Try 30 days of free premium.

Discovery+ in the U.S./World

Nivekolsen wrote 3 years ago: 1

Question ab. Discovery+:

Why do we have a seperate discovery+ web channel for U.S. and then one for the world? Discovery+ US may have exclusive contet for the US, but so does most countries? The series "Ghost Adventures: Top 10" is not avaliable in my country, and local shows here are not on US or UK Discovery+, but there are some overlaps; are we supposed to have a seperate web channel for each country that has original programming or is there something unique about the US one?

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@Nivekolsen wrote:
Question ab. Discovery+:

Why do we have a seperate discovery+ web channel for U.S. and then one for the world? Discovery+ US may have exclusive contet for the US, but so does most countries? The series "Ghost Adventures: Top 10" is not avaliable in my country, and local shows here are not on US or UK Discovery+, but there are some overlaps; are we supposed to have a seperate web channel for each country that has original programming or is there something unique about the US one?

As we only have one Amazon prime and one Netflix,w e should only have one Discovery+ in my opinion.

What do the others say about this? @gazza911 @Thomas @tnt @RoseRed 

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

@JuanArango wrote:
As we only have one Amazon prime and one Netflix,w e should only have one Discovery+ in my opinion.

As far as I'm aware, the original content on Netflix and Prime Video is available globally (sometimes except the country of origin, which receives it later). Discovery themselves, however, speak separately about discovery+ U.S. (and it's exclusive original shows) and the rest of the world. I did not saw any mentions of any other country having their own exclusive shows. 

https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/discovery-announces-the-global-launch-of-discovery-the-definitive-streaming-service-for-the-best-real-life-entertainment-in-the-world-debuting-january-4-2021/

RoseRed wrote 3 years ago: 1

@JuanArango wrote:

Nivekolsen makes a good point.

@tnt wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the original content on Netflix and Prime Video is available globally (sometimes except the country of origin, which receives it later). Discovery themselves, however, speak separately about discovery+ U.S. (and it's exclusive original shows) and the rest of the world. I did not saw any mentions of any other country having their own exclusive shows. 

https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/discovery-announces-the-global-launch-of-discovery-the-definitive-streaming-service-for-the-best-real-life-entertainment-in-the-world-debuting-january-4-2021/

Discovery+ (or Dplay as it was named previously) has had original series for Scandinavia for years, most of which are not avaliable in say the UK or US today, despite still beeing on the Discovery+-website in Scandinavia. The comedy series "Aldri voksen" is not avaliable in the UK, but is avaliable in all/most of the nordic regions, the series "Alle mot Alle" which is currently airing in Norway, is not avalibale in any other country than Norway.

I just wanted to see if there was a policy for this; cause to your point - Netflix don't have Netflix originals that are excluisive to a specific country; so this is a weird issue.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@Nivekolsen wrote:
Discovery+ (or Dplay as it was named previously) has had original series for Scandinavia for years, most of which are not avaliable in say the UK or US today, despite still beeing on the Discovery+-website in Scandinavia. The comedy series "Aldri voksen" is not avaliable in the UK, but is avaliable in all/most of the nordic regions, the series "Alle mot Alle" which is currently airing in Norway, is not avalibale in any other country than Norway.

I just wanted to see if there was a policy for this; cause to your point - Netflix don't have Netflix originals that are excluisive to a specific country; so this is a weird issue.

I agree this is a weird issue, but do we want to have Discovery+ channels for several countries?

@JuanArango wrote:
I agree this is a weird issue, but do we want to have Discovery+ channels for several countries?

We have several HBO, for example.
And if I'm not mistaken, we've had a separate Dplay web channel for each of the Scandinavian countries, because they all had their own original content. Now they all mixed together, and you don't know which show available in which country anymore. This way is preferable to you?

I see nothing weird if this difference is used properly: global shows added to a global channel, and U.S. only shows added to U.S. channel. Yeah, I suppose it's a bit more difficult because one has to pay attention when adding a show or approving a request, as opposed to simply hit the Approve button.

@Nivekolsen wrote:

HBO has such originals, therefore we have a few local HBO web channels. There's no policy on this matter, either no one thought about such possibility, or there was no such cases back then.

@tnt wrote:
We have several HBO, for example.
And if I'm not mistaken, we've had a separate Dplay web channel for each of the Scandinavian countries, because they all had their own original content. Now they all mixed together, and you don't know which show available in which country anymore. This way is preferable to you?

I see nothing weird if this difference is used properly: global shows added to a global channel, and U.S. only shows added to U.S. channel. Yeah, I suppose it's a bit more difficult because one has to pay attention when adding a show or approving a request, as opposed to simply hit the Approve button.

No, we didn't. There was only one Dplay for all the Scandinavian shows; regardless of what country they aired in and were exclusive to.

kevin87 wrote 3 years ago: 0

To me, what it comes down to is different services with the same name. The stuff on Discovery+ in the US is reality/home renovation/food/nature stuff and has some of the broadcast shows moving to there while the global one has some scripted shows, and apparently some have free content while the US is subscription only. 

@tnt wrote:
HBO has such originals, therefore we have a few local HBO web channels.

It's different (imo) with HBO, as they activley call their web channels "HBO Nordic, Spain, Europe" etc., and they are all clearly seperated from each other - that doesn't seem to be the case with Discovery+. It also seems annoying to add a new web channel for the few shows this concern - and what about the nordic shows - avaliable in Norway, Sweden & Denmark; but not in the UK; do they go in the global one? Do we have one for the nordics?

@Nivekolsen wrote:
No, we didn't. There was only one Dplay for all the Scandinavian shows; regardless of what country they aired in and were exclusive to.

Ok, I wasn't sure. Probably we just had a localized URL for each of them.

How many of those shows are available in your country (if any)?
https://www.tvmaze.com/shows?Show%5BwebChannel_id%5D=436

@Aidan wrote:
Discovery+ in my region doesn't seem to be entirely in sync with the .us one.

Gold Rush: Freddy Dodge's Mine Rescue

have 5 episodes listed as aired, but the nordic service only list 2 episodes.

This is weird, I live in Norway - and in my country it has 3 episodes? What country are you looking at? Sweden?

@Nivekolsen wrote:
It's different (imo) with HBO, as they activley call their web channels "HBO Nordic, Spain, Europe" etc., and they are all clearly seperated from each other - that doesn't seem to be the case with Discovery+. It also seems annoying to add a new web channel for the few shows this concern - and what about the nordic shows - avaliable in Norway, Sweden & Denmark; but not in the UK; do they go in the global one? Do we have one for the nordics?

In the press release I've mentioned above, Discovery makes a distinction only between U.S. and the rest of the world. Should they make such a distinction between European, Asian or Latin American countries, we probably would follow.

Aidan wrote 3 years ago: 2

@Nivekolsen wrote:
This is weird, I live in Norway - and in my country it has 3 episodes? What country are you looking at? Sweden?

Ah, my mistake, I see 3 episodes too. It was only listing episodes 1 and 3 this morning. It's still out of sync with the listing we have here, tho.

@tnt wrote:
In the press release I've mentioned above, Discovery makes a distinction only between U.S. and the rest of the world. Should they make such a distinction between European, Asian or Latin American countries, we probably would follow.

In the Norwegian press release it states that Dplay is changing it's name and expanding to include the US, India and many other countries; and that this is the first move to expand their brand name. The press release you mentioned just seems to explain what the streaming service is and what it will offer to a US audience, including US exclusives - of cource the US press release would focus on the US? The only difference I see is that Discovery+ is "owned" by Verizon in the US.

TomSouthwell wrote 3 years ago: 2

The UK deifinately has some original shows or spinoffs of original UK series airing and been advertised on the series. I'm assuming they may be available on the US version of the service though at the same time with it been in English? 

Try 30 days of free premium.