjoyed every moment of the investigation process. This episode had my full attention for its' entirety, I wouldn't even stop it for a moments break. 

Tears flowed at the end, I have never had that happen to me in a Vera story - even when Bethany died, as devastating as that was. It was to my surprise the tears flowed, that is how good the acting and story is, I never saw them coming until they were there.

Often, other series lose something as the seasons pass, they are not quite what they once were, yet Vera comes out fighting in its' twelfth year. Way to go, Vera.

Try 30 days of free premium.