Try 30 days of free premium.

DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW - Voting how to list Crisis Part V episode

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

This is a one of a kind situation here.

Official sources list this episode as a special or 5.00 or whatever, they call the episode after it the season premiere, but none of all the Crisis episodes during the last 5 years were ever a special.
We have three options:

1. To list it as a special (which we never did before with a crisis episode)

2. To list it as 5.01 (which goes against official listing)

3. To list it as 5.00 (which goes against our policy, we never did that before)

Everyone who cares about this, please vote and then I will bring this to david and jan :)

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

To be precise, official sources does not declare it as a special. They just call the next episode "season premiere" :)

After consideration my vote is 2 (regular episode).

BTW, I think it is better to move the topic to TC forum.

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Because:

- The other 4 shows didn't list the crossover episodes as specials.
- As far as I can tell this whole thing is only a issue because The CW have been listing the episode as Ep. 508, which it's obviously not.
- Airs in the regular timeslot.
- Hulu listing it as S5E1.

LadyShelley wrote 4 years ago: 2

Was the numbering different for the other shows involved? 

If not, it should be 501. 

The only reason it's termed a "special" by CW media is because Legends was the only show participating in the crossover that wasn't already airing episodes. I haven't watched it, but there could be an argument that the story takes place outside the regular 'canon' for the show (meaning you could miss the episode and not lose any context for the actual series). 

Tonks wrote 4 years ago: 1

I vote 2 as well. 

TonyMayhew wrote 4 years ago: 1

Having watched all parts & the subsequent Arrow, Legends episodes etc that followed, I can confirm it is part of an on-going storyline, so I would say option #2.

Why the heck the CW didn't just go with this as 5.01 in the first instance is stupid IMO. It will be interesting to see how they list it in the Season 5 box-set, when it comes out...

MTQueenie wrote 4 years ago: 1

I don't watch the show but if official sources lists it as a season premiere then i would go with option #2 regardless of them calling it 5.00

MTQueenie wrote:
I don't watch the show but if official sources lists it as a season premiere then i would go with option #2 regardless of them calling it 5.00

They do not, they list the next episode as season premiere :(

Tonks wrote 4 years ago: 1

Aidan wrote:
If anything they're calling it 5.08

it's because that's the production number. It was filmed at the same as all the other episodes 8 for the crossover.

So far everyone here is for option 2, makes also the most sense to me after thinking about it, let's wait a few more hours and then we take action :)

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 2

as no one objects I will go with option 2 and add an edit wiki.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

As I said in the other thread, I saw stuff calling LoT a "special episode" and said the season premiere would be the 21st, but then when Melissa Benoist was on Corden, he referred to the episode prior to Crisis as the midseason finale almost like Crisis was a special all it's own. But since we can't do that since CW didn't specifically say they're specials, I'd vote 2... just because it's stupid for CW to air an episode that follows the show's storyline canon a week before the season premiere, so how does that not make it the premiere? Specials like Downton Abbey and Doctor Who and Call The Midwife follow the same storylines but air some time before or after the season they're attached to.

The episode order also comes into play, if they ordered 15 episodes and we say there's 15 then we only have 14, that's not going to match up.

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

Another thought, since Crisis was listed as 508, is it possible it was supposed to be the 8th episode of the season but they decided to hold the series till the new year and in so doing have messed up the order they were intended to air? Time may tell if things occur in 501-507 that lead up, in some way, to 508. ymmv

SilverSurfer wrote:
Another thought, since Crisis was listed as 508, is it possible it was supposed to be the 8th episode of the season but they decided to hold the series till the new year and in so doing have messed up the order they were intended to air? Time may tell if things occur in 501-507 that lead up, in some way, to 508. ymmv

No, they just mentioned the crisis ep in Episode 2 :) 

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
No, they just mentioned the crisis ep in Episode 2 :) 

Well, ummm, errrrr, ahhh ... they are time travelers so they know whats coming in 508? That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! ;)

SilverSurfer wrote:
Well, ummm, errrrr, ahhh ... they are time travelers so they know whats coming in 508? That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Hahaha :) 

LadyShelley wrote 4 years ago: 1

Part of this problem is the CW wants to have its cake and eat it too. 

What they want, and in part how they've advertised it, is to consider Crisis as a sort of mini series unto itself. It would not surprise me in the least if the five episodes are bundled together as a single DVD/Blu Ray release for example. 

On the other hand, they also want the rating boost the lower rated shows (Supergirl and Black Panther we're looking at you) gain from riding the coat-tails of The Flash and BatWoman. So they air each individual episode within its regular series instead of as a mini-series, separate from the original programs. 

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

LadyShelley wrote:
Part of this problem is the CW wants to have its cake and eat it too. 

What they want, and in part how they've advertised it, is to consider Crisis as a sort of mini series unto itself. It would not surprise me in the least if the five episodes are bundled together as a single DVD/Blu Ray release for example. 

They actually already doing it online, listing it as a mini-series on its own https://www.cwtv.com/shows/crisis-on-infinite-earths/

On the other hand, they also want the rating boost the lower rated shows (Supergirl and Black Panther we're looking at you) gain from riding the coat-tails of The Flash and BatWoman. So they air each individual episode within its regular series instead of as a mini-series, separate from the original programs. 

There's this of course :) But it also affects the course of events in all shows (besides Legends so far), with introduction of Earth Prime, assembling their own "Justice League" etc. Also worth mentioning, that events of the Crisis didn't started with it's first episode, there was a build-up in all affected shows basically from the beginning of their respective seasons.

So it can't be seen simply as a separate stand-alone story which could be skipped seamlessly, it's a part of seasonal arcs (or conclusion of it, like in Arrow). Imagine skipping it while watching Arrow, and wondering later, what the hell happened to Oliver :D

Legends are bit different, and they're actually making jokes about how they don't care about crossovers :) But they aware of the Crisis (most of them anyway), and it's consequences potentially could be revealed further along the season run.

Try 30 days of free premium.