Try 30 days of free premium.

Votes for shows that haven't started

fenlander wrote 4 years ago: 1

I notice that Picard is already showing a score of 7.3 based on 7 votes, even though it doesn't start showing until next year. Presumably based on the trailer?

Is it sensible to allow voting for shows with release dates well in the future?

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

fenlander wrote:
I notice that Picard is already showing a score of 7.3 based on 7 votes, even though it doesn't start showing until next year. Presumably based on the trailer?

Is it sensible to allow voting for shows with release dates well in the future?

I'm against it too somehow, yet some are convinced that it should be left open for those who have access to it (like reporters) that are able to vote. Not reliable tho.

JuanArango wrote 4 years ago: 1

I would also love it that the voting starts after the premiere has aired and not before.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

Sometimes I've accidentally voted, mostly when using the phone, for shows and episodes that haven't aired. I don't vote on a whole and can't remove them, so I just change it to 5 to be neutral lol Some votes might be like that for others as well.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

kevin87 wrote:
Sometimes I've accidentally voted, mostly when using the phone, for shows and episodes that haven't aired. I don't vote on a whole and can't remove them, so I just change it to 5 to be neutral lol Some votes might be like that for others as well.

You actually could delete your voting via the api, though it's a bit tricky and not sure if you need premium for that either.

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

I wouldn't mind some sort of middle ground, like opening for votes 2-3 weeks before it airs. That way anyone with early access can still vote and we don't have to endure sillyness like this show which had more than 4 votes before it even started production.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

I agree with Aidan. I'd open the show/pilot episode voting approx. a month before premiere, and regular episode voting a week before broadcast (IDK maybe even a week is too much).

The biggest problem is that relatively few people are voting. Should we get at least 50 votes per show/episode, early voting would fall within the margin of error and won't have a significant impact ot the result.

Maybe TPTB could come with a way to encourage people to vote more, add more achievement badges or something, or create a voter leaderboard, something like that :)

Jan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Most likely, early votes are an indicator of sentiment rather than quality.
We left voting open for those who do have early access to the episodes.

I'm ok with going along with the above suggestion of only making voting possible after a show has aired for the sake of accuracy. However I want to see/improve a bit more the the average user's engagement in voting first.

Feel free to share on how you think we can accomplish that first (without nagging users to vote). :)

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Jan wrote:

Feel free to share on how you think we can accomplish that first (without nagging users to vote). :)

Well, as I've suggested before, maybe more achievements would work? It seems that some people are eager to get them :) Now we have what, three? First vote, first 250, and then 2500. Maybe something inbetween, like 1000 or something. Maybe two more, like replace 250 with 100, and add 500 and 1000. Maybe create a leaderboard of top 10 voters. And to prevent sentiment/random votes on the shows, allow user to vote on the show only after he's marked at least one episode as watched.

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Also worth noting that the number of votes we're getting on shows is a lot better than the voting on episodes. So those two might have to be handled differently.

SilverSurfer wrote 4 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
I would also love it that the voting starts after the premiere has aired and not before.

+1 or rather than 'aired' say 'becomes 'available' since some shows are leaked early or appear on the web earlier than broadcast.

I'd also be OK with limiting it to say 30 days ahead of time but months & months seems, to me, to be way too much leeway. The number of ratings by people who have actual, firsthand knowledge that far in advance has got to be minuscule at best. ymv

Try 30 days of free premium.