Try 30 days of free premium.

British TV/General Discussion

BritMystery wrote a year ago: 1

@deedee713 wrote:
Thanks, Brit. I'm a little better on shows without the American Humane or the foreign equivalent seal, but only a little. Trapped was the worst so far.

The three shows you name look interesting, I'll give them a look-see.

I've been binging Grantchester for lack of a show, Norton wasn't bad second time 'round, but Brittney was still too pretty. Norton in a behind the scenes calls out his teeth.

N.B. The recaps of Endeavour, Season 9, are out there.

Yea, Deedee I have seen sprinklings of "Endeavour" talk out there and I am avoiding it all. I want to watch the final season of the series without anyone elses chatter regarding what they think of it in my head.

Of the shows I spoke of above, I think you would most enjoy "The Investigation", it is right up you alley. To fill you in a bit more, this is a true story and a recent one. The series speaks only to the investigators and the parents of Kim Wall's point of view. The name of the other person at the center of the story is never mentioned, they intentionally do not utter his name not to give him an ounce of publicity...not one ounce. 

This is fine with me, I still don't know his name and won't bother to look it up. I'll honour the intent of the series and let the dogged work of the investigation team and the strength of the parents stay with me. We see this painstaking investigation, with all it's frustrations and setbacks, as it really happened without any move to make it "Hollywood", for a lack of a better term. Slow, plodding, infuriating at times, but they never give up. I was enthralled, others may find it too slow for their taste. 

One thing I will say, because you will feel it as soon as I did (as well as the lead detective) - I knew in the very first discussion amongst the team members that we were dealing with a murder. This is without the benefit of knowing anything about the story. Outside of Jens, the Chief, it took the rest of the team a while to come to the same conclusion. They were much more cautious to say so...for Jen, me (and you) it is/will be a gut reaction - this is no accident. Let me know if I am right about this, 'cause I feel you will know it as early as I did.

I think that Soler will like "Bancroft", more than you will. If you liked Marcella, you will get her. There is little honest justice about her, I find her fascinating, you most likely will not.

I know you don't have Prime Soler, but if you get an opportunity to view the series, do so because I think you would enjoy it.

solar wrote a year ago: 2

Still  watching  eps. from  LOTSW  Brit ....  last one I saw  was from 2015 , so we're up to the newer eps now .  Looked at the IMDB  page for  Bancroft  ,  liked  what I saw , will store it in the back of my mind , hopefully  it will pop up somewhere . 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

True, Brit. I've watched too many crime dramas to assume accident or coincidence! I yelled murder right away.

Funny thing, I have seen this series already, but for lack of anything else in the offing right now, I'm rewatching it. I am also enjoying Soren Malling, and given it's Denmark, am ready to shut my eyes when I see innocent creatures on the screen.

Next up, the two Korean dramas. I don't usually like shows with Gen Z only casts, but if you say it's good, I will give it a go.

@deedee713 wrote:
True, Brit. I've watched too many crime dramas to assume accident or coincidence! I yelled murder right away.

Funny thing, I have seen this series already, but for lack of anything else in the offing right now, I'm rewatching it. I am also enjoying Soren Malling, and given it's Denmark, am ready to shut my eyes when I see innocent creatures on the screen.

Next up, the two Korean dramas. I don't usually like shows with Gen Z only casts, but if you say it's good, I will give it a go.

May want to hold off on the Korean dramas, Deedee because more episodes of "Astrid" S1 are coming up in the next few weeks. Check your TV guide, I have everything set to record. I probably should say, this is the case by me, because my local PBS stopped at E5 or 6 and just now more of S1 are popping up. Also, I read that PBS will air (on TV) the second series this coming fall. 

I will caution you that Korean detective dramas are a big commitment. There is a great deal of "drama" in them. There is nothing linear in their storylines, they start one place and you end up with something totally different from what you first imagined. 

The stories grow in to other investigations and then there are off shoots from those - there is always a good amount of corruption thrown in that becomes an investigation on to itself. They also have lots of episodes, it takes time to finish because you can't do it in a binge or even too quickly. I usually watch an episode or two - go to something else, then go back to it. That's one of the reasons I enjoy them so much, the nature of the productions themselves cause them to be part of my viewing life for quite awhile. I know they will become part of my TV DNA for  a good bit.

My favorite actors are Cho Seung-Woo (I love him in anything he does) and Bae Doona, the leads in "Stranger", they are terrific together. Season 2 with those two was just as good as S1. They are a perfect team. At this point I have seen enough Korean TV to find familiar faces in various series, which I think is great. It's an " oh, look who's here" moment.

I am nearing the end of "Signal" (two more episodes to go) and it was a very sad episode last night. Corruption abounds in this story...Cho Jin-Woong is very good in this as the good detective in a sea of vipers. 

The interesting thing about this one is that is crosses back and forth between two time periods. You need to suspend reality a bit (it is titled a fantasy police procedure because of this so full disclosure there).  I know the ending will be more up-beat, they usually are in Korean TV serials, but I am not sure what is going to happen next or where we are going to wind-up. And that sums it up right there, fourteen episodes in and I can't predict the end. Although, I do know the most corrupt detective I have seen in a while is going to go down one way or another. 

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 2

The Investigation - even better the second time around, thanks. An emotional watch.

Started to watch Stranger, but again, I had begun it before. This time around, think it's different, the CC are on top and the Japanese is shown at bottom. Too hard to follow, sadly.

Oh good news indeed on Astrid, a very good watch.

Found, on PBS late late at night - Halifax Retribution. Australian cop drama, look pretty good, but oddly, Anthony LaPaglia plays an American. Sadly, PBS streaming only allows it on PBS Masterpiece and not PBS Passport, which I have. Greed is good, PBS?

Another find, this time flipping the channels, came across MGM+. Who? Turns out MGM took over EPIX, where I saw the excellent War of the the Worlds, with Gabriel Byrne. Show I found is A Spy Among Friends. Seems pretty good. Damian Lewis is English, this time 'round. Good part, FIOS forced me to have EPIX. Bad part, they only have 3 episodes and there are 6 in total.

@deedee713 wrote:
The Investigation - even better the second time around, thanks. An emotional watch.

Started to watch Stranger, but again, I had begun it before. This time around, think it's different, the CC are on top and the Japanese is shown at bottom. Too hard to follow, sadly.

Oh good news indeed on Astrid, a very good watch.

Found, on PBS late late at night - Halifax Retribution. Australian cop drama, look pretty good, but oddly, Anthony LaPaglia plays an American. Sadly, PBS streaming only allows it on PBS Masterpiece and not PBS Passport, which I have. Greed is good, PBS?

Another find, this time flipping the channels, came across MGM+. Who? Turns out MGM took over EPIX, where I saw the excellent War of the the Worlds, with Gabriel Byrne. Show I found is A Spy Among Friends. Seems pretty good. Damian Lewis is English, this time 'round. Good part, FIOS forced me to have EPIX. Bad part, they only have 3 episodes and there are 6 in total.

Deedee, I would think we all know by now that Kenny Doughty (Aiden) is not coming back for any further episodes of "Vera". I now understand that cryptic Instagram post of his. He is leaving, the series "Vera" is not. Given BB' s age though, I can't imagine we will have more than a few more seasons, not a long time to get use to someone new to the team, particularly someone so close to Vera.

I can understand why he chose to leave at this point, it was an excellent last season and with eight years under his belt as Aiden, and no specific date of the series return, he needs to move on to something else. 

Brenda has chosen wisely in both her sidekicks, both actors were pitch perfect in regard to their on-screen chemistry with her, so I would expect her to do as well with her next.

"Halifax Retribution"... I watched that some time ago with Appara and we had quite a discussion about it. The lead, Jane Halifax and her friend (not Anthony LaPaglia) on the force drove me crazy with regard to their professional approach (or lack thereof). If I remember correctly they shared info they should not have on numerous occasions. I would blow-up every time. Not that I didn't watch the entire thing - of course I did, I just had to complain throughout. That's half the fun!

"A Spy Among Friends" didn't pull me to watch, so I skipped it.  

Finished S5 of "Strike" - won't say much not to spoil it, but that women (you know who I mean), oh my, was she the epitome of evil. That last shot of her gave me chills. 

Spoken now as a tourist, the scene of Cormoran and Robin shopping at the end is at the Royal Arcade on Old Bond Street. I was there on my last trip and have a photo of the Arcade all decked out for Christmas same as we saw on screen. Hope to return this year again. Mayfair has the best shopping! I keep telling the Hubs I am packing light so I have room in my suitcase for my purchases this next trip. He gives me "the look". 😀

Been enjoying   Manhunt ...   ( knowledge network )   with  Martin  Clunes  as  DCI Colin Sutton .  Been lookin' for this series as I have not seen Clunes in anything else other than an old Morse  ep. (  think it was Morse ) .  This series  is a  good  who-done-it  and enjoying  Clunes with not a trace of  Doc Martin in him .  Noticed  the Executive Producer is  Philippa  Braithwaite ,  think she is married to  Clunes but not sure .    

@solar wrote:
Been enjoying   Manhunt ...   ( knowledge network )   with  Martin  Clunes  as  DCI Colin Sutton .  Been lookin' for this series as I have not seen Clunes in anything else other than an old Morse  ep. (  think it was Morse ) .  This series  is a  good  who-done-it  and enjoying  Clunes with not a trace of  Doc Martin in him .  Noticed  the Executive Producer is  Philippa  Braithwaite ,  think she is married to  Clunes but not sure .    

Martin Clunes is really good in "Manhunt", Solar, I watched it on Acorn TV when I still had a subscription. I think there are two seasons of that - let me check... yes, there is. This is one of his better serious roles outside of Doc Martin (which has thankfully finally come to an end). Yes, Philippa Braithwaite is his wife and production partner.

....  Spoilers for "Vera" E 12....

Deedee, I finished the last episode of "Vera" S12 - The Darkest Evening... the Stanhope family dynamic part of the story was interesting - this is Hector 's family, a side of which we have never been privy to - the episode itself though, is my least favorite of the season. To me, there were holes in the story, several times I had a raised eyebrow and I did not like how it ended - we are left to believe an old, controlling, manipulative piece of you know what seduced that lovely girl and terrorized her to the point of killing her (and then leaves his child alone to the elements in a storm). That scene with him in the police station just hung there like a ton of bricks. He was repulsive and no way was I buying his relationship with Lorna.

I didn't like the story and the one good part - of Ronnie (Kevin Doyle) - was never fully developed as it could have been. 

It was BB and team that pulled off a less than stellar script, that's the only thing that saved it from my standpoint. It doesn't take away from an excellent season, but I'll be skipping this one in a future rewatch.

deedee713 wrote a year ago: 1

Brit, where did you watch Halifax Retribution? I didn't like her, but I watch from a wasteland of programs. Speaking of which, Amazon didn't have Grantchester 6 and 7, so I went to PBS Passport. Did you see the last season? All I can say is Barf.

I am quite sorry that Aidan is leaving Vera, I hope they don't hire a reject from DIP.

Do you know what I find disturbing? I watch shows like the last of Vera and promptly forget about them. My cranial problems or their lack of impactful storylines? Any Poirot on PBS of late on television.....completely forgettable. Due to lack of the gang, or lousy writing? I don't know.

solar wrote a year ago: 1

BritMystery     I didn't like the story and the one good part - of Ronnie (Kevin Doyle) - was never fully developed as it could have been. 

Brit  ..  just saw  Kevin  Doyle  in   this  weekends   Midsomer .  

@solar wrote:
BritMystery     I didn't like the story and the one good part - of Ronnie (Kevin Doyle) - was never fully developed as it could have been. 

Brit  ..  just saw  Kevin  Doyle  in   this  weekends   Midsomer .  

Soler, I enjoy Kevin Doyle everytime I see him on screen. He is such a great character actor.  Was that the episode of Midsomer where he played the magician? That is such a good one.

@deedee713 wrote:
Brit, where did you watch Halifax Retribution? I didn't like her, but I watch from a wasteland of programs. Speaking of which, Amazon didn't have Grantchester 6 and 7, so I went to PBS Passport. Did you see the last season? All I can say is Barf.

I am quite sorry that Aidan is leaving Vera, I hope they don't hire a reject from DIP.

Do you know what I find disturbing? I watch shows like the last of Vera and promptly forget about them. My cranial problems or their lack of impactful storylines? Any Poirot on PBS of late on television.....completely forgettable. Due to lack of the gang, or lousy writing? I don't know.

Deedee, in thinking about this there are a few points to consider. One; let's be honest, we are TV people. That is the the tie that binds us together. We met because of our love of British TV, particularly detective/investigation stories and this has stayed with us through all these years. We are not the people who watch TV out of boredom or to keep ourselves occupied - no, we watch our shows because we love it. We are always looking for that next story/show that speaks to us and when we find it we are elated. We just purely enjoy it. 

We are lucky because when we are in our nineties and can't get around as we now do, we will happily rewatch our favorites of old like they were new again because we won't remember the plots! We will always keep ourselves entertained.

Which leads to my second point. A good portion of what we watch are mystery/investigation shows, some on the lighter side and some that are heavy and complicated. Beyond this, we typically are watching a number of shows in overlap. Most times I have a least three that I am watching simultaneously and many times, more than that. This and that comes on once a week, while we are watching something else on streaming. Add the fact that we watch series from many countries, in a slew of languages - Swedish, Danish, French, Korean, Japanese and Italian, it can be much keeping all the balls in the air and the stories straight. Sometimes we get them a bit confused. That's okay. I'd rather have a momentary lapse and forget something than cut down my viewing because I like having the mental stimulation of figuring out the puzzles of these investigations and having different stories to go back and forth to. That's what we enjoy. (For Soler, the subtitles...not so much 😉)

And third, we may not be quite the same as we were back in the mid 2000's when we could recite chapter and verse on a show/episode without taking a breath - we may have slowed down a little, but that being said, we are not that far off. We can still hold our own with the best of them when it comes to discussing TV series.

Finally, for us Poirot is total comfort watching. It is what I watch late at night when I want to be gently entertained. It is soothing - it is more food for the soul than anything else. That's why we are still watching them. I read somewhere recently that it has been ten years since David Suchet finished his last episode of the TV series.

Spoilers ..."River". 

The above being said, guess what pops up on my local PBS station... The TV series "River". Decided to watch it again, this will be my third watch. The first time I thought it was great. On my second watch, I saw things differently than I did in my first go around and didn't enjoy it as much. I hold River totally responsible for the unnecessary death of the young man in his pursuit because of his monoptic thinking in regard to the investigation of Stevie's death.  First time I watched, I didn't quite see this as clearly - second time, it negatively colored all the choices he made from that point on (for me). He was wrong no matter how much he initially tries to give himself excuses. Wrong when he did it and wrong in the end. You can't make up for the loss of someone 's life. 

I am putting this aside for my third watch and trying to take it in without prejudice. Nicola Walker is terrific in this. And, I don't remember everything about the storyline - in fact, I have forgotten a lot - which actually makes it interesting to see again. So much for retaining storylines, people! 😀

We are lucky because when we are in our nineties and can't get around as we now do, we will happily rewatch our favorites of old like they were new again because we won't remember the plots! We will always keep ourselves entertained.

Hah! Perfectly and diplomatically put! You can be in the state department.

All true and well thought out, as are your posts. 

Quite right on River, but I think he lost it when she died, witness the last episode. Like Morse, I couldn't watch it a third time. But oh, that dance.

Anyone see Holding

@BritMystery   wrote 

Soler, I enjoy Kevin Doyle everytime I see him on screen. He is such a great character actor.  Was that the episode of Midsomer where he played the magician? That is such a good one.

Thats the one  Brit .

@deedee713 wrote:

All true and well thought out, as are your posts. 

Quite right on River, but I think he lost it when she died, witness the last episode. Like Morse, I couldn't watch it a third time. But oh, that dance.

Anyone see Holding

😁

You asked where I first watched "Halifax Retribution", I am pretty sure Appara and I watched on PBS when it first aired. I am with you, not a fan of Jane Halifax. I wouldn't move myself to watch another season if it appeared.

Regarding "Grantchester" - I watch the first few episodes of every new season and then I throw the towel in. I rarely make it to the end of a season, I always lose interest. Although, I did purposely watch the last two episodes of the season when Sidney was leaving because of all the hype. That ending seemed so thrown together I shouldn't have bothered.

No to "Holding" because I don't have Acorn TV. I read the synopsis and it does sound like it could be a good one. Let me know.

Holding was good, not great. Conleth Hill, new to me, was also good.

I found the last season of Grantchester to be rushed. It was also, imo.........................................SPOILER.............................

treacly. I am very glad they finally let Leonard be happy.

Oh, and on to Staged. I don't like David Tennant and am quite enjoying David in this. And the excellent Michael Sheen is in it.

An homage to the horror of the Covid lockdown.

On Britbox.

Will be nice when Endeavour comes back for the communality.

Some good news!

Vera confirms series 13 - and a major character who left the show is coming back... for the new episodes David Leon will reprise his previous role as DS Joe Ashworth. 

So happy to hear this! 🙌

Try 30 days of free premium.